Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help AS and/or BS Degree Mapping Request
Hi I need help mapping out the quickest and most cost effective AS and/or BSBA Business Degree plan for my daughter. At 12 she completed these classes thru study.com this year. I know TESU has an age requirement now so that won't be an option for us b/c she'd have to wait too long. She's also completed ALEKs College Algebra... SDC Current (almost finished) classes are Business 103, Business 113, English 105, and Art 103. Below are SDC completed ACE credit classes. We still have 3 months left on her Study.com annual membership so we can take a few more classes other than the ones listed here as well if needed.  I wanted to enroll her in DE at our local CC but she's not old enough there either so now I'm seeking other routes to a degree here. Thanks
Business 101: Principles of Management
Study.com, LLC
SDCM-0006
Course
04/15/2019
Business 102: Principles of Marketing
Study.com, LLC
SDCM-0007
Course
03/14/2019
Communications 101: Public Speaking
Study.com, LLC
SDCM-0055
Course
02/27/2019
Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications
Study.com, LLC
SDCM-0162
Course
06/15/2019
English 104: College Composition l
Study.com, LLC
SDCM-0057
Course
05/30/2019
History 106: The Civil War and Reconstruction
Study.com, LLC
SDCM-0040
Course
04/30/2019
History 108: History of the Vietnam War
Study.com, LLC
SDCM-0041
Course
07/02/2019
Political Science 102: American Government
Study.com, LLC
SDCM-0042
Course
03/29/2019
Statistics 101: Principles of Statistics
Study.com, LLC
SDCM-0068
Course
08/15/2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes Acam10's post:
  • cookderosa
Good for you and your daughter! That is some serious dedication.
Be sure to check https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.com/ and the book for info on dual enrollment and other tips.
COSC does not seem to have an age requirement. A HS diploma is required, or college credit or standardized college-level proficiency examinations (9 cr). Maybe that would work with CLEP?
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • cookderosa
(10-22-2019, 04:32 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: Good for you and your daughter! That is some serious dedication.
Be sure to check https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.com/ and the book for info on dual enrollment and other tips.
COSC does not seem to have an age requirement. A HS diploma is required, or college credit or standardized college-level proficiency examinations (9 cr). Maybe that would work with CLEP?

Thanks for the shout out.
I'm active here too, so I'll try to help if I can.
Here's the thing, even if she were allowed in dual enrollment, sometimes (not always) a college will require a parent to graduate their student (as a technicality) before being allowed to graduate. We have that in NC as an example - many many students finish a full associate degree, but have to graduate their kids the day before or something silly to meet the technicality of sequence. So, traditional colleges aren't a great place to try and use 60 ACE credits, but Charter Oak is!

Charter Oak does not have a dual enrollment program, so what you're asking them is for regular admission. She can fill out the application and send her Studycom transcript (free) directly. It will cost $50 to apply, but that is required for a degree evaluation from them and being assigned an advisor.

She's off to a great start, and the cool thing about an AS from COSC is that when she is ready to pursue a bachelor's, her AS will be a perfect fit inside the business degree. (AS will allow her to take more business classes than the AA).

If you pull up their AS general education requirements, and also the Studycom transfer guide, you shouldn't have any trouble matching up the courses and making a degree plan. If you're not in the HS4CC degree planning group, I would suggest you join that group since it is specific to homeschool families who are degree planning in high school. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DegreePlanning
(10-22-2019, 05:11 PM)I cookderosa Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 04:32 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: Good for you and your daughter! That is some serious dedication.

Here's the thing, even if she were allowed in dual enrollment, sometimes (not always) a college will require a parent to graduate their student (as a technicality) before being allowed to graduate.  We have that in NC as an example - many many students finish a full associate degree, but have to graduate their kids the day before or something silly to meet the technicality of sequence.  So, traditional colleges aren't a great place to try and use 60 ACE credits, but Charter Oak is!

Charter Oak does not have a dual enrollment program, so what you're asking them is for regular admission.  She can fill out the application and send her Studycom transcript (free) directly.   It will cost $50 to apply, but that is required for a degree evaluation from them and being assigned an advisor.

She's off to a great start, and the cool thing about an AS from COSC is that when she is ready to pursue a bachelor's, her AS will be a perfect fit inside the business degree.  (AS will allow her to take more business classes than the AA).

If you pull up their AS general education requirements, and also the Studycom transfer guide, you shouldn't have any trouble matching up the courses and making a degree plan.  If you're not in the HS4CC degree planning group, I would suggest you join that group since it is specific to homeschool families who are degree planning in high school.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/DegreePlanning
Thank you so much. I’ve been looking at COSC. My question is about their 9 upper level classes for the major. It states a grade of “B” or better is required for UL classes but what if some of those classes are transferred in fromStudy.com (ACE Credits)? And if I understand you right, she could get her AS before graduating HS or just to apply after she graduates HS but keep working on classes now? Here in SC she has to have 3 1/2 -4 years of HS in order to get any Lottery Tuition money in college so she can’t really graduate early. Do 4 year public universities recognize a COSC AS Degree and would it transfer in as a unit to a four year institution?

(10-22-2019, 05:17 PM)Acam10 Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 05:11 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

Here's the thing, even if she were allowed in dual enrollment, sometimes (not always) a college will require a parent to graduate their student (as a technicality) before being allowed to graduate.  We have that in NC as an example - many many students finish a full associate degree, but have to graduate their kids the day before or something silly to meet the technicality of sequence.  So, traditional colleges aren't a great place to try and use 60 ACE credits, but Charter Oak is!

Charter Oak does not have a dual enrollment program, so what you're asking them is for regular admission.  She can fill out the application and send her Studycom transcript (free) directly.   It will cost $50 to apply, but that is required for a degree evaluation from them and being assigned an advisor.

She's off to a great start, and the cool thing about an AS from COSC is that when she is ready to pursue a bachelor's, her AS will be a perfect fit inside the business degree.  (AS will allow her to take more business classes than the AA).

If you pull up their AS general education requirements, and also the Studycom transfer guide, you shouldn't have any trouble matching up the courses and making a degree plan.  If you're not in the HS4CC degree planning group, I would suggest you join that group since it is specific to homeschool families who are degree planning in high school.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/DegreePlanning
Thank you so much. I’ve been looking at COSC. My question is about their 9 upper level classes for the major. It states a grade of “B” or better is required for UL classes but what if some of those classes are transferred in fromStudy.com (ACE Credits)? And if I understand you right, she could get her AS before graduating HS? Do 4 year public universities recognize a COSC AS Degree and would it transfer in as a unit to a four year institution?
Also, COSC says a total of 87 credits from a 2 year institution can transfer in. So if I get the 87 credits from SDC then I’m assuming the others must come from a 4 year institution? What about CLEPs? Do they count inthe 87 total transfer credits or not? Thanks
So I think you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Let me try to answer questions and tell you some issues:

1) non-graded credits are allowed, so the only time she needs a B or better is if she does graded credits

2) the 87cr max is for CC's, and then there's a separate 87cr max for each source of credit - so she could have 87cr from CC, 87cr from Study.com, 87cr from Straighterline, 87cr from CLEP, etc. Obviously you don't need that many credits, but mainly just remember it's 87cr from a single source (CC's total or each course provider)

3) Most 4yr schools don't take block transfer of credits, so getting an AA/AS won't usually help much unless you choose a school that will do so. SC State won't unless it's from an in-state CC/TC; Coastal Carolina will bring in an AA/AS as a block to meet the core curriculum, which is only 38cr (so you're trading 60cr for 38cr); U of SC won't; etc. So this probably isn't your best strategy for going to an in-state school

4) I'm willing to bet most of the in-state schools you're looking at won't take ACE credit, which means that even though they're used in an AA, the schools won't take the credits at all. So you'll lose everything that you do through Study.com or any other ACE provider if you want to continue on that path. U of SC won't take ACE, neither will SC State, nor will Coastal Carolina.

5) It seems like you're possibly having her get a bachelor's degree, in which case I'm curious as to why you would then go to an in-state 4yr college for another degree? Also, the SC Lottery Tuition Assistance will only give you money towards a CC/TC (2yr schools only).

Here is a BSBA at COSC, you might want to try using Study.com to get your UL courses, since you'll max out on your credits at some point, and you should use them to get the most bang for your buck.

I also might think about slowing down on credit earning for a while, and instead look at some inexpensive MOOC's and other things to really delve deep into some subjects that interest her, since it will be a long time before she can get a degree (even at COSC, she needs to be 16, and at the rate she's going, she'll be done long before then).

Attached Files
.xlsx   Acam10 COSC BSBA.xlsx (Size: 54.22 KB / Downloads: 30)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(10-22-2019, 07:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So I think you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  Let me try to answer questions and tell you some issues:

1) non-graded credits are allowed, so the only time she needs a B or better is if she does graded credits

2) the 87cr max is for CC's, and then there's a separate 87cr max for each source of credit - so she could have 87cr from CC, 87cr from Study.com, 87cr from Straighterline, 87cr from CLEP, etc.  Obviously you don't need that many credits, but mainly just remember it's 87cr from a single source (CC's total or each course provider)

3) Most 4yr schools don't take block transfer of credits, so getting an AA/AS won't usually help much unless you choose a school that will do so.  SC State won't unless it's from an in-state CC/TC; Coastal Carolina will bring in an AA/AS as a block to meet the core curriculum, which is only 38cr (so you're trading 60cr for 38cr); U of SC won't; etc.  So this probably isn't your best strategy for going to an in-state school

4) I'm willing to bet most of the in-state schools you're looking at won't take ACE credit, which means that even though they're used in an AA, the schools won't take the credits at all.  So you'll lose everything that you do through Study.com or any other ACE provider if you want to continue on that path.  U of SC won't take ACE, neither will SC State, nor will Coastal Carolina.

5) It seems like you're possibly having her get a bachelor's degree, in which case I'm curious as to why you would then go to an in-state 4yr college for another degree?  Also, the SC Lottery Tuition Assistance will only give you money towards a CC/TC (2yr schools only).

Here is a BSBA at COSC, you might want to try using Study.com to get your UL courses, since you'll max out on your credits at some point, and you should use them to get the most bang for your buck.

I also might think about slowing down on credit earning for a while, and instead look at some inexpensive MOOC's and other things to really delve deep into some subjects that interest her, since it will be a long time before she can get a degree (even at COSC, she needs to be 16, and at the rate she's going, she'll be done long before then).
Thank you so much. This is very helpful. Since we paid for the year with SDC she’s trying to do as much as she can while maintaining other HS work for this one year. We will definitely be slowing down after January for sure. I had asked about the AS Degree in case she changed her mind later on on what she wants to do.... But at this point we’re just gonna concentrate slowly on a General BSBA Degree until she gets older and finds her place in life. I did have one last question. If she gets her BSBA Business Degree from COSC then later decides to go back to school for something else, could she enroll into a Master’s program at a 4 year college or do they not accept BSBA’s from places like TESU and COSC? TY again for all your help. I didn’t know most of this!! Smile
TESU and COSC are both State schools, and Regionally Accredited (RA), just like other 4yr schools - Harvard, Yale, MIT, University of SC, NC State, etc. She could go elsewhere to get another bachelor's or master's - the only issue may be that they want more graded credit than she'll have if you go the COSC/alternative credit route. She could end up with a BA/BS with only 6cr of graded coursework (the cornerstone and the capstone).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
Forthe COSC BSBA degree, where would you recommend she take the Business Statistics class since I'm assuming the the study.com class STAT-101 Principles of Statistics doesn't appear to count toward that from your spreadsheet? Thanks
(10-24-2019, 08:33 PM)Acam10 Wrote: Forthe COSC BSBA degree, where would you recommend she take the Business Statistics class since I'm assuming the the study.com class STAT-101 Principles of Statistics doesn't appear to count toward that from your spreadsheet? Thanks

My spreadsheet hasn't been updated in a while.

ALEKS, SL, and Study.com all have Business Stats (Study.com's is new).
Hi dfrecore
How does this newly updated version look. I sent you a PM here too. thanks I think i got the spreadsheet to link here but couldn't in Pm message.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Acam10-COSC-BSBA-2.xlsx (Size: 57.59 KB / Downloads: 22)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 29 356 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 128 9 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 268 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,471 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,849 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 174 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 947 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 560 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 238 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM