Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
GRE Subject Tests
Kaz Wrote:..... SUNY-Empire requires you to get a crazy score in order to clear a major, like 96+% or even better :roflol: ! Plus they have a residency requirement so you can't test out completely no matter what, you'll still have to take 32(?) credits from Empire as an Empire student. Almost nobody on this forum talks about Empire precisely because of that requirement. .......

To add to this, I just found some recent information about Empire State College and GRE credits. Here is a chart on another forum for how they award credits based on various percentile levels:

GRE Credits at Empire State College and Graduate Schools
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Well, it's finally my turn to take the plunge! My best wishes to all of tomorrow's GRE test takers!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Go get 'em, tiger. Rooting for you, NAP. Good luck to anyone else in the club Smile
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
how many months should a person study for the psy GRE
how much math is included in this test ?
considering a :toetap: A.A.S in Environmental, Safety, and Security Technologies – Thomas Edison State College
kiyanalynn Wrote:how many months should a person study for the psy GRE

It depends. The next testing diet isn't until September so you have some time to think about it. If you're looking for a 40th percentile score for COSC then you'll obviously not have to study as much as for Empire State (I think these are the only two colleges still granting Subject GRE credit?)

There is very little mathematics in the test but a good understanding of reading graphs, tables and understanding which statistical tests are best for for which kind of study will help. It's a small part of the test, though.

My experience of going in to a study period was that it was my 100% focus. I had completed an intro to psychology test and statistics courses beforehand but not much else in the subject area. I was rushed due to policy changes at my college and ended up studying for up to two and a half months. This was several hours a day, every day, though.

It would probably be more beneficial to spread out your studying and mix it with taking the exams you need to complete the major. That way you are completing small goals, gaining credit and still learning throughout the period.

TBH, though, a 40th percentile pass looks extremely achievable. Get yourself a copy of the practice test from the ETS website and see how you get on, then look at the Kaplan, Princeton and (maybe) Barron's Subject GRE books, in that order.
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
kiyanalynn Wrote:how many months should a person study for the psy GRE

As irnbru said it completely depends on what you are using it for. For COSC I think you can literally just get the Princeton Review book, memorize a bunch of it well and you'll be fine. That's because of COSC's policy.

Empire State is completely different. Almost definitely no matter how much you studied you wouldn't clear the major using the GRE. Then you'd have to take classes anyway to make up the difference, which changes your strategy going into the test, and all other details that would be specific to Empire's policy.

Taking it for grad school is different altogether. You should come up with a handful of your most likely candidate schools and see how those schools weigh the test. Different schools but different values on it. For most brick&mortar undergrads trying to get into a decent psych grad program they never put the psych grad test higher than third on their priority list, and most don't even have it that high. GPA, letters of recommendation and field work/lab experience are more important.

Thank you for your encouragement. It was really nice to have.

------

It has been a year since we got the first notice of the disappointing news about the change in GRE policy at EC, but ....….

This week, I got my score for the Biochemistry GRE and I am doing cartwheels inside. I am so happy!

My score is 580 and 69th percentile on the Biochemistry GRE!

The score report and my transcript still need to be evaluated, but it could mean up to 12 lower-level and 12 upper-level credits! This would make me a Senior!

I really enjoyed studying these subjects. (Later, I will put together a list of the resources I used for students at other schools who will be taking this exam for credit.)

Many thanks to all who have supported me through this part of the journey!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

NAP Wrote:Thank you for your encouragement. It was really nice to have.

------

It has been a year since we got the first notice of the disappointing news about the change in GRE policy at EC, but ....….

This week, I got my score for the Biochemistry GRE and I am doing cartwheels inside. I am so happy!

My score is 580 and 69th percentile on the Biochemistry GRE!

The score report and my transcript still need to be evaluated, but it could mean up to 12 lower-level and 12 upper-level credits! This would make me a Senior!

I really enjoyed studying these subjects. (Later, I will put together a list of the resources I used for students at other schools who will be taking this exam for credit.)

Many thanks to all who have supported me through this part of the journey!

Way to go NAP! Congrats on a great score!! cheersmate
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
Awesome job NAP! Biochem GRE is no joke!

Kaz Wrote:Awesome job NAP! Biochem GRE is no joke!

Thank you both! I am still really excited about it!

-----

Kaz, did you get a chance to prepare for and take the Math GRE to finish your math major? I hope so!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT and Privacy Pro Tests Ashenwelt 13 2,655 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Last Post: jsd