Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General newb questions
Hi Everyone

I recently stumbled upon this website and it has been an amazing resource and inspiration thus far. With that being said I do have some really general (maybe dumb) questions.

The backstory is - I went to college right out of HS and did not do well. I dropped out and started a successful sales career. Now I am really looking to move forward with my career and I feel like my lack of a degree is really hindering me.

I think that I will most likely enroll in TESC - it seems to be a very reputable college and they have my degree - Communications.

My general questions are:

Should I just submit my past transcripts to TESC and they will tell me what classes to take?
Should I take CLEP prior to enrolling? Or while I am enrolled?
My transcripts are more than 10 years old - will TESC accept them?
I have some F's (I know it is so sad) will these be counted against me?

For some reason this whole process has really overwhelmed me!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I would take the CLEP tests before enrolling, that way you aren't trying to do both at once, though it is certainly possible to do both at once (that is what I did). Honestly, I have no idea if they will take older transcripts, mine were recent. You should be able to email TE or call and they will tell you, they are very, very helpful. As far as the F's, they don't count against you grade wise, but they will still show up on your transcript.
I went to college right out of high school as well, I just didn't like the time it was taking and I had some terrible advisers. I ended up with so many extra credits that weren't counting towards my degree. I knew about CLEP tests and TE from my niece, so I decided to try that route. It has been good. I still would prefer a traditional classroom, but I was able to finish my bachelor's in a little over two years, totally worth it. Smile
Good luck!
You should submit your transcripts, but they will not tell you what classes to take, they will just tell you what credits you are missing. Just post the results on here and we can help you pick appropriate classes to fill the gaps. The general consensus is to only enroll when you are within a year of completing your degree to avoid paying the enrollment fee more than once. Depending on how many CLEPs, etc. you will have to take this will dictate if you should take them before or after enrolling. The age of your transcripts will not be an issue, but you will not be given credit for F classes.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
I just applied today and sent my transcripts!!! I am so excited to beging this new chapter in my life!
From my personal experience, TESC has accepted credit for courses I took over thirty years ago.

Submit any and all transcripts, and see what TESC accepts. TESC might give you credits from certificates you've earned, etc.

Be aware that things change. If TESC gets your transcripts, and says today that it will credit you with X number of credits towards X courses, that is based on THIS year's catalog. Come July 1, things could change. It isn't until you actually enroll that you lock in your degree requirements. Applying, being accepted, and having your transcripts evaluated does not obligate TESC to give you those credits. The obligation on TESC's part begings once you enroll.

Welcome, and good luck.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
If you have 10 year old transcripts with F's (as well as Bs & Cs), would it be better to just not even submit them if your plan is to apply to grad schools? The most credits I could possibly gain is 24 general ed but at the expense of any future transcript review.

I will be working towards a B.A. in Computer Science and one of the Fs is in Calculus (failed to withdraw) and I know CS grad schools look at core subject grades.
TESC doesn't transfer grades. Almost every school I know of requires that you send all transcripts from all schools attended. This applies to graduate schools too. You might get away with not submitting all of the transcripts, but that would be dishonesty. If they were to find out somehow that you attended more schools than listed, they could audit and revoke your degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 5,102 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,716 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 2,005 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,731 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,827 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,628 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU First Year Foundations & More Questions Lewis.Yim 8 2,936 06-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  questions for my friend's son maplefu 4 1,313 05-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  Questions about ICCP exams - Calling all IT/MIS Students gus 31 8,940 05-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How to get TESU to answer my questions and look at my transcripts? (Discouraged) camjenks 5 1,625 04-24-2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Muldoon