Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduate Certificate Through TA
I've been having a rough time trying to find an answer as to whether or not it is possible to use Navy tuition assistance for a graduate certificate after obtaining a masters degree. The lady from the TA office apparently only knew about professional certificates (Navy COOL) and thus couldn't provide an answer other than "1 bachelor and 1 masters." If somebody out there can provide insight into this I would be very appreciative! I have heard that you may fund 1 bs, 1 ms, and 1 grad cert, but I have not found confirmation. Sad
MS in Administration - Public Administration (Central Michigan University) - 2012
BS in Health Care Management (Southern Illinois University Carbondale) - 2011
I am not military but could the courses needed for the grad cert be used to fill the electives portion of your masters degree? If so take them first to complete the cert and the tuition would be covered less any possible admin fee for the certificate.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I understand exactly what you are trying to do -- I'm Air Force and I'm wondering the exact same thing. I don't have the answer, mainly because I haven't reached that point yet so I haven't asked. But I would love to know if you get an answer on this.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I am just trying to think about this logically. If they will pay for one MA/MS and you already have it completed, why would they pay for additional classes? You can say you are completing those for whatever reason but they are still funding courses that could be used to complete another MA/MS. Would they fund a doctoral degree for you? It depends on the branch.
JBjunior Wrote:I am just trying to think about this logically. If they will pay for one MA/MS and you already have it completed, why would they pay for additional classes? You can say you are completing those for whatever reason but they are still funding courses that could be used to complete another MA/MS.

I honestly think this will be the ultimate answer. Especially in a time when budgets are tightening and TA will almost certainly be reduced in the near future. I also expect TA to eventually disappear, or at least go down to 50%, on the rationale that you already get Post-9/11, if you decide to transfer that's on you.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
dcan Wrote:I honestly think this will be the ultimate answer. Especially in a time when budgets are tightening and TA will almost certainly be reduced in the near future. I also expect TA to eventually disappear, or at least go down to 50%, on the rationale that you already get Post-9/11, if you decide to transfer that's on you.

No doubt. TA is just an added incentive and a good morale booster. Ultimately, in the current configuration it brings little to no value to the organization beyond that. For the enlisted member, they teach you everything that you need to know through various training and you do it. In a time of increased budgetary concerns less incentives are needed to keep someone around when people are beating down our doors to join and no one is leaving. I love TA and have used plenty of it, some years none at all and others 100% of it, but at the end of the day it was for me and my opportunities. In the officer realm, if they need someone to go to a specific position and a certain degree is required they pay for you to get it.

Now, if TA was modified to be Rating/MOS specific it could be beneficial to the organization. I think it may be that way in some branches but for us it is a free for all.
The answer I received through the Vitual Education Center was that once you complete your masters degree, that is it. Done Deal. I am in no way complaining... I bagged a B.S. and have four classes to go for my Masters and all under four years from start to finish! While I paid out of pocket for some of it, the Navy most certainly picked up the larger sum of the tab and a good chunk of the training transferred over. Let's not forget about the DSST exams! There are loopholes for everything my friends, and it all starts with a question! Wink

Admittedly, I almost envy those that have been grandfathered into the TA funding for the doctorate, but then again, maybe it is nature's way of telling me that I NEED TO TAKE THAT MUCH NEEDED BREAK! The learning never ends.
MS in Administration - Public Administration (Central Michigan University) - 2012
BS in Health Care Management (Southern Illinois University Carbondale) - 2011
I think that there is a way around it, if the Education Services Officer wants to work it for you. I'm assuming that you're in the Navy since you mentioned Navy COOL, so I'm not sure what the Navy regulation is that governs TA. But since the DOD took over the program this fiscal year, I would imagine that the policies would not be that much different from the Army. Here's an excerpt from AR 621-5:

TA is authorized for—
b. No more than one credential from each of the following levels:
(1) HSD.
(2) Associate.
(3) Baccalaureate.
(4) Master’s or first professional degree (for example, Juris Doctor (J.D.) law degree, Master of Architecture, Master
of Business Administration, Masters in Social Work, and so forth).
c. One certificate (includes academic certificate, program of preparation for certification, licensure, or capstone
certification in an area of specialization). The limitations of para 5–7d do not apply to the certificate (that is, a Soldier
may pursue a certificate program regardless of the level of education already achieved). However, all other prohibitions
outlined in this chapter apply (note particularly the prohibitions related to continuing education units (CEUs) and the
Army e-learning program in para 5–7y and 5–7aa).

It specifically states that you may pursue a certificate regardless of your previous education, as long as it's only one. Maybe if you find something similar within a Navy regulation, they will be able to help out. I've noticed that ESOs have a LOT of power, but just do not necessarily advertise it. Good luck.
NCU MBA-HCA (July 2013)
B.P.S. in Business & Management - Excelsior (End of 2012)
B.S. in Health Care Administration - Columbia Southern University (May 2012)
A.A.S. in Business - Columbia Southern University (February 2012)
AHA BLS Instructor
I know for the USCG we can pursue doctorates and we use the Navy TA system, albeit with our own pot of money and integrated system.
dcan Wrote:I understand exactly what you are trying to do -- I'm Air Force and I'm wondering the exact same thing. I don't have the answer, mainly because I haven't reached that point yet so I haven't asked. But I would love to know if you get an answer on this.

In the Air Force, we're entitled to one lifetime certification/certificate. Our Superintendant one time during a briefing had explained how he was able to us the certification TA for Villanova University's Master Certificate in Contract Management. He spoke to the staff at Villanova and convinced them to bill it as one lump certificate rather than individual classes. Doing that, he got AF TA to sign off and pay for it. I don't know if you can do the same in the Navy, but worth looking into.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One-time $4500 allowance for a certificate? Any recommendations? (TA-related) OfficerA 3 1,157 03-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Last Post: OfficerA
  Gi bill certificate of eligibility superpotsky 2 1,048 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Last Post: dposborne
  military graduate question ffdpsoldier 8 1,808 01-31-2013, 02:21 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Graduate Student Services fee waived! Professor_Adam 0 1,446 01-14-2009, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Professor_Adam