Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduate School Musings
I am a homeschooling parent who graduated all of my students.  I teach violin in my home and am a homemaker and my in laws have some health challenges,so it is good that I am available to help, but am thinking of what is next for me.  My 50th birthday is in 2019, so there is that, as well!

I have a Masters degree in Rehabilitation Counseling that I earned the year before my oldest son was born, but I never directly used it in the workforce. I have also taken all of the Poetry in America courses that were offered so far, and am currently enrolled in the two courses for the Spring semester beginning in January.  

So, my thoughts on what is next involve trying to become an Adjunct faculty member at my local CC or a small college nearby.  I will have 20 hours in Poetry in May, but have considered supplementing that with a course in Teaching Writing, because that is where the need is usually at a CC.  I have also considered pursuing the ALM in English at Harvard Extension School.  However, we have been living on one income for 20 years and although we are very frugal with our money, we have one son in college and one looking at Graduate schools.  So, cost is a HUGE barrier. 

Another thought is of a school here in Kentucky that has a PhD program in Leadership, University of the Cumberlands.  This may be a good fit for my interesting combination of Educational experiences.  Their online tuition is $375 per credit hour,and is roughly half of the University of Kentucky, and they may accept the HES courses.  

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?  I have discovered while homeschooling, that I love teaching!  I taught for years in a homeschool co-op setting and loved it.  I have also considered going back to become a certified teacher at the High School Level.  However, since I already have a Masters, it is easier to qualify to become an adjunct.  

Basically, I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my life.  I do know that only I can do that.  I have also discovered that I could happily be a professional student.   

There are also the Micromasters programs from EdX that may be a good fit for me cost wise.  The Leading Educational Innovation and Improvement is the one that interests me the most.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 2 users Like hsfamfun's post:
  • cookderosa, Mamasaphire
I like your idea of taking some writing instruction course(s).

The ALM seems too expensive for what you'd get out of it. That PhD is a great price, but it seems to me that you'd enjoy teaching more.

Would you enjoy teaching college freshmen as much as teaching younger students? If you want to teach K-12 students, you could do a WGU teacher licensure undergrad program pretty fast. It's 13 weeks of practical training in a classroom, but the rest is easy and quick, online. It's pretty cheap if your schedule allows you to go quickly on the rest. Then you could finish in one term. Also, you could apply for a scholarship to possibly get the degree cheaper.

I hadn't thought about teacher cert through WGU!
Thanks for the idea!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
Smile

Also if you didn't know, EdX gives financial aid for up to 5 courses a year.

You could also teach English classes online to kids in China. I think most companies would hire you without any additional schooling.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • hsfamfun
Teaching online ESL to Chinese students has been a great experience for me. It is an idea... or teaching teens / adults from other countries may be an option.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mamasaphire's post:
  • hsfamfun
If you're interested in becoming a teacher, WGU's programs seem very organized, and they help you find a student teaching position near where you live. I think they work in all 50 states.

The only issue with their teaching degrees is that not as much can be satisfied with a degree (meaning the requirement is waived if you already have a degree). But you can get most of the GE requirements met with alternative credit, and even some of the major, depending on which degree you wanted.

I would look at all of their options, and then also look at the transfer guidelines which tells you about what can and can't be transferred in or waived: https://partners.wgu.edu/transferguidelines
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • hsfamfun
I've been considering UALR for another program, but they have a writing certificate as well as an MA in professional and technical writing for $383/cr

https://ualr.edu/online/programs/writing/
[-] The following 1 user Likes verenaf's post:
  • hsfamfun
(12-28-2018, 10:51 AM)hsfamfun Wrote: I am a homeschooling parent who graduated all of my students.  I teach violin in my home and am a homemaker and my in laws have some health challenges,so it is good that I am available to help, but am thinking of what is next for me.  My 50th birthday is in 2019, so there is that, as well!

I have a Masters degree in Rehabilitation Counseling that I earned the year before my oldest son was born, but I never directly used it in the workforce. I have also taken all of the Poetry in America courses that were offered so far, and am currently enrolled in the two courses for the Spring semester beginning in January.  

So, my thoughts on what is next involve trying to become an Adjunct faculty member at my local CC or a small college nearby.  I will have 20 hours in Poetry in May, but have considered supplementing that with a course in Teaching Writing, because that is where the need is usually at a CC.  I have also considered pursuing the ALM in English at Harvard Extension School.  However, we have been living on one income for 20 years and although we are very frugal with our money, we have one son in college and one looking at Graduate schools.  So, cost is a HUGE barrier. 

Another thought is of a school here in Kentucky that has a PhD program in Leadership, University of the Cumberlands.  This may be a good fit for my interesting combination of Educational experiences.  Their online tuition is $375 per credit hour,and is roughly half of the University of Kentucky, and they may accept the HES courses.  

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?  I have discovered while homeschooling, that I love teaching!  I taught for years in a homeschool co-op setting and loved it.  I have also considered going back to become a certified teacher at the High School Level.  However, since I already have a Masters, it is easier to qualify to become an adjunct.  

Basically, I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my life.  I do know that only I can do that.  I have also discovered that I could happily be a professional student.   

There are also the Micromasters programs from EdX that may be a good fit for me cost wise.  The Leading Educational Innovation and Improvement is the one that interests me the most.

I'm so excited for you - go Mom. Wink

For those of us who love education, teaching is a great vocation. Even when I wasn't being paid to teach, I've always been a teacher - even as a kid. I do believe some people just gravitate toward those kinds of opportunities (and many end up homeschooling too) so it makes perfect sense to me that you'd work as a teacher.

I have experience teaching post-secondary (after high school graduation) for adults, not secondary (high school) however my brother is a secondary teacher, so I have often compared the differences between the two. I don't know ALL of them obviously, but I believe that getting your first FT job in secondary is probably easier than a FT job in post-secondary, but getting an adjunct is probably easier in English than either because colleges offer zillions of sections of English (especially developmental) so there is a lot of work to go around.
Is full time an eventual goal, or would you be happy teaching a few days per week? Secondary is almost always 5 days per week (180 days give or take) and really no flexibility, where postsecondary is uber flexible.
I worked as an adjunct through all my babies and breastfeeding, never had an issue. If I needed a semester off, or more classes in a semester, was always an option.
As an example of a FT post-secondary contract, my husband's contract at his university is only 108 days (he is paid year round). He has multiple opportunities all year to cover someone else or teach a summer class- all of that comes with extra pay.
Secondary teachers are generally paid on a scale, so coming in as an adult doesn't give you as much time to get traction in terms of income, while adjunct are all paid the same, so you're getting the same on day 1 as the adjunct who has been there a decade. Good or bad depending on how you look at it.
Finally, college teachers have a lot of academic freedom - again good or bad depending on how you look at it, but public school secondary teachers really have none. The district will direct most of what you teach, so there is the element of how important autonomy is to you.

A lot to think about, but I'm so excited for you whatever you end up doing!!
(12-30-2018, 11:57 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Is full time an eventual goal, or would you be happy teaching a few days per week?  Secondary is almost always 5 days per week (180 days give or take) and really no flexibility, where postsecondary is uber flexible.  

No flexibility in that you get 81 days off in addition to weekends?  So no weekends, no holidays, 2+ months off for summer, 1 week off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks off for Christmas, 1-2 weeks off for Spring Break - that lack of flexibility??  Big Grin
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-30-2018, 08:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 11:57 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Is full time an eventual goal, or would you be happy teaching a few days per week?  Secondary is almost always 5 days per week (180 days give or take) and really no flexibility, where postsecondary is uber flexible.  

No flexibility in that you get 81 days off in addition to weekends?  So no weekends, no holidays, 2+ months off for summer, 1 week off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks off for Christmas, 1-2 weeks off for Spring Break - that lack of flexibility??  Big Grin

LOL meaning you can't pick your work days or take your family holiday in the middle of September. ;p

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,076 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 878 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,841 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,170 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,340 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,466 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,277 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,614 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 648 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz