Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harvard Extension School
I am doing HSS 09, and I am VERY excited!

Smile
ImRaddDuhhh Wrote:I am doing HSS 09, and I am VERY excited!

Smile
>>

Tell us more!!
If you have an MLS with a psych concentration what can you do with that?
Lioness088 Wrote:If you have an MLS with a psych concentration what can you do with that?

Well at a minimum I would say that the Harvard name recognition carries its own employment value outside the actual degree specifics. However, I'm also interested to know what you can specificially do with this degree. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this.
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)
Professor_Adam Wrote:Well at a minimum I would say that the Harvard name recognition carries its own employment value outside the actual degree specifics. However, I'm also interested to know what you can specificially do with this degree. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this.

maybe you can tell us more Miss Jennifer when you get the time please? and what will YOU do with the alm degree?
Lioness088 Wrote:maybe you can tell us more Miss Jennifer when you get the time please? and what will YOU do with the alm degree?
>

LOL...sorry to disappoint, but it's totally for personal enrichment. I've been a chef instructor/hospitality instructor for the same community college for 17 years (gulp) now, so I needed a little excitement in my life hilarious I have (literally) given the same lectures for 34 semesters straight LOL.

That said, since I left the insane job of "cheffing" to homeschool my kiddos, teaching part time is a perfect life for me. I am committed to homeschool first and foremost and enjoy the flexibility to just going over to the college 2 nights per week. However, when the time comes that I return to the college full time (I used to be the department head) I will be eligible for a higher pay scale. Adjunct (part time) teachers don't earn any more money with higher degrees, so no financial incentives at that level.

I have considered numerous other options now that I have a bachelor's degree (and hoping for a masters). Some of them are related to food, some are out in left field. As you know, you can't be a clinical psychologist without a PhD, and quite honestly, I wouldn't be good at that job Wink I'm a bit of a "cowboy-up" personality. So, if this is my stepping stone to PhD work, it will probably be at my local B&M university in Higher Education Administration. I enjoy helping students/advising/etc. and I feel very comfortable in the community college. I do a lot of freelance for my school- I write curriculum (have over 30 RA classes running now) and will be the one who starts putting our dept classes online soon. I'd like to be a division dean, but if I decide to go off in a new direction, I would pursue becoming a Certified Nurse Midwife. How's that for a shocker?

So, probably not the definitive answer you were looking for.
Oh, and my professor still hasn't graded my term paper from hell, if I fail, I'm going to rethink everything- my final exam is Tuesday and I'm shaking in my boots. I have already paid for next semester (Statistics) and have arrangements for doing my first residency in Cambridge THIS summer! On this schedule, I'll be done with classes and slated to start my thesis by this time next year- being totally done late 2010.

P.S. It's Mrs. Smile
Oh lol the Miss thing is Southern or perhaps regionally southern and a show of respect that is done whether someone is married or not. To children who have parents who want them to show that respect I am Miss Kristi even tho I'm married. It's more formal than calling someone by their first name but less formal than calling someone Mrs. "last name".... don't ask me why it's just what I've always known. Wink
Perhaps your teaching experience is why you're so good at helping on here. I'm glad you're wordy it really helps explain things down to the very end. You're going to Harvard (extension) but where does Cambridge come in to play? Do they work together for the masters you're seeking or do you get a separate transcript from cambridge? That would be an awesome thing to do but I'm not EVEN close to the NE.
lol hmmm maybe best not to tell a woman in labor to cowboy up hehe especially when you're at the kicking end. :p
<<Oh lol the Miss thing is Southern or perhaps regionally southern and a show of respect that is done whether someone is married or not. To children who have parents who want them to show that respect I am Miss Kristi even tho I'm married. It's more formal than calling someone by their first name but less formal than calling someone Mrs. "last name".... don't ask me why it's just what I've always known. Wink >>

I know, I was just teasin'

<<Perhaps your teaching experience is why you're so good at helping on here. I'm glad you're wordy it really helps explain things down to the very end. You're going to Harvard (extension) but where does Cambridge come in to play? Do they work together for the masters you're seeking or do you get a separate transcript from cambridge? That would be an awesome thing to do but I'm not EVEN close to the NE.>>

Harvard University is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Sorry, I made it sound like another college. We can talk about labor support another day Big Grin
Yeah if I'd had 4 kids I'd wanna save the labor talk for another day too, no wonder you're so dang tough! lol. :p Sorry ya'll, off topic.
cookderosa Wrote:>>

Tell us more!!

Bah, I was going to do the chemistry 1-2 during HSS 09, but instead I am just going to begin in the Health Careers Program for my pre-medical diploma in the fall.

It gives me a little bit longer to finish my B.A. at TESC. So I am pleased about that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 303 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,303 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,586 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,757 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 920 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 573 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fake Harvard Students Alpha 0 605 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,113 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,691 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 683 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77