Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help, Please. Testing Out and Information Overload
The best way to get through quickly is by taking some one-and-done exams that you won't require any studying for. What those exams are will depend on where you have background knowledge. Cost-wise, CLEPs are free
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(04-10-2019, 12:19 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: The best way to get through quickly is by taking some one-and-done exams that you won't require any studying for. What those exams are will depend on where you have background knowledge. Cost-wise, CLEPs are free

This shows me the CLEP is $87 per test:

https://clep.collegeboard.org/earn-colle...o-register

Also, assume there is more flexibility on the classes for GE than business requirements. For instance, Dfrecore has an algebra course under general education in the document he posted before, I assume I can swap that out for something else (or at least hope).
(04-10-2019, 12:40 PM)degreeguy Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 12:19 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: The best way to get through quickly is by taking some one-and-done exams that you won't require any studying for. What those exams are will depend on where you have background knowledge. Cost-wise, CLEPs are free

Also, assume there is more flexibility on the classes for GE than business requirements. For instance, Dfrecore has an algebra course under general education in the document he posted before, I assume I can swap that out for something else (or at least hope).

If you go through ModernStates course for CLEP prep, you can take CLEP exam(s) for free - https://modernstates.org/
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • degreeguy
(04-10-2019, 12:40 PM)degreeguy Wrote:

Yes, I was in a hurry and didn't specify what allvia pointed out, namely that for CLEPs to be free you have to get the voucher from Modern States.

There is some flexibility, but you WILL have to take either College Algebra (which will be your cheapest option) or Quantitative Business Analysis (which is also available from some providers, at least from Study.com - can't speak to how difficult it is) since you're going for a BSBA. You'll also have to take Statistics.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I know you would like to finish before the end of 2019, but with the new TESU rule of 100 credits need to be done prior to Capstone it might be tough with the available schedule you've described.  However, it is reasonable to think that a year from now you will be done - just imagine that, being done in one year's time (a 2020 college graduate!).  I agree with getting the Cornerstone done as soon as you can, being enrolled makes it much easier to deal with TESU.  Also if you're knowledgeable in some topics check out the TECEPs LL topics are only $75 https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php - they too enroll you if you can't swing the Cornerstone just yet. Your transcript is from a NJ CC, I'm assuming you're a NJ resident so you'll get instate tuition for it without needing to complete anything through study.com first.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(04-10-2019, 02:19 PM)allvia Wrote: I know you would like to finish before the end of 2019, but with the new TESU rule of 100 credits need to be done prior to Capstone it might be tough with the available schedule you've described.  However, it is reasonable to think that a year from now you will be done - just imagine that, being done in one year's time (a 2020 college graduate!).  I agree with getting the Cornerstone done as soon as you can, being enrolled makes it much easier to deal with TESU.  Also if you're knowledgeable in some topics check out the TECEPs LL topics are only $75 https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php - they too enroll you if you can't swing the Cornerstone just yet. Your transcript is from a NJ CC, I'm assuming you're a NJ resident so you'll get instate tuition for it without needing to complete anything through study.com first.

I understand what you're saying, but I think I can get it done. 

The Cornerstone I'm going to enroll as soon as I'm accepted. I just went through the course list and took a few practice tests. A lot of them fall under my knowledge and I believe I can pass relatively quickly. 

I have 27 credits, which I think should be accepted. They're pretty standard courses from an in-state CC. If I was to assume that the 27 are accepted, I need 73:

Marketing 302, 303, 306, & 308 I think I can knock through in 2.5-3 weeks
Digital Marketing 309 & Market Research (411) shouldn't hopefully take me more than a week 

Playing conservatively, by the 3rd week of May, that should give me 45 credits, with all of my UL knocked out of the way. That leaves me over 3 months to work through the LL stuff and professional requirements to get another 55. Some of the LL ones I can work through on a semi-daily basis.

2 free electives (2 days) 6 credits
Macroeconomics/Business Communication (10 days) 6 credits
GE Electives (2 days per each/10 days) 15 credits
Statistics (2 days) 3 credits
Ethics (2 days) 3 credits

If I can stick to the above script, that should get me to 78 by the end of June. That will leave me with 19 to go over 2 months (assuming completion of Cornerstone within 3 months of enrollment), which if I went for 21 would equal one course per every 8.5 days and 101 credits by August, basically leaving me with a hellish May/June/July/August, but a fairly smooth ride into graduation in December. 

That is the goal I'm setting for myself. 

My birthday is Friday and I have a ton of stuff to do with the wife and kids over the next few days, but after that, I intend on starting the SDC classes next week. I know they'll transfer here, and if not, they'll transfer to one of the other schools, no need to delay, need to start moving.
(04-10-2019, 02:57 PM)degreeguy Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 02:19 PM)allvia Wrote: I know you would like to finish before the end of 2019, but with the new TESU rule of 100 credits need to be done prior to Capstone it might be tough with the available schedule you've described.  However, it is reasonable to think that a year from now you will be done - just imagine that, being done in one year's time (a 2020 college graduate!).  I agree with getting the Cornerstone done as soon as you can, being enrolled makes it much easier to deal with TESU.  Also if you're knowledgeable in some topics check out the TECEPs LL topics are only $75 https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php - they too enroll you if you can't swing the Cornerstone just yet. Your transcript is from a NJ CC, I'm assuming you're a NJ resident so you'll get instate tuition for it without needing to complete anything through study.com first.

I understand what you're saying, but I think I can get it done. 

The Cornerstone I'm going to enroll as soon as I'm accepted. I just went through the course list and took a few practice tests. A lot of them fall under my knowledge and I believe I can pass relatively quickly. 

I have 27 credits, which I think should be accepted. They're pretty standard courses from an in-state CC. If I was to assume that the 27 are accepted, I need 73:

Marketing 302, 303, 306, & 308 I think I can knock through in 2.5-3 weeks
Digital Marketing 309 & Market Research (411) shouldn't hopefully take me more than a week 

Playing conservatively, by the 3rd week of May, that should give me 45 credits, with all of my UL knocked out of the way. That leaves me over 3 months to work through the LL stuff and professional requirements to get another 55. Some of the LL ones I can work through on a semi-daily basis.

2 free electives (2 days) 6 credits
Macroeconomics/Business Communication (10 days) 6 credits
GE Electives (2 days per each/10 days) 15 credits
Statistics (2 days) 3 credits
Ethics (2 days) 3 credits

If I can stick to the above script, that should get me to 78 by the end of June. That will leave me with 19 to go over 2 months (assuming completion of Cornerstone within 3 months of enrollment), which if I went for 21 would equal one course per every 8.5 days and 101 credits by August, basically leaving me with a hellish May/June/July/August, but a fairly smooth ride into graduation in December. 

That is the goal I'm setting for myself. 

My birthday is Friday and I have a ton of stuff to do with the wife and kids over the next few days, but after that, I intend on starting the SDC classes next week. I know they'll transfer here, and if not, they'll transfer to one of the other schools, no need to delay, need to start moving.

Alright here are the quickest things you could do to get started.

1. sophia.org 2 free 1 credit courses (knock them both out in day or less)
2. study.com Library science 101 (knock this out in a day or less as well super easy and useful for cornerstone/capstone prep.
3. study.com presentation skills in workplace (speech requirement, could finish in a few hours if you have enough prior knowledge)

There you go 8 college credits in an instant. If you actually followed your plan and studied like ten hours you could maybe do all 8 credits in a single day.
(04-10-2019, 11:38 AM)degreeguy Wrote: So I have 4 months to pick up about 75 credits, have them evaluated, and enrolled in the Capstone by August for the 12 week course which should have me on pace for a degree in December.

Basically, I need to complete 7 courses a month. Doable on Study.com?

Study.com only allows you to take 2 proctored exams a month, is this accurate? It looks like there is an additional fee of $70 per proctored course over 2 in any month. 

I assume this would be a reason to combine Study.com with Saylor, TECEP, etc?

You can do 7 courses a month with Study.com, or in combination with other providers, but no matter how you look at it, 7 courses a month is EXTREMELY aggressive. It isn't like college courses are easy. Most courses take a week or two weeks each to complete if you're coming in with no prior knowledge and can put in 20hrs a week or more. Of course, if you have experience in that subject it could only take you a couple of days to complete. The UL courses are usually the hardest since you have papers and/or projects to complete in addition to the reading, quizzes, and final exam.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you may want to set some more reasonable expectations. Or at least keep in mind that you might not be able to keep up that pace for an extended period. Of course, if you don't work and don't have a family to distract you so you can dedicate every waking moment to studying, then your goal isn't that unrealistic-–but most of us aren't in that position.

As for Study.com, the most cost-effective way to do Study.com is to take a ton of courses and pay for the extra exams. It brings the cost per course down from $100 average to closer to $70 average, which is a great deal compared to other providers. You can also take courses from Saylor or OnlineDegree to shave costs, but they will probably take longer to complete.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon
Hi everyone - thanks again for all of the great advice!

I set up my student portal and used Parchmont to send over my community college transcripts, which I assume will take a few weeks to be evaluated.

Now, I need to figure out how to make this the most cost effective way of doing things, and I doubt TESU will provide the same information as this board.

I assume I'm going to enroll in the per credit tuition plan, correct? The only course I intend on taking for now through TESU is the Cornerstone (Capstone obviously later). Is there a cost associated with transferring in credits from Study.com, Sophia, Saylor, etc?

I just registered for the Sophia courses now, each is 1 credit, can some also confirm these will transfer in?
Finished the Sophia courses on a second monitor while at work today. 2 credits down, 91 to go. I'm going to assume that those Sophia courses I took today are by far as easy as it will get, safe assumption?

Would like to knock another two courses down in the next 2-3 days.

Can I use the two courses recommended above (study.com Library science 101 & study.com presentation skills in workplace) for GE electives? Going to sign up for Study.com and get going tonight after I help the wife put the kids to bed.

Also, want to sign up for the Cornerstone, elected for the per credit plan as I only intend on taking two courses at TESU. In there student portal, where would I find SOS-110 (what subject, etc.?)? Their portal is isn't very user friendly, at least for now... According to the dates, I can get in for late registration for a 12 week term from 5/6 until 7/28.

Also, if I am going to try and get an MBA from Baruch in the NYC after my BSBA from TESU, I assume having some grades (along with a strong GMAT and solid recommendations) is important.

Doesn't everything coming in from Study.com come in as a pass/fail? How will that be viewed on an application?

And to add -reading through this forum, can I take free courses at Teex? I believe I can pick up 10 credits there? Should I register for an official ACE account for transcript documents.

Anyone with knowledge on any of my questions chiming in would be greatly appreciated!

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit

From the second link in this thread, can I use all of those credits? How does this free program work, do I have to pay for a proctor or anything else fee related?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pre-Med Help in Testing Out Emily-NYC 16 1,392 09-19-2023, 02:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Where is the TESU RA Information Located? virino 3 460 12-17-2022, 07:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degree plans for health information technology bcameau1 4 998 03-29-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Management Information Systems Minor question davemodular 4 916 09-24-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Please help with plan for BS in Information Technology andrers 3 817 06-29-2021, 08:20 AM
  Purdue Global BS in Information Technology Plan Needs Review 9yeire 12 2,368 03-14-2021, 01:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Business degree through testing? Lailalopez81 12 1,790 02-25-2021, 08:12 PM
  information technology BA Nourhan 7 996 02-03-2021, 11:04 AM
  DSST & Uexcel Advice -- Limited Exams & Testing Availability vanglorious 2 835 09-25-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  Excelsior liberal arts degree plan using Clep or other testing methods rsims123 5 1,440 05-29-2020, 05:05 PM
Last Post: ctcarl