Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you heard of Nexford University
No school you attended claimed this, because they were likely accredited. Schools with recognized accreditation don't talk about being licensed - agreed. 

But when your school is unaccredited - or has no meaningful recognized accreditation - you "talk up" the license, BECAUSE THAT'S ALL THE SCHOOL HAS. Some unaccredited schools talk about their BBB (Better Business Bureau) "accreditation" or their ISO 9001 or whatever certification. Both meaningless in terms of legit accreditation. You're right of course - schools with established street cred don't talk like that. They don't need to. Nexford has applied for DEAC - hope they make it. Then they won't need to talk about their license.

NA isn't American Accreditation? e.g. DEAC? That sounds ridiculous.What country is it from, then? Last I heard DEAC had HQ in Washington DC and yeah - it's known as a National Accreditor. Come to think of it - new rule - USDoE no longer refers separately to either National or Regional Accreditors. You can read all about that here. 

https://sacscoc.org/app/uploads/2020/03/....26.19.pdf
I'm pretty sure that I've seen a couple of smaller schools hype up both their accreditation and their state licensing. They may or may not have removed this wording in response to the changes with the accreditation system. A paragraph about being accredited by something (generally, the DEAC) and then more paragraphs about being meeting XYZ standards and being licensed in a particular state.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-08-2021, 07:00 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I'm pretty sure that I've seen a couple of smaller schools hype up both their accreditation and their state licensing. They may or may not have removed this wording in response to the changes with the accreditation system. A paragraph about being accredited by something (generally, the DEAC) and then more paragraphs about being meeting XYZ standards and being licensed in a particular state.
I've seen this myself. Sometimes it's still there on the page from a time when the school wasn't accredited yet and they've just left the state info up. Other times it's there as a failsafe to avoid confusion from people who don't fully understand how these things work: showing state recognition info gives the appearance of greater legitimacy to people who don't know much about how the system works.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • rachel83az
Some schools leave up their details to indicate they are state approved and licensed to operate, they may also indicate that they participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements and will have NC-SARA logo on their web pages. For people looking at any type of accreditation, I would research the school and the accreditation agencies they say they belong under. I've seen many that use fake accreditation agencies that they have created themselves...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-08-2021, 05:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:   I've seen many (schools) that use fake accreditation agencies that they have created themselves...

Indeed. So have most of us. And I have no doubt we will see still more in years to come.

RECOGNIZED accreditation - or equivalent in the school's country of origin. Otherwise, you're walking a wire with no safety net. 

If anyone intends such - well, good luck... let us know how it worked out - or didn't.
(06-07-2021, 10:34 PM)Johann Wrote: No school you attended claimed this, because they were likely accredited. Schools with recognized accreditation don't talk about being licensed - agreed. 

But when your school is unaccredited - or has no meaningful recognized accreditation - you "talk up" the license, BECAUSE THAT'S ALL THE SCHOOL HAS. Some unaccredited schools talk about their BBB (Better Business Bureau) "accreditation" or their ISO 9001 or whatever certification. Both meaningless in terms of legit accreditation. You're right of course - schools with established street cred don't talk like that. They don't need to. Nexford has applied for DEAC - hope they make it. Then they won't need to talk about their license.

NA isn't American Accreditation? e.g. DEAC? That sounds ridiculous.What country is it from, then? Last I heard DEAC had HQ in Washington DC and yeah - it's known as a National Accreditor. Come to think of it - new rule - USDoE no longer refers separately to either National or Regional Accreditors. You can read all about that here. 

https://sacscoc.org/app/uploads/2020/03/....26.19.pdf

There is no such thing as American License. NA is not American Accreditation. It's National Accreditation. Using the proper phrasing gives you legitimacy. Without it, you sound like you don't have a clue what you're talking about and are scamming people. There's sooooooo many diploma mill type online "schools" today that you really do need to be careful and really read all of the fine print. Don't put much wait on that USDOE ruling. It was made during the last administration and nothing has really changed.
Here is an article about Nexford.  While it reads like an advertisement is still has some interesting information in it.
https://techcrunch.com/2021/06/10/nexfor...-platform/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • rachel83az
(06-10-2021, 11:02 AM)Alpha Wrote: Here is an article about Nexford.  While it reads like an advertisement is still has some interesting information in it.
https://techcrunch.com/2021/06/10/nexfor...-platform/

Something interesting about this article is that it refers to Nexford as a company not a school. It also has a CEO not a college president. The tuition payment plan sounds very interesting! If the degree costs $5K and your monthly payments are $200 and you finish your degree in 6 months it sounds like you'd actually only pay $1200. It will be interesting to see how that works over time. They really need to get accreditations and exist for a few years. They only started in 2019 so they haven't been around long enough for accreditation. RA would be enormous! NA wouldn't be bad if that payment plan thing really works out. They definitely seem hyper focused on serving nations with a great deal of poverty. This seems to be where they're really focusing their programs and not in the US. If they have international students in Nigeria and other areas of subsaharan Africa then NA or RA probably doesn't matter and they'll overjoyed with a degree from an American university thus the label as an "American licensed university."
ss20ts: "If they have international students in Nigeria and other areas of subsaharan Africa then NA or RA probably doesn't matter and they'll overjoyed with a degree from an American university"

No, they won't be - particularly the NUC (Nigerian Universities Commission.) If it's unaccredited, or they deem its degree-granting procedures to be substandard or insufficient - they'll BAN it and use of the degrees would carry a severe penalty. (They once banned ALL distance degrees - any school - but that has since been relaxed.)

You could have problems in quite a few African countries. If you're planning to risk this kind of trouble, at least DON'T do it in Nigeria! Generally, if the degree isn't recognized here, it very well might not be, in much /most of Africa. Some iffy-sniffy outfits have peddled unaccredited "fine American" degrees abroad for years. Those who bought in regretted it, and there would be posts in forums, by overseas members asking "what should I do with my un-useful degree?" I remember one unsympathetic moderator suggesting the poster (from Pakistan) could smoke it. Totally out of order. Both the forum and the moderator have long-since disappeared from the scene. 

And yes, I agree with ss20ts on this:  I, too, get the impression that Nexford is run by people who may be much more familiar with running businesses other than education ventures. I hope they can adapt.
I think the educational system would be so much better if more schools were "run like businesses" than like schools. Yes, schools are mostly in it for the profits (even the non-profit ones) but they tend to treat it like students don't have any choice. If you don't want to pay tens of thousands in tuition & fees then that's just too bad. No degree for you. Now, people on this forum realize that isn't the case. But, with the vast majority, students don't realize that they actually have viable options.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • eLearner

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 225 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,617 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,562 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,940 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 601 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,243 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,616 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 352 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,491 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff