Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I improve my writing skills?
I'm getting pretty close to finishing my degree so I'll have to complete my capstone with TESU soon. I know the capstone is very writing intensive, so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or resources for me to improve my writing skills. Maybe even resource specifically for capstones? I'm not sure if this is a common issue I pretty much have a fear of writing and I do NOT want to fail the capstone. Any help would be appreciated!
Working on: TESU BA Psychology & Criminal Justice

Completed:
Straighterline: Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Communications, Intro to Religion, Western Civilization I, Organizational 
 Behavior, Cultural Anthropology, Business Ethics,
Sophia: Ancient Greek Philosophers, Art History I, Introduction to Sociology, Project Management, Intro to Statistics
TEEX: Death Investigation
Coopersmith: Abnormal Psychology
Study.com: The Juvenile Justice System
Without knowing exactly what you want to improve, the only real advice I can offer for you is to do more writing. Maybe even take English Comp I/II again to brush up on your writing skills. Watching/reading things doesn't usually help as much as actually doing when it comes to writing.

Sophia is free until the end of the month, you already have taken Sophia courses I see. ASU has English 101 as a self-paced option and English 102 starts again on August 18th.; you'd only need to pay if you specifically want credit for those classes.

I think your fear is pretty common. At least, I've experienced the same thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ab10365
(07-16-2020, 08:05 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Without knowing exactly what you want to improve, the only real advice I can offer for you is to do more writing. Maybe even take English Comp I/II again to brush up on your writing skills. Watching/reading things doesn't usually help as much as actually doing when it comes to writing.

Sophia is free until the end of the month, you already have taken Sophia courses I see. ASU has English 101 as a self-paced option and English 102 starts again on August 18th.; you'd only need to pay if you specifically want credit for those classes.

I support Rache83az's suggestions. While I still don't like to write, taking 2 courses at a community college with a GREAT instructor who was very positive and supportive helped to minimize (not eliminate) my fear of writing.  But I've found that the longer I don't write, the harder it becomes TO write.

Sorry to sound like a Nike commercial, but just DO it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LongRoad's post:
  • ab10365
(07-16-2020, 08:05 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Without knowing exactly what you want to improve, the only real advice I can offer for you is to do more writing. Maybe even take English Comp I/II again to brush up on your writing skills. Watching/reading things doesn't usually help as much as actually doing when it comes to writing.

Thank you! Would you recommend the Sophia English course? Or if you have experience with ASU's course would you recommend that? I don't know how to explain what I need help with other than I have terrible writer's block. Not only that, but I have a hard time transitioning between subjects in an essay. I'm fine when it comes to writing short answer questions but when it comes to writing actual papers I'm all over the place.

Completed:
Straighterline: Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Communications, Intro to Religion, Western Civilization I, Organizational 
Sophia: Ancient Greek Philosophers, Art History I, Introduction to Sociology, Project Management, Intro to Statistics
(07-16-2020, 12:19 PM)ab10365 Wrote:

Thank you! Would you recommend the Sophia English course? Or if you have experience with ASU's course would you recommend that? I don't know how to explain what I need help with other than I have terrible writer's block. Not only that, but I have a hard time transitioning between subjects in an essay. I'm fine when it comes to writing short answer questions but when it comes to writing actual papers I'm all over the place.
I recommend the Sophia English comp courses. They're free right now so I'd start them and worst case is you don't find them useful and try something else instead. The papers you write will be relatively short and basic compared to what you'd do in a capstone but the principles will be the same.

What I personally find helps is to write out a mind map to help organize my thoughts.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • ab10365
(07-16-2020, 11:49 AM)LongRoad Wrote:

I support Rache83az's suggestions. While I still don't like to write, taking 2 courses at a community college with a GREAT instructor who was very positive and supportive helped to minimize (not eliminate) my fear of writing.  But I've found that the longer I don't write, the harder it becomes TO write.

I considered that. I only wish I had more time before I begin my capstone course (I'll probably start in November). Even after the course I may still take some writing classes at a local CC for my own personal improvement. I really do envy people that enjoy writing.

Completed:
(07-16-2020, 12:19 PM)ab10365 Wrote: Thank you! Would you recommend the Sophia English course? Or if you have experience with ASU's course would you recommend that? I don't know how to explain what I need help with other than I have terrible writer's block. Not only that, but I have a hard time transitioning between subjects in an essay. I'm fine when it comes to writing short answer questions but when it comes to writing actual papers I'm all over the place.

I haven't taken Sopha's Eng. Comp II yet, but I was very good. The only issues were the grading times. I really like ASU's English 102 so far, even though there is quite a bit of writing. It's definitely more than you'd get with Sophia. Honestly, if you have the time, I'd say to take both Sophia and ASU (though not at the same time) just to get the practice in, since they won't cost you any money out of pocket.

I also feel like I have issues with transitioning between subjects in an essay. Sophia's Eng. Comp I has some good strategies for planning out an essay. (I'd assume that ASU's English 101 is similar in that regard.) They've really helped, IMO, and I've gotten pretty good grades on all my Sophia essays so far. It's possible that you're better than you think you are, but some extra practice is always going to be helpful.
(07-16-2020, 02:01 PM)ab10365 Wrote:

I considered that. I only wish I had more time before I begin my capstone course (I'll probably start in November). Even after the course I may still take some writing classes at a local CC for my own personal improvement. I really do envy people that enjoy writing.

I've been a professional writer for decades and I don't enjoy writing.  Tongue
[-] The following 3 users Like monchevy's post:
  • ab10365, Muldoon, rachel83az
(07-16-2020, 03:03 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 02:01 PM)ab10365 Wrote:

I've been a professional writer for decades and I don't enjoy writing.  Tongue
Monchevy, I do not find that comforting AT ALL! My hope was that at some point I'd enjoy it!
(07-16-2020, 03:51 PM)LongRoad Wrote: Monchevy, I do not find that comforting AT ALL! My hope was that at some point I'd enjoy it!

At one point, I wanted to get a degree in English and have a career in writing. I thought I liked writing. I'm finding that I very much dislike academic writing at least. I'm very tired of all these essays. And it's not even that many essays. I wish I could get paid to just learn things but skip the essay writing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capstone Writing: Tips & Tricks rachel83az 11 25,770 01-25-2024, 11:46 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  outlier College Writing II liangju1@asu.edu 4 545 11-10-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Research sources for writing assignments? GizmoJack 23 91,130 05-29-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 783 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Teaching Theoretical Knowledge Verses Practical Skills In College LevelUP 2 1,366 02-19-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What courses should I take to learn the Data skills/tools I need? Vle045 8 832 06-15-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Grammarly useful for writing collegechick 11 2,294 08-23-2021, 02:30 AM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  writing refresher for ENEB jb111 3 1,032 08-17-2021, 05:02 PM
Last Post: RiverM
  Need help writing competencies RoyalSpade 2 900 05-09-2021, 05:57 PM
Last Post: allvia
  New CLEP coming Fall 2019 - Spanish w/Writing dfrecore 0 1,129 05-26-2019, 11:45 PM
Last Post: dfrecore