Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harvard Extension School
Hi Cookderosa: Thanks a lot for the info - it's awesome!!! I actually called them today with a few questions.
Question for you:

1. Since I'm still working on my undergrad, can I still register and take the 3 grad courses towards the Masters in Liberal Arts? I guess I can take any 3 right?? Do you know if grad courses in Social Sciences can also fulfil the remaining undergrad social science I have left to do? Or can it just be used for one or the other?

2. I'm on overseas assignment now - from your experience do you think it will be a problem accessing the lectures, videos, etc. The internet here is not as good as the U.S.

The lady on the phone said that I can take 5 courses online but I have to take the rest on campus - will do some more research on this for more info.

Any info would be great -- I'm still trying to slowly but surely finish my degree. You are really my inspiration:-)

Thanks much,
Passed so far:
CLEP:
A&I Lit - 6 credits
Freshman Comp-6 credits
Eng Comp w/Essay-6 credits
Sociology-3 credits
Principle of Mgmt-3 credits
French - 12 credits
Human Growth & Dev- 3 credits
Humanities-6 credits

DSST:
Principle of Supervision- 3 credits
Env & Humanity - 3 credits
Intro to Computing - 3 credits

FEMA/FCC: 16 credits
UMUC-22 credits
NVCC -17
ACE - 23 credits
Aleks - Beginning Algebra
Aleks-Intermediate Algebra
ACTFL Chinese -6 credits

All done - Graduating in Oct from TESC -BA in Humanities!!

Grad School: MS Human Resource Mgmt-2012
I'll do my best.

1. Since I'm still working on my undergrad, can I still register and take the 3 grad courses towards the Masters in Liberal Arts? I guess I can take any 3 right?? Do you know if grad courses in Social Sciences can also fulfil the remaining undergrad social science I have left to do? Or can it just be used for one or the other?

You can take 3 (12 cr) before finishing your BA, that is correct. As to double dipping, I don't think you can. I think if the class is part of your BA degree plan, then HES won't allow it for your masters. You should think about a concentration. All of the liberal arts concentrations allow 2 electives, so technically, at least one of those 3 should be in a concentration you want. Also, you have to take the proseminar before you enroll- but that has to be done on campus, so don't confuse this "3 rule" with the other "3 rule" of taking 3 classes before earning your BA.

2. I'm on overseas assignment now - from your experience do you think it will be a problem accessing the lectures, videos, etc. The internet here is not as good as the U.S.

I really have no idea about that. In my current class, there are several students from overseas though, so I know people do it.

The lady on the phone said that I can take 5 courses online but I have to
take the rest on campus - will do some more research on this for more info.

That's correct. Also, you don't have to be present for your thesis as I understand it (one of your 10) which in turn means you have to "take" 4 classes literally on campus.

Any info would be great -- I'm still trying to slowly but surely finish my degree. You are really my inspiration:-)

Thanks much

That's very kind of you. I wish you ALL the best!!
You can NOT 2x dip - I asked, and their response was that if a HES course appears on your undergrad transcript then the course(s) will not count towords your HES program.
You need a connection speed of roughly 128kbps to be able to use the distance option. That is any broadband/high speed line be DSL/ISDN/Cable/T-1.

The distance option consists of two "screens" one is the streaming video of the lecture and the second is a browser window with a visual of the powerpoint slide being projected currrently.
NJMedic Wrote:You need a connection speed of roughly 128kbps to be able to use the distance option. That is any broadband/high speed line be DSL/ISDN/Cable/T-1.

The distance option consists of two "screens" one is the streaming video of the lecture and the second is a browser window with a visual of the powerpoint slide being projected currrently.
>>

If anyone is interested, here is a sample:

note: select week 1 hour 1, the rest is password protected.
also, select the split screen option so you can view the power point at the same time as the lecture. Enjoy!

http://my.extension.harvard.edu/icb/icb....page188445
Sowak777 Wrote:For example? How much reading per week? How many and how long are the papers? Proctored exams?
>>

Depends on the class really. Some classes are a lot worse than mine, the Protest Literature course has 14 required books, one of the psych classes I decided not to take had a lot more writing....
My class has a weekly requirement of: about +/- 150 pages reading, 1ea 2-3 page paper on the assigned topic given at close of lecture, forum requirement answering 2 questions & discussing with the teaching assistant, study pool participant requirement of 2 hours, watch the professor's lecture (2 hours), print out the slides from lecture, and then the suggested movie is optional. Sounds like a lot, but it's ok once you get into a rhythm.

We have 1 mid term and 1 final- both proctored locally- must be at the same time as the rest of the class and faxed back in - this has been a pain since I'm in a night class and my proctor works days, but overall not terrible. If you live in a 5 state area (or is it 7?) they expect you to drive in, so if you are in New England, that would effect you.

One disadvantage distance students have, is 2 fewer days to turn in homework due each week. There is a 2 day delay in uploading lecture, so you don't receive your question of the week or forum questions until later. Locals get the assignment on Tuesday, we get it on Thursday but everyone is still due Tuesday and they close the drop boxes promptly- so no late work ever.

My mid-term paper was 20 pages (strict about APA format criteria) with about 25 references using primary research only. That was a hard assignment for me since I wasn't used to doing that type of assignment, but they will get easier as I become more accustomed to that type of writing. I'm waiting for my score as I type this:eek:

That's it! It's really a great class and I highly recommend it!!

My final is Jan 20th!
As I was telling one forum member I'm very intrigued with taking some Harvard Extension courses. The spring term starts in less than 4 weeks but I can't do those from where I am deployed. The ONLY real problem is that I don't have a reliable enough, dedicated high-speed internet connection. This normally isn't a problem for me but because Harvard's "distance" courses are done via streaming lecture video it's a HUGE challenge over here. In fact, you can't get streaming video at all on the DOD network.

Now the good part, you can also take summer courses at HUE. These courses are 8-weeks long and run about $2400 for grad school level credit. Only 10 courses are offered online though. The exact list of courses for this summer will be posted on the website by 1 Feb 09. The summer school web site is Harvard Summer School 2009

So, since I'll be back at home by then with my wonderful broadband connection I can definitely register and take one of those courses this summer. The session dates for 2009 are 22 June to 7 August. Totally doable. So, regardless of whether I enroll in Excelsior's MALS program, I think I'm going to dive off the pier and journey into the intellectually stimulating world of Harvard.
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)
[QUOTE=Professor_Adam]As I was telling one forum member I'm very intrigued with taking some Harvard Extension courses. The spring term starts in less than 4 weeks but I can't do those from where I am deployed. The ONLY real problem is that I don't have a reliable enough, dedicated high-speed internet connection. This normally isn't a problem for me but because Harvard's "distance" courses are done via streaming lecture video it's a HUGE challenge over here. In fact, you can't get streaming video at all on the DOD network. >>

The lectures are through Realplayer, you can download them- you don't have to stream.

Now the good part, you can also take summer courses at HUE.

Just for clarity, HES and HSS are not the same department. They will be on a new schedule starting 2009, the classes will all be 7 weeks.

These courses are 8-weeks long and run about $2400 for grad school level credit. Only 10 courses are offered online though. The exact list of courses for this summer will be posted on the website by 1 Feb 09. The summer school web site is Harvard Summer School 2009
world of Harvard.

Cool! What class/classes are you looking at?
cookderosa Wrote:[I][
Cool! What class/classes are you looking at?

Well, this one would be great:

ECON S-1452 Money, Financial Institutions, and Markets

or anything new that comes out involving international relations / government policy / economics / behavioral finance

Hey that's awesome about RealPlayer. I didn't realize you could download them. This still MAY not solve my problem, BUT How large are the files?
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)
NJMedic Wrote:You can NOT 2x dip - I asked, and their response was that if a HES course appears on your undergrad transcript then the course(s) will not count towords your HES program.

Wow! Thank you! I did not know that.

I contacted HES about using the Intro Chemistry 1 & 2 classes I am doing this summer for my B.A. at TESC, then also using it for my Health Science Pre-Med Diploma, and they never mentioned that.

I guess I will have to ask. I hope I can though. :-P

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 306 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,312 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,588 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,762 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 922 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 574 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fake Harvard Students Alpha 0 605 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,128 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,692 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 683 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77