Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good indication of when your ready to take the clep exam
If you acheive a 50% or better on mock exams does that mean you are ready to take the clep exam? For example here are my scores on these mock exams:
1. Instantcert: 70-90%
2. College board sample questions- 74%
3. Petersen's- 45%, 52%
Thanks
Shark
From my personal experience, yes, you should be ready. I think it says in the opening of the Official Guide that if you get half, you should be able to get a passing score. That has held true for me. I've never bothered to make sure that I know every one of the questions or get a certain percentage right in anything other than that. I usually don't even answer the questions when going through Instacert. I mentally answer rather than take the time to type in an answer. The score I get here is irrelevant. I just want to be familiar with the material such that I can pass the test.
sirjake Wrote:From my personal experience, yes, you should be ready. I think it says in the opening of the Official Guide that if you get half, you should be able to get a passing score. That has held true for me. I've never bothered to make sure that I know every one of the questions or get a certain percentage right in anything other than that. I usually don't even answer the questions when going through Instacert. I mentally answer rather than take the time to type in an answer. The score I get here is irrelevant. I just want to be familiar with the material such that I can pass the test.
Do they mean half of their sample questions or the actual exam?
Shark101 Wrote:Do they mean half of their sample questions or the actual exam?

Hrm. I just looked on the College Board's site and apparently, they've changed it a bit. Here's what it says:

Quote:1. Read the exam description

How much do you know about each topic? Are you familiar with the terms, names, and symbols that are mentioned? If you're familiar with nearly all the material, you need a minimum amount of review. However, if more than half is unfamiliar to you, you probably need to study extensively to do well on the exam.
2. Study the textbook

Are you familiar with most of the topics and terminology used in college textbooks on this subject? Be sure to carefully review the textbook and other resource materials used in comparable college courses.
3. Read more on the subject, if you need extensive review.

If you need extensive review, don't answer the sample questions in the subject exam guide until you've done some reading in the subject. Note: If you're more comfortable reviewing and studying with the support of an instructor, take the equivalent course.
4. Answer sample questions.

If you think you're familiar with most of the test material, try to answer the sample questions. Although they don't appear on the actual exam, the proportion of the sample questions you can answer correctly should be a rough estimate of the proportion of questions you will be able to answer correctly on the exam.
5. Check your answers against the answer key in the Exam Guide.
  • Did you answer nearly all the questions correctly? Congratulations, you're ready. Move onto step 6.
  • Did you answer about half the questions correctly? Prepare more by reviewing at least one textbook or other reference material on the subject.
  • Did you answer fewer than half the questions correctly? Hit the books! You need more extensive reading in the subject and thorough study of one or more textbooks.
Source: http://collegeboard.com/student/testing/...rep_r.html

I've taken 21 CLEP's using the "If I get half correct in the study guide, I'm ready" formula without failing any, and I've had a couple where I got *exactly* half correct, but for all I know I'm a test-taking genius. For instance, recently, I got exactly half of the questions correct on the exam guide's biology section. And, as one would expect, I didn't ACE the exam, but I got a 58. But, of course, your experience could be different.
sirjake Wrote:Hrm. I just looked on the College Board's site and apparently, they've changed it a bit. Here's what it says:

I've taken 21 CLEP's using the "If I get half correct in the study guide, I'm ready" formula without failing any, and I've had a couple where I got *exactly* half correct, but for all I know I'm a test-taking genius. For instance, recently, I got exactly half of the questions correct on the exam guide's biology section. And, as one would expect, I didn't ACE the exam, but I got a 58. But, of course, your experience could be different.
Thanks sirjake for the wonderful info
Shark101 Wrote:If you acheive a 50% or better on mock exams does that mean you are ready to take the clep exam? For example here are my scores on these mock exams:
1. Instantcert: 70-90%
2. College board sample questions- 74%
3. Petersen's- 45%, 52%
Thanks
Shark

Hi Shark,

A 74% on the College Board samples is great! Don't fret about the Peterson's scores. They are (in my opinion) always harder than the real exam. So when I take a Peterson mock, I expect to get a lower score than I will on the actual exam. However, even on the Peterson's, you are now able to exceed the 50% mark. This is a good sign.

You still have a couple of weeks left before the exam, so I would expect your scores to rise even higher. You will definitely pass this exam.

Good luck,
Snazzlefrag
snazzlefrag Wrote:Hi Shark,

A 74% on the College Board samples is great! Don't fret about the Peterson's scores. They are (in my opinion) always harder than the real exam. So when I take a Peterson mock, I expect to get a lower score than I will on the actual exam. However, even on the Peterson's, you are now able to exceed the 50% mark. This is a good sign.

You still have a couple of weeks left before the exam, so I would expect your scores to rise even higher. You will definitely pass this exam.

Good luck,
Snazzlefrag
Thanks for the encouragement!
[SIZE="2"]It looks to me that you are beyond ready. Both Petersens and REA are tougher and if you hitting 50% or better on those then take a deep breath, say a prayer and sit the exam. You WILL pass - GOOD LUCK!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku Wrote:[SIZE="2"]It looks to me that you are beyond ready. Both Petersens and REA are tougher and if you hitting 50% or better on those then take a deep breath, say a prayer and sit the exam. You WILL pass - GOOD LUCK!![/SIZE]
Thanks God will see me through

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,260 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 508 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 955 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 674 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,848 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Intel’s 12th Gen CPU can’t handle the Bar exam bluebooger 3 913 07-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Free access to job ready Coursera certs cardiacclep 22 3,999 06-28-2022, 06:53 AM
Last Post: sayazop
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,319 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Is it a good idea to step into cybersecurity domain after graduting from management? rishu 7 1,088 01-06-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77