Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many Classes is it safe to take a year while on active duty?
dfrecore Wrote:I don't think that the OP should think that because you can do this, he/she can as well. They might be able to handle 1 class, or 6, who knows. A lot would also depend on the class; a history course is going to require a lot of reading; English comp is going to require a ton of writing; math is going to require a lot of homework. But if they're good at math, or writing, or a fast reader, or love the subject, then it's going to be easier for one person than another.

25 years ago, my mom was working 60 hours a week and decided to go back to school. She needed 21 additional credits to get into a cohort program that was starting in January; she took 18cr in a single semester, plus CLEP'd a course. Did she do it? Yes. Did she hate every second of it? Yep. Did she have a life during those 16 weeks? Nope. Would she recommend it to anyone? Not unless they were in a similar situation. Then she'd tell them to suck it up and get it done.

The is just no way to tell someone how much THEY can handle.

When I said it was doable, I really meant to say that it's possible. I listed all the limiting factors that I can think of that will prevent him/her from achieving their goal. The OP asked for advice, and I gave an example of what I'm doing to show that it can be done; to use it as motivation. I know others who have taken two classes at a time as well. It's really all about balance.
dfrecore Wrote:I don't think that the OP should think that because you can do this, he/she can as well. They might be able to handle 1 class, or 6, who knows. A lot would also depend on the class; a history course is going to require a lot of reading; English comp is going to require a ton of writing; math is going to require a lot of homework. But if they're good at math, or writing, or a fast reader, or love the subject, then it's going to be easier for one person than another.

25 years ago, my mom was working 60 hours a week and decided to go back to school. She needed 21 additional credits to get into a cohort program that was starting in January; she took 18cr in a single semester, plus CLEP'd a course. Did she do it? Yes. Did she hate every second of it? Yep. Did she have a life during those 16 weeks? Nope. Would she recommend it to anyone? Not unless they were in a similar situation. Then she'd tell them to suck it up and get it done.

The is just no way to tell someone how much THEY can handle.

Or take the College Comp clep without Essay and the DSST Advanced English no writing required at all.
All except one
Thank you guys for the advice. I'm single, no kids (that i know of) and my bachelors is in Technical management with a focus in information systems management.
EazyE Wrote:Thank you guys for the advice. I'm single, no kids (that i know of) and my bachelors is in Technical management with a focus in information systems management.

Since you've got time on your hands, I would take as many courses as possible and get it over with...
Where are you heading for the BS in Tech Management? I assume this is at Excelsior?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Louisville - Masters (Active Duty) bjcheung77 0 631 06-16-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Brandman...Earn your Master's in only 7 classes. blaqberry 21 12,590 10-20-2021, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,775 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  Passing NUC495 and other upper level classes without taking 100/200 level classes Randy8876 0 1,567 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Randy8876
  Are SPēD certificates worth anything? What about their ACE-approved classes? OfficerA 2 1,563 05-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Leherself
  Best schools with online programs for Active Duty military ddwyer44 11 2,582 11-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Last Post: defscarlett
  (USAF) Other than instructor duty and cross-training (I think), what's CCAF for? OfficerA 5 1,632 05-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  FEMA Independent Study online classes for military service with GED kbk1061 18 3,255 09-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Max amount of cleps you can take while in AF active duty? Sorbik 4 1,289 04-28-2013, 05:28 AM
Last Post: Harpda
  AF cuts proctored exams for DL classes, and more dcan 4 1,599 06-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Last Post: rhapsodyinblue