Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting an additional Associates Degree advice please
(11-15-2020, 03:27 PM)collegechick Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 03:00 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: So, You've taken stats? Do you have another math besides MAT-102?  If you need a choice of math courses, I would do the CSM Learn as it's non-proctored and pretty straight forward, cheap/easy/fast at $39 and will hit your Quantitative Literacy requirement...  You should email and ask TESU just to be on the safe side of things though...

If you have access to your TESU OSS, you can create as many "What if I change my program" academic evaluations as you want... I would suggest doing a few randomly, if you don't want to randomly check for any associates, then check the ones at the end of this thread, I've listed all the ones that don't require a capstone: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...e-capstone?

Hi BJ!  Yes, I've completed MAT 102 Gen Math and MAT 135 Intro to Statistics.  I will double check with TESU.  What is CSM learn?  If this Associates does require more math, I'm no longer interested in it.  Just not worth it.  

Thank you for that link.  I'm not close to having enough credits to complete any of those other degrees.  That's why I liked the AAS in Computer Studies, it's done besides the capstone.  I don't think an AA requires a capstone?  But then what the heck will another arts degree do for my resume?  I felt like the AAS added a tiny bit of weight.  I saw you referring another student to COSC for an Associates, saying it's cheaper there?  What's your advice with all this?
CSMLEARN is another provider that has one course. It basically teaches you math. It is relatively easy (person dependent). It's only if memory serves only 39 dollars.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • collegechick
collegechick, you really want to read this thread and take a shot at CSM Learn: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...INCREDIBLE

1) Basically, I would still recommend doing the CSM Learn course and be done with an extra AA and ASNSM Computer Science, if you need an extra CS course or two, those are easily available with alternative providers for amazingly affordable prices, use the cash you save for a Masters or something down the line...

2) If you are going for the APS-295 Associates Capstone, that's over a grand and 3 months (12 weeks long), you can get the AAS Applied Computer Science and the AAS ESST (you may/should have all the required courses), but this CSM Learn course is $39 and can be completed in less than a week, let alone 3 weeks if you go very slowly and take your time...

3) If you do decide on getting an Associates at COSC, that would be a waste of your energy/money/time, it requires RA credits for transfer and you need to take their cornerstone course, which adds time to your plans, their cornerstone isn't that cheap either, it's also over 1 grand... and if you have RA credits, the Pierpont BOG AAS would hit the spot much better
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • collegechick
I get that you don't want to do another math course but I'd definitely suggest CSM Learn if TESU will take it. It's literally the only reason why some people here have been able to get their degree. $39 and a couple of hours sounds like a fair price to pay to be able to get a computer degree; even if you hate math.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • collegechick
(11-15-2020, 03:51 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: collegechick, you really want to read this thread and take a shot at CSM Learn: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...INCREDIBLE

1) Basically, I would still recommend doing the CSM Learn course and be done with an extra AA and ASNSM Computer Science, if you need an extra CS course or two, those are easily available with alternative providers for amazingly affordable prices, use the cash you save for a Masters or something down the line...

2) If you are going for the APS-295 Associates Capstone, that's over a grand and 3 months (12 weeks long), you can get the AAS Applied Computer Science and the AAS ESST (you may/should have all the required courses), but this CSM Learn course is $39 and can be completed in less than a week, let alone 3 weeks if you go very slowly and take your time...

3) If you do decide on getting an Associates at COSC, that would be a waste of your energy/money/time, it requires RA credits for transfer and you need to take their cornerstone course, which adds time to your plans, their cornerstone isn't that cheap either, it's also over 1 grand... and if you have RA credits, the Pierpont BOG AAS would hit the spot much better

1.)  Thank you for the resource.  So, you think add the AA for a what the heck degree?  There's no extra charge, right?

2.)  This is logical and I would like to wrap things up sooner.  What is an AAS ESST?  I have several e-mails into TESU seeking clarification on the Math requirement for the ASNSM CS.  Plus, I have at least 5 more classes that never made onto my ACE transcript from TEEX.  Have no idea how this happened.  Hoping to speak to ACE tomorrow to add these Cyber classes.

3.)  I will forgo all of this.  Thank you so much for the advice!!!
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
So, TESU is waiving the additional ethics requirement and I don't need anymore Math.  However, since my first Associates is so old he says I need 12sh new credits in my major section (CS) for this secondary ASNSM CS degree.  Any class suggestions?
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
Cyber 301 would be a free way to get 3 credits - if you can get TESU to accept them. Barring that:

SDC:
Computer Science 102: Fundamentals of Information Technology
Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications OR Business 109: Intro to Computing OR Davar's Introduction to Computers
Computer Science 105: Introduction to Operating Systems
Computer Science 109: Introduction to Programming
Computer Science 113: Programming in Python

Coopersmith has a number of computing classes as well, including courses in Word, Access, Excel, and PowerPoint that might work. The MS courses are only 2 credits each, though. So if you wanted to do those (and TESU accepted them), I would suggest that you do 3 of the MS courses (6 credits) + SDC's Business 109 and Computer Science 102.

Coopersmith only (3 MS courses + 2 3-credit courses): $600 for 5 classes.
Coopersmith + SDC: $500 for 5 classes.
SDC only: $340 (if you can do them all in 1 month) for 4 classes. $400 if it takes you 2 months.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • collegechick
(11-16-2020, 12:27 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Cyber 301 would be a free way to get 3 credits - if you can get TESU to accept them. Barring that:

SDC:
Computer Science 102: Fundamentals of Information Technology
Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications OR Business 109: Intro to Computing OR Davar's Introduction to Computers
Computer Science 105: Introduction to Operating Systems
Computer Science 109: Introduction to Programming
Computer Science 113: Programming in Python

Coopersmith has a number of computing classes as well, including courses in Word, Access, Excel, and PowerPoint that might work. The MS courses are only 2 credits each, though. So if you wanted to do those (and TESU accepted them), I would suggest that you do 3 of the MS courses (6 credits)  + SDC's Business 109 and Computer Science 102.

Coopersmith only (3 MS courses + 2 3-credit courses): $600 for 5 classes.
Coopersmith + SDC: $500 for 5 classes.
SDC only: $340 (if you can do them all in 1 month) for 4 classes. $400 if it takes you 2 months.

Thank you for the info.  This is quite a bit more work than anticipated.  Not sure what to do.
So after much back and forth with TESU, I only need 9sh to complete the ASNSM CS.  TESU says these are the only courses that can be applied.  Which ones do you think are quickest, easiest?  I need to have these done before April 1, 2021.  I know the courses at Coopersmith can be done quickly, but those were for Psych classes, have no idea what to expect for CS?!!

Coopersmith:

Computer Info Systems TCH110 >> TESU CIS-102

Intro Computing & Program Design TCH120 >> TESU CIS-107

Study.com

Computer Concepts & Applications COS103 >> TESU COS-101 (expires 1/31/2021)

Introduction to Operating SystemsCOS105 >> TESU COS-240 (expires 8/31/2021)

Introduction to ProgrammingCOS109 >> TESU COS-111 (expires 2/28/2022)

Programming in Python COS113 >> TESU COS-205 (expires 2/28/2022) *I've dabbled in Python.  Not sure about this one.
Did you not take the Sophia.org Intro to IT course? It should come in as CIS-107, so, I'm not even sure why they're suggesting taking the CooperSmith course.  Ask them about the Davar Academy courses: CIS-101 Introduction to Computers and CIS-315 Management Information Systems as those should come in as a COS-101 and MIS-301, you can then take the Study.com BUS 104 Info Systems & Comp Apps, it should come in as a CIS-103 Intro to CIS and lastly finish it off with Study.com COS 105 - Operating Systems.  Costs for Davar: $99 + $15/exam, Costs for Study.com: $199/month finish each provider in a month and in two months, you're done!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-19-2020, 01:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Did you not take the Sophia.org Intro to IT course? It should come in as CIS-107, so, I'm not even sure why they're suggesting taking the CooperSmith course.  Ask them about the Davar Academy courses: CIS-101 Introduction to Computers and CIS-315 Management Information Systems as those should come in as a COS-101 and MIS-301, you can then take the Study.com BUS 104 Info Systems & Comp Apps, it should come in as a CIS-103 Intro to CIS and lastly finish it off with Study.com COS 105 - Operating Systems.  Costs for Davar: $99 + $15/exam, Costs for Study.com: $199/month finish each provider in a month and in two months, you're done!

Thank you for these suggestions.  Now, I'm totally overwhelmed and confused.  No, I did not take Sophia.org Intro to IT.  For sure Sophia's Intro to IT can be applied?  Working with this advisor is taking forever and I've already wasted time taking Sophia's Environmental Sci and Human Bio, as this Academic Advisor told me I did not need them or an additional math.  I sent him RachaelAZ's list above and he responded with the limited courses I posted.  I already started Study.com 102 and now he didn't even mention this course as a possibility.  I've started Study.com 103 and now wonder if it will overlap with Sophia's Intro to IT??!!  I just want quick and easy because I'm starting to freak out about starting SOS 110 and the capstone consecutively next week!!

So, I only need three courses. Could I take:

Sophia's Intro to IT
Study.com Computer Concepts & Applications COS103 
Study.com 105 Operating Systems

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some advice tpell1219 14 481 Yesterday, 08:00 PM
Last Post: RJ77
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 280 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 238 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 236 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Adding on associates? optimisticCoder3 6 391 02-23-2024, 09:58 PM
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,756 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 497 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,263 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM