Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honestly looking for Easy/Casual School
(11-21-2021, 02:07 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Unistic Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:
Unistic Wrote:Cost isn't an issue because the GI bill is paying for it. What do you mean about ease? From what I'm reading the course work is manageable which I"m looking for in a plan and its a 1 year master in finance which I also want.

Also when researching colleges that are considered easy "manageable", 1 year Masters in Finance. I came across Cambridge College Global, still looking up how its coursework run though.

Thank you!

Depending on your commitments in life, if you have a lot on your hands, a Competency Based degree may or may not be for you.  

Most CBE programs are self paced and you pay by the term, I also suggest taking a look at the WGU MSML option instead of having UMPI BLS in Management on your list, as a Masters trumps a Bachelors any day of the week, furthermore, the cost would be about 4K/6 months, or roughly 8/year if you need more time...  

BTW, when I mentioned ease to finish, I meant the number of assignments, readings, study, workload, etc compared to other programs... if you can find one that is to your liking, it'll save you energy/time in the long run.

Thank you, and I'm still iffy on CBE. I hear that most people that fly threw them are the ones with actual career experience. Everyone else have the standard completion times of 4 years for a bachelors and 2 years for a master. Again that's what I've heard.

UMPI is a great school, although small, it provides a recognized public/state set of degrees, their CBE programs are inexpensive and I love them for what they currently offer, the cost, ease, and speed to finish are very comparable to most other CBE's.  They are a very good first or second degree choice, in this juncture in time though, you should keep your eyes open for other options and place this in the middle or lower end of your list like you have before...

Interesting turn of events, the more you ask questions, people will provide different answers as everyone thinks differently and answers varies!  So, it's best to recap and review what you're looking for to see what you should be getting.  We like to provide you the cheap/easy/fast option to getting to that goal, and I like to add that extra ROI/Value...

What you bring to the table: Associates CJ (RA), Bachelors IT (NA)  -  What you're looking for: Bachelors or Masters in Finance, basically, it seems we went from a Bach/Masters in Finance to now a redundant BLS Management OR MIS option.  So, is there a particular reason to take a General Studies degree with an almost similar Area of Study as your Bachelors if you go the MIS route?
To put it plainly I'm unhire-able can't even be trusted to give you you're McDonald's order with a side of fries. So the true goal is to burn off the last year of my GI Bill, which pays for my classes as well as pay me monthly housing allowance which is 900 a month for going to school purely online. A benefit I earned and regardless if I will be able to get a job or not I can still use it. So i plan to and put that money to the side for my son's college fund so he won't be stuck with student loans like many of my friends. And if I can get another degree in the process and set a bar (even if its a second bachelor) for my son to surpass I'm okay with that as well.

My suggestions are multi-fold, you get to decide which one of these options cater to your liking, it depends on your commitments/energy/time, etc...
1) You can continue on with your previous school and get a BAS Finance by transferring in 75% of your credits and completing that in 1 year. 
Did a degree plan to continue at my same college but I wouldn't have finished the degree within a year and none of the ones offered interested me. Not even the Bussiness or MBA with an emphasis in Finance. Due to my TBI, I have failed a few classes which if I fail using the GI bill I have to pay out of pocket and I would like to not repeat that if possible.

2) Or you can go for a MBA Finance also at the same school you grabbed that Bachelors in IT.  Speak with them about Waldorf University...
GI Bill won't pay for the same degree. If I have a bachelors in IT I can't get another one in the same feild. But I could get one in Computer Science because its technically a different field like Finance or Marketing. With the GI Bill I could get a dozen degrees paid for as long as I still have time left on it just not in the same field or the same degree from a different college.

3) A joint program from your school and their sister school Waldorf University, get 50% transfer into an RA masters from your NA masters work
I never mentioned previous master work lol but yes from a different university I have 15 credits. Waldorf doesn't have a degree I'm interested in either though and self pace more manageable is where I want to go.

4) Find another CBE bach/masters program that may suit your needs more or a non CBE that provides you "several finance" courses
Might not seem like it but I've been researching colleges for the past month myself and my previous posted list was schools that was considered some what manageable at the time I had place them on sad list.

5) If you decide on the UMPI BLS MIS or Management, couple that with the ENEB MBA & Masters option that is because it's self paced
First goal is to burn off the GI Bill and save. Regardless of the degree, again it wouldn't hurt if it was interesting to me and I got a degree out of it. I hear UoPeople has a fair cheap short term MBA. I wouldn't use my GI Bill there but I could see it as an option in the far future just for price alone. I highly doubt it though after this I think I'm done.

6) If you're doing it for learning, stop the thought of getting another Bachelors, take some more "Finance courses" with alternative providers
Learning is secondary to my goal. And with the GI Bill I can hop colleges for infinite amount of time but If I do it has to be for a degree plan. Can't pick this college for that course or this course without having a set degree plan. Although certifications are allow. I never found any decent post bacc certifications that are self pace, manageable and doesn't require 80 hours of study per week.

A couple of reasons you may want to recap/review your choices before deciding: UMPI doesn't accept NA credits, you only have an associates for transfer.  I believe they will take your NA credits, it won't hurt to try them either, so you can at least try them out, but as per ss20ts, they don't:  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid342620
I'll check with them but even with just the associate I can still push forward with the BLS - Information Systems, I do love technology and I could take some general ed of study.com or related to fill in those gaps. Plus going at my own pace shouldn't be too difficult.

I love the option to taking extra courses and degrees, for example, younger individuals looking at TESU, I tell them to get an associates/bachelors and if they can get a second associates/bachelors if it doesn't take up extra energy/money/time, such as a BALS for check the box, BSBA for their end goal.  However, this is one of a few times I agree with a few posts from dfrecore, it maybe a waste of time/money as per these posts here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid348515

My question is the same as dfrecore's in here: "Why WOULDN'T it be a waste of time to take things you can't use?"  So, ask yourself, can you use the redundant UMPI BLS MIS for anything, why are we even recommending this? or would you rather go for a more useful second bachelors or even a masters, since you're getting credit for college courses, having a Masters would look much better for you.  Link 1: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid336122  Link 2: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid324205
I stated it plenty of times throughout this post though but I am retired military, I was injured and medically retired from the military I was only 26, so messed up they automatically put me on social security disability lol. I can laugh now I think. Before my injury I would like to think I was smart I was actually 6 classes away from finishing my bachelors at the time. After my injury it took me almost two years to finish 6 classes and i failed 3 of the 6 once. But with time, tons of medication changes, therapy, etc I almost feel like I use too. So honestly if I wasn't trying to save the money for my son or trying to set a bar or whatever I wouldn't even bother trying but at this point I can't give up right. And don't feel sorry for me I don't .
Yet you've given me something to think about maybe I could find a self pace easy finance certification.

I answered in RED it was easier. Thank you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Unistic's post:
  • schlocker
Unistic Wrote:I answered in RED it was easier. Thank you!

I admire you and your persisting nature to help your son with his future educational goals, it's something similar to what I am doing for my kids.  Basically, I'm putting down a small amount of 100/month each child for their education, it's not much but hope it would grow into $10 grand by the time they get to college, with the help of the Big 3 and CBE options, they'll have more options to keep their education cost down and come out with a bachelors debt free...

Now, for you, I don't know why I still have a feeling that you can "transfer" those graduate courses elsewhere and do a Masters with a CBE program vs a Bachelors, don't get me wrong, it's your choice, but that's what I am relaying as advice.  You do your thing the way you're doing it now, it's all good in the end as long as you're learning something interesting.  I find it not as a great ROI/Value proposition vs a Masters, that's all, in the end, your end game/goal matters...

Some masters programs that will take the "15 graduate" credits are Amberton, Excelsior, Purdue Global, Walden, etc.... WGU doesn't though, sadly.  Are these RA graduate credits? If so, the ones I mentioned will work, if not, you can remove Amberton from the list as I think they only accept RA...  Maybe a graduate certificate or diploma from Harvard Extension School would do, anything that will grant you credit, diploma, may work for you.  Keep trucking along, good luck!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • schlocker
(11-21-2021, 04:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Unistic Wrote:I answered in RED it was easier. Thank you!

I admire you and your persisting nature to help your son with his future educational goals, it's something similar to what I am doing for my kids.  Basically, I'm putting down a small amount of 100/month each child for their education, it's not much but hope it would grow into $10 grand by the time they get to college, with the help of the Big 3 and CBE options, they'll have more options to keep their education cost down and come out with a bachelors debt free...

Now, for you, I don't know why I still have a feeling that you can "transfer" those graduate courses elsewhere and do a Masters with a CBE program vs a Bachelors, don't get me wrong, it's your choice, but that's what I am relaying as advice.  You do your thing the way you're doing it now, it's all good in the end as long as you're learning something interesting.  I find it not as a great ROI/Value proposition vs a Masters, that's all, in the end, your end game/goal matters...

Some masters programs that will take the "15 graduate" credits are Amberton, Excelsior, Purdue Global, Walden, etc.... WGU doesn't though, sadly.  Are these RA graduate credits? If so, the ones I mentioned will work, if not, you can remove Amberton from the list as I think they only accept RA...  Maybe a graduate certificate or diploma from Harvard Extension School would do, anything that will grant you credit, diploma, may work for you.  Keep trucking along, good luck!

Thank you! And yes a Master would be nice but the easiest to obtain with less struggle route would be best for me. At one point I did look into Walden University for there Software Engineering master degree but they removed that from their program listing. But I never looked up their course work. Would prefer not to deal with discussion boards and group projects. Honestly that one of the reason I went to Columbia Southern Universiy. Using my GI Bill I could get the self pace option, no discussion board, or group project and you can pay for extensions if you want (and boy did I pay). They just don't have any current degree options that I like to be honest.

Even UMPI BLS - IT management degree seems fun. Still everyone knows there's some accredited yet dirt easy colleges out there lol. And yes those 15 credits are from a regionally accredit master program in Data Science.
(11-21-2021, 05:22 PM)Unistic Wrote: Even UMPI BLS - IT management degree seems fun. Still everyone knows there's some accredited yet dirt easy colleges out there lol. And yes those 15 credits are from a regionally accredit master program in Data Science.

I completed the BLS with the MIS minor. Just to clarify there is not a program called BLS - IT Management at UMPI. I did not find the MIS courses difficult. I don't have an IT background. BUS245 Programming for Managers was the hardest class in the program for me. The course content did not cover the language used for the Final Assessment and the Final Assessment has been completely changed since I took the class.
Haven't gotten around to replying was in the hospital for a bit. But again thanks everyone for your suggestions. I did want to go to finance to learn new stuff but decided to buy some stock trading books and practice on a simulated trading program.

And as stated before the whole thing about finding an online easy school. Was to burn off my gi bill (1 year remaining) and pocket the 1k a month housing payment for my son's college fund. I do have a bachelors degree in IT, although from an NA accredited school. Still, I've found a few colleges that take NA degrees. Not to mention the 15 credits I have from a Master degree program became too difficult for me.

So, to avoid switching to a new degree field. If I find a master degree in IT, perhaps with a coding or database concentration I would be happy. So that's what I'm looking for. I'm told that Liberty University finals are either papers or all open book. Even after my head injury I can still pass an open book test. And they accept transfer credits. So I could knock out this master degree in roughly a year no out of pocket.

Unless I find something even easier to complete in my condition this my be the best way. Of course I'm opening to suggestions. Thank you all very much!!
Unistic Wrote:Haven't gotten around to replying was in the hospital for a bit. But again thanks everyone for your suggestions. I did want to go to finance to learn new stuff but decided to buy some stock trading books and practice on a simulated trading program.

And as stated before the whole thing about finding an online easy school. Was to burn off my gi bill (1 year remaining) and pocket the 1k a month housing payment for my son's college fund. I do have a bachelors degree in IT, although from an NA accredited school. Still, I've found a few colleges that take NA degrees. Not to mention the 15 credits I have from a Master degree program became too difficult for me.

So, to avoid switching to a new degree field. If I find a master degree in IT, perhaps with a coding or database concentration I would be happy. So that's what I'm looking for. I'm told that Liberty University finals are either papers or all open book. Even after my head injury I can still pass an open book test. And they accept transfer credits. So I could knock out this master degree in roughly a year no out of pocket.

Unless I find something even easier to complete in my condition this my be the best way. Of course I'm opening to suggestions. Thank you all very much!!

Another option is SNHU, they've got a very similar setup for their programs. If you're going for a Masters, they have offerings as well. I would check them out too!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Unistic

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,219 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Masters With What School? learningthehardway 43 3,872 08-27-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: learningthehardway
  Kibo School Bsc Comp Sci? FrHaseKopf 2 710 07-25-2022, 10:35 AM
Last Post: FrHaseKopf
  Any cheap and easy Associates Degrees? learningthehardway 2 1,364 05-29-2022, 12:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Ridiculously Easy Associates Degree - Purdue University Global xicovu 72 16,818 01-25-2022, 04:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Best School To Transfer Over 200 credits spencydub 17 2,604 12-22-2021, 01:40 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Big Three -> B/M School MrWileyCoyote 5 1,315 04-14-2020, 12:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How different are capstones from school to school? suzycupcake 16 3,297 07-15-2019, 12:57 PM
Last Post: SuZQ2
  Big 3 to Lawyer/Law School in CA - Feedback Requested slaterjack 10 3,264 03-29-2019, 09:01 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Which school, if any, would be best for applying to a top 20 grad school? cstobler 9 1,702 01-16-2019, 10:42 AM
Last Post: tesu-acct-student