Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How different are capstones from school to school?
I just read a thread where someone said the BALS capstone at TESU requires a 25 page paper. Never having had a degree before, I just assumed that all schools basically required the same thing for each capstone. I don't know why I assumed that but now that I saw that thread I'm curious as to how different they would be from school to school. In fact, I don't even know what a capstone class is, aside from a class that allows you to prove what you know. 

I'm currently in the process of weighing the pros and cons of TESU BALS vs EC BSLA and was leaning towards TESU (even though EC would give me more credits), mostly because TESU only requires 15 UL classes.  I just need the box checked. Cost isn't a consideration. Just need this done the easiest way I can.

Now this capstone throws a new question out - how different are they from school to school as far as requirements go?  

I'd really appreciate any input please. Thank you in advance!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
Most of us haven't done capstones at multiple schools, so it's hard to judge.

That being said, my WGU capstone was much easier (but similar page length to TESU) because it was based in a real world project that I completed in my professional life.

My TESU capstone was more work, but more interesting because I chose something I was unfamiliar with but interested in looking into.

So, as with everything, I guess the answer is that it simply depends on your background.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • quigongene, suzycupcake
I believe capstone papers are usually 20+ pages. They're like a mini-thesis.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • suzycupcake
(06-14-2019, 09:03 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: I just read a thread where someone said the BALS capstone at TESU requires a 25 page paper. Never having had a degree before, I just assumed that all schools basically required the same thing for each capstone. I don't know why I assumed that but now that I saw that thread I'm curious as to how different they would be from school to school. In fact, I don't even know what a capstone class is, aside from a class that allows you to prove what you know. 

I'm currently in the process of weighing the pros and cons of TESU BALS vs EC BSLA and was leaning towards TESU (even though EC would give me more credits), mostly because TESU only requires 15 UL classes.  I just need the box checked. Cost isn't a consideration. Just need this done the easiest way I can.

Now this capstone throws a new question out - how different are they from school to school as far as requirements go?  

The Undergraduate Research Commons (URC) is a publishing platform specifically for undergraduate research, including Capstones and Honors Theses. It's a good informational source, and a lot of colleges and universities are represented.  I just enrolled in TESU's capstone, so I've been looking at a lot of papers to help generate ideas, observe writing styles, etc.    

https://undergraduatecommons.com/publica...apstones_2
TESU: BALS Capstone
SNHU CfA: Intro to Ethics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Argumentation & Communication, Intro to Mass Communications, Intro to Philosophy, World Lit I, Environmental Science, Business Communication, Principles of Management, Online Success, Skills for Business 
CLEP: Eng Comp 
Sophia.org: Effective Teams, Managing Conflict, Ancient Greek Philosophers
Study.com: Personal Finance, Presentation Skills, Info Literacy, Intro to Computing, Earth Science, A History of Vietnam War, Intro to Political Science, American Government, Database Management, Info Systems, Physical Geology
CSM Learn: The CSM Course
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 
Shmoop: History of Technology, Human Sexuality, U.S. History I & II, Classical Lit, The Bible as Lit, Psychology 101, Shakespeare's Plays, Professional Writing, Media Literacy, Journalism 101, Lit in the Media, Intro to E-Commerce
The Institutes: Ethics
TECEP: Computer Concepts and Applications
ALEKS: College Algebra
[-] The following 5 users Like badooble's post:
  • Leedeedee, scorpion, SuZQ2, suzycupcake, Tedium
(06-21-2019, 01:01 PM)badooble Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 09:03 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: I just read a thread where someone said the BALS capstone at TESU requires a 25 page paper. Never having had a degree before, I just assumed that all schools basically required the same thing for each capstone. I don't know why I assumed that but now that I saw that thread I'm curious as to how different they would be from school to school. In fact, I don't even know what a capstone class is, aside from a class that allows you to prove what you know. 

The Undergraduate Research Commons (URC) is a publishing platform for undergraduate research, including Capstones and Honors Theses. It's a good informational source, and a lot of colleges and universities are represented.  I just enrolled in TESU's capstone, so I've been looking at a lot of papers to help generate ideas, observe writing styles, etc.    

https://undergraduatecommons.com/publica...apstones_2

WOW thanks!!!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • badooble
This is a great resource! Wish I had known this before starting my Capstone. I just submitted my final Capstone project yesterday. TESU does not seem to be in the list of institutions. Wish they were.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • jsd
Depending on your subject, your capstone will be much longer than 25 pages. Mine was 97, iirc, for TESU. There are a list of requirements you have to hit and that's more important than the page count. If your subject was creative writing or something I could see it being 25, but my works cited section was like 3 pages long by itself. You'll blow through 25 pages pretty quick.

I am planning to do another degree at COSC later this year, I'll report back about how that capstone differs.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • Muldoon, suzycupcake
(06-21-2019, 10:32 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Depending on your subject, your capstone will be much longer than 25 pages. Mine was 97, iirc, for TESU. ...

Only if you want it to be. Mine came in just barely over 25 pages. Good for a high 90s score.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • suzycupcake
I did not have one large Capstone paper.  

Excelsior College HEM498 Capstone Writing (Fall 2017):
Discussions (16) = 7,257-words = 19 Pages
Discussions Reply’s (16) = 4,192-words = 11-Pages
Papers (4) = 8,430-words = 23-Pages
Total HEM498 Capstone Writing: 19,879-words = 53-Pages
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

jsh1138 Wrote:Depending on your subject, your capstone will be much longer than 25 pages. Mine was 97, iirc, for TESU.

I am planning to do another degree at COSC later this year, I'll report back about how that capstone differs.

Great work, 97 pages eh? Anyways, which degree are you going after at COSC?

Life Long Learning Wrote:I did not have one large Capstone paper.  

Excelsior College HEM498 Capstone Writing (Fall 2017):
Discussions (16) = 7,257-words = 19 Pages
Discussions Reply’s (16) = 4,192-words = 11-Pages
Papers (4) = 8,430-words = 23-Pages
Total HEM498 Capstone Writing: 19,879-words = 53-Pages

Hmm, from reading that, it's comparable to a 53+ page capstone paper.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,088 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Masters With What School? learningthehardway 43 3,771 08-27-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: learningthehardway
  Kibo School Bsc Comp Sci? FrHaseKopf 2 688 07-25-2022, 10:35 AM
Last Post: FrHaseKopf
  TAMUC Org Leadership Capstones mohelena02 6 1,065 06-20-2022, 07:15 AM
Last Post: teejayb
  Best School To Transfer Over 200 credits spencydub 17 2,527 12-22-2021, 01:40 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Honestly looking for Easy/Casual School Unistic 35 4,846 11-28-2021, 12:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Big Three -> B/M School MrWileyCoyote 5 1,303 04-14-2020, 12:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Big 3 to Lawyer/Law School in CA - Feedback Requested slaterjack 10 3,251 03-29-2019, 09:01 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Which school, if any, would be best for applying to a top 20 grad school? cstobler 9 1,687 01-16-2019, 10:42 AM
Last Post: tesu-acct-student