Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
GRE Subject Tests
I am very pleased that I got this opportunity to study these subjects, since it has been a dream of mine for a long time. I studied for almost one year and it went really well; I am sure it helped that I enjoyed learning the topics. I am still very excited about my good results – score 580, 69th percentile, 12 lower-level and 12 upper-level credits earned!

Note: This was the last chance to take the GRE for credit at Excelsior College. If you are interested, be sure to check with Charter Oak State College (COSC) and Empire State College. They may still give credit for these exams. COSC has not reviewed the Biochemistry GRE. It is not known whether they will give credit for this particular exam. Also, some of the credit awarded for this exam may duplicate other credit in similar subjects, such as the Biology, Chemistry, or Natural Science CLEPs. (Despite this, I am glad I took the Chemistry and Biology CLEPs first. Having seen some of the words and concepts before did help me, but even the “Intro” books I used for the GRE were so much deeper and with a new vocabulary on the same topics.)

I read about 10 books and 5 websites. It helped me to start with the basics and build from there. It also helped to review the material with each new book and get a different perspective on the same processes from each new author. I was happy that most of the books had been published recently. I liked all of them and learned a lot.

I was well prepared for reaching 80th percentile (my goal for full credit) on the real test. I had learned the concepts well; I had also done lots of review and memorization of the processes.

Books:

Molecular & Cell Biology for Dummies - Amazon.com: Molecular and Cell Biology For Dummies (9780470430668): Rene Fester Kratz PhD: Books

Genetics for Dummies - Amazon.com: Genetics For Dummies (For Dummies (Math & Science)) (9780470551745): Tara Rodden Robinson: Books

Biochemistry for Dummies - Amazon.com: Biochemistry For Dummies (9780470194287): John T. Moore, Richard Langley: Books

Molecular Biology Made Simple & Fun - Amazon.com: Molecular Biology made simple and fun, 4th edition (9781889899091): David P. Clark, Lonnie D. Russell: Books

Biochemistry I and II – Cliff’s Notes free online – Biochemistry I - CliffsNotes
(I have printed so much of this site that I should have bought these books, too.)

Lippincott’s Illustrated Review of Biochemistry and companion website -
Amazon.com: Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry (Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Series) (9781608314126): Richard A. Harvey PhD, Denise R. Ferrier: Books

Lippincott’s Illustrated Review of Cell and Molecular Biology and companion website -
Amazon.com: Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Cell and Molecular Biology (Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Series) (9780781792103): Nalini Chandar, Susan Viselli: Books
This is a brand new book, which was written by teachers who use the LIR Biochemistry book. I think they have done a great job covering different material. I am glad I have both books. It explained a lot of things that I struggled with in the earlier books.

BIOS Instant Notes in Molecular Biology - Amazon.com: BIOS Instant Notes in Molecular Biology (9780415351676): Phil Turner, Alexander McLennan, Andy Bates, Michael White: Books
(I only had time to read a few parts of this book.)

Websites:

GRE Subject Test forum - GRE Subject Tests

After reading about them, there is something about seeing the animations of these concepts that is really helpful:

DNA Structure - DNA Structure - Contents page

Genetics with virtual labs - Learn.Genetics™

Howard Hughes Medical Institute Biointeractive - HHMI's BioInteractive - Animations
The sections I like are Animations, Click & Learn, and Virtual Labs.

Boyer – Concepts in Biochemistry 3rd edition 2006 – Boyer: Concepts in Biochemistry, 3rd Edition - Student Companion Site

Boyer – Concepts in Biochemistry 2nd edition 2002 - Welcome to Interactive Concepts in Biochemistry

Lehninger - Principles of Biochemistry 4th edition – Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry

Lehninger - Principles of Biochemistry 5th edition – Lehninger, Principles of Biochemistry, Fifth Edition

There are 2 website editions for each textbook. The versions have many similarities, but a few differences.

Practice Tests:

REA GRE Biochemistry Test study guide - Amazon.com: GRE Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology with TestWare (REA): Second edition (REA Test Preps) (9780738608341): Thomas E. Smith, Marguerite Wilton Coomes: Books
This is the only study guide available for the Biochemistry GRE. It is not highly rated in reviews, but I learned a lot from the material covered, charts, and practice tests.

ETS – official Subject GRE website - GRE Subject Tests: About the GRE Subject Tests
If you might take this test in the future, keep checking the official site for new practice tests to download. Three official practice tests have been released for the Biochemistry GRE so far. The older versions can be found at the GRE forum (see link in section above).

With all of this study, I was able to get 70-80th percentile on the GRE practice tests. (I had studied a long time – 5 or 6 months – and learned a lot – 7th book – before I started to see some questions I knew on the practice tests.)

To get 80th percentile on the real test, I needed a few more things. I needed to manage my nerves and time better on the real test. I needed a little bit more vocabulary. (I was unfamiliar with 2 or 3 words and did not know if they made an actual difference in the correct answer to the question.) I needed more practice with applying my knowledge quickly to different scenarios. (A large number of questions are asked in a short amount of time.) I also needed more understanding of lab experiments.

Overall, I am very proud of myself for doing so well with this task. I know that others can do it, too. I hope this information will be helpful to someone.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
You might be the last of the old guard NAP. Not many people went our route in the past. Now that Excelsior is out of the mix we won't see an increase in people doing this. Hopefully they won't delete this thread until we're old and grey Wink .
It was hard to write the feedback because I knew it wouldn’t help another EC student. Hopefully, the information in this thread will still be useful for COSC and Empire State students. Maybe someone taking the Subject GRE for graduate school will find a good tip or resource, too. A forum member, who is interested in biochemistry, has already thanked me for providing the list of resource materials. That made it worth the effort!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

What you've done is amazing. Thank you for letting us know about it.
Thanks and you’re welcome from all of us!

I’d like to know how many credits have been earned through the GRE, since Alissa started talking about it 3 years ago. (Her success is the reason I joined the forum, and she may have been inspired by other members.) I am pretty sure forum members have earned 240 credits (2 whole degrees!), but it may be a lot more than we realize.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

NAP Wrote:Thanks and you’re welcome from all of us!

I’d like to know how many credits have been earned through the GRE, since Alissa started talking about it 3 years ago. (Her success is the reason I joined the forum, and she may have been inspired by other members.) I am pretty sure forum members have earned 240 credits (2 whole degrees!), but it may be a lot more than we realize.

When I first started looking at this forum for advice and encouragement for the GRE, I didn't find any. There was one member, steelers, I think was his name, who had excitement and enthusiasm regarding the test, but failed to get a high score. However, he still seemed hopeful that it was possible. Which was about all I needed to motivate me except the bottom-line cost savings. All the other posts I read said, "don't waste your time, it's too difficult." steelers' posts about the GRE were enough to plant the seed though.

KAZ Wrote:You might be the last of the old guard NAP. Not many people went our route in the past. Now that Excelsior is out of the mix we won't see an increase in people doing this. Hopefully they won't delete this thread until we're old and grey

<3 Yes, this. ^
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Wow, this is unbelievable. I am encouraged by NAP's feat. Knowing it can and has been done makes my less lofty goals seem that much closer and attainable! :-) I considered the Eng Lit GRE as a way to earn 18hrs towards my Liberal Studies Communication but decided against it since I have the required 10 weeks of Capstones to complete at COSC. It seemed like a powerful immersion.

These two links were encouraging: GRE in Literature Test Preparation primarily for her links to other sources

and also this link because he basically proposes the 10-week approach: GRE Literature Review - Study Guide

It looks like I'll be able to complete my program by the spring with online classes and a few DSSTs, but I definitely would not dismiss the GRE option. Nap, I am sobered and bolstered by your industriousness and your victory. Kudos to you~
Hi Nflight,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with me; I really appreciate it!

If you or anyone else is interested in the Literature in English GRE, we have had many successful test-takers on this forum. Here is feedback from one of them (Ruddigore): http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post80916

---------

Hi Alissa! It is so nice to see you checking in on us. Thanks for sharing that about Steelers helpful comments. I hope things are going well for you!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

This is the first time I've looked at this thread! John Bear's books never mentioned Empire State so I went with Excelsior College when I started all of this back in 1998 (yes, I'm slow!). Now that I know Empire State exists I may be dropping EC like a hot rock...like today. I took the GRE Psychology Subject test exactly once and scored a 500 after reading 16 books and long before I discovered InstantCert. I think it's reasonable to believe that I could have scored much higher if I had kept at it! Wish me luck!
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
dewisant Wrote:This is the first time I've looked at this thread! John Bear's books never mentioned Empire State so I went with Excelsior College when I started all of this back in 1998 (yes, I'm slow!). Now that I know Empire State exists I may be dropping EC like a hot rock...like today. I took the GRE Psychology Subject test exactly once and scored a 500 after reading 16 books and long before I discovered InstantCert. I think it's reasonable to believe that I could have scored much higher if I had kept at it! Wish me luck!

Definitely look at all of your options. I know you are already close to finishing a degree at EC. It is my understanding that Empire State may have a high residency requirement (30-ish credits). This means that 30 credits must be taken at that college compared to the 3 credit (capstone) residency at EC. Be sure to double-check that and compare it to the benefit of using the GRE.

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post94641

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT and Privacy Pro Tests Ashenwelt 13 2,662 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Last Post: jsd