Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Completely Test Out of TESC Degrees
Let me know if I made any mistakes.

BA in Humanities
Maximum of 6 credits in 100-level courses and minimum of 18 credits in 300/400-level aka upper-level courses, which includes required capstone. Credits in at least 3 different subjects: minimum 12 in one subject, maximum 18 in one subject.
100-level: TECEP Introduction to News Reporting, DSST Art of the Western World, CLEP French Level I or II (6 credits), CLEP German Level I or II (6 credits), CLEP Humanities (6 credits), CLEP American Literature, CLEP Spanish Level I or II (6 credits), ECE Introduction to Philosophy, Uexcel Spanish Language (6 credits), and Straighterline Introduction to Philosophy.
200-level: DSST Principals of Public Speaking, DSST Technical Writing, DSST Ethics in America, CLEP English Literature (6 credits), Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (6 credits), CLEP Spanish Level II (requires a minimum score of 63, six 200-level credits), CLEP French Level II (requires a minimum score of 59, six 200-level credits), CLEP German Level II (requires minimum score of 60, six 200-level credits), TECEP Technical Writing, and TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice.
300/400-level: DSST Introduction to World Religions, Straighterline Business Communications, Straighterline Introduction to Religion? (would probably duplicate DSST), ECE Interpersonal Communication (should transcribe as COM-330), ECE Bioethics: Philosophical Issues (might have to convince them not to transcribe as biology course), ECE Ethics: Theory and Practice?, ECE Workplace Communication with Computers? (might duplicate Straighterline Business Communications), Straighterline Business Ethics?, and DSST Business Ethics and Society (might have to do some convincing to not have it transcribed as a business course, could duplicate Straighterline Business Ethics).
Required Liberal Arts Capstone (UL)
Note: Don’t know how TESC will transcribe Straighterline Introduction to Communications.

I forgot. You might be able to get TESC to do something with Saylor's Corporate Communication and Business Law and Ethics. They are approved for credit by the National College Credit Recommendation Service. While listed as a political theory course, Introduction to Western Political Thought sounds like a philosophy of politics course. You might be able to get TESC to accept this as a humanities course too. The courses are self-paced, but require a proctored exam for credit.

Attached Files
.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">BA in Humanities.docx (Size: 11.92 KB / Downloads: 0)
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
BA in History
Maximum of 6 credits in 100-level courses and minimum of 18 credits in 300/400-level aka upper-level courses, which includes required capstone.
Required Courses
Western Civilization I & II or World History I & II: CLEP Western Civilization I, CLEP Western Civilization II, Straighterline Western Civilization I, and Straighterline Western Civilization II.
American History I & II: CLEP History of the United States I, CLEP History of the United States II, Straighterline United States History I, and Straighterline United States History II.
Non-Western/Non-United States History: An Introduction to the Middle East (UL)
History Electives
DSST Western Europe Since 1945
DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction
DSST A History of the Vietnam War (UL)
DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union
ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 (UL?)
Note: You may have to take one or two more UL history courses.

Attached Files
.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">BA in History.docx (Size: 10.98 KB / Downloads: 0)
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I am going for the BA in Psych and to my understanding, as far as the 21 credits of Psych Electives go, we can take 3 credits at 100 level and the rest (18 cred) have to be 300/400 level. I think you listed 6 credits at 100 level. The LA capstone is seperate from all of this.
That's because Intro to Psychology is a required course and a 100-level course. That leaves 3 more 100-level credits for the psych electives. That's a total of six 100-level credits in the area of study. I was listing the requirements for the whole area of study, not just the psych electives. The Liberal Arts Capstone and Experimental Psychology count toward the 18 UL credit requirement. That means you have to take at least 12 UL credits within the psych electives. The rest can be 200-level courses.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
First I want to say thank you to the op for the time they put into creating this thread, it was very helpful. I found a degree plan for BSBA in General Management and wanted to make sure it is correct. It seems like it lines up with what is posted in this thread, but this thread does not have the general education listed.

I also had a question about my language courses that I have taken. I took the NYU proficiency exam and earned 12 points. Can this apply toward my humanities or any other part of my degree plan? My goal is to go on and get a MBA in International Business from a well known organization in the future.

I am going in circles researching all of this and it seems time for studying is slipping away lol. I would love to get started and your help is greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Attached Files
.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">BSBA in General Plan.docx (Size: 96.66 KB / Downloads: 1)
sanantone Wrote:BA in History
Maximum of 6 credits in 100-level courses and minimum of 18 credits in 300/400-level aka upper-level courses, which includes required capstone.
Required Courses
Western Civilization I & II or World History I & II: CLEP Western Civilization I, CLEP Western Civilization II, Straighterline Western Civilization I, and Straighterline Western Civilization II.
American History I & II: CLEP History of the United States I, CLEP History of the United States II, Straighterline United States History I, and Straighterline United States History II.
Non-Western/Non-United States History: An Introduction to the Middle East (UL)
History Electives
DSST Western Europe Since 1945
DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction
DSST A History of the Vietnam War (UL)
DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union
ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 (UL?)
Note: You may have to take one or two more UL history courses.

Very good! I posted a sample BA in History degree plan at Degree Forum Wiki awhile ago in case anyone is interested: TESC BA in History Degree Plan Template - Degree Forum Wiki

For the ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 you have a question mark whether this counts as UL or not. Even though I haven't taken it myself, I do believe it does since Excelsior rates this at the 300 level:

Exam Details: HISX-340

The ACE National Guide also recommends this exam be counted as UL, something TESC usually goes by.

For the extra history course you'll need I highly recommend taking HIS-310 The Middle East at TESC in addition to the DSST Introduction to the Modern Middle East (counts as HIS-309 at TESC) as the material covered in both is virtually the same. I'm hoping that Saylor will eventually receive approval for UL history courses soon so a student can save a lot money by just taking some from them.

For anyone who is interested, there are some other sample degree plans at DF Wiki:

COSC Degree Plans - Degree Forum Wiki
Excelsior Degree Plans - Degree Forum Wiki
TESC Degree Plans - Degree Forum Wiki

Sanantone, you ought to add these to DF Wiki so more people will be able to find them once this thread becomes old and lost.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
I didn't want to make any assumptions like I made with Foundations of Gerontology. It's listed by Excelsior as UL, but TESC has it in their PLA database as LL. TESC is actually the one school that does not follow ACE recommendations. It usually goes by what they have listed in their catalog and PLA database. For example, Intro to Marketing is listed as LL by ACE, but TESC gives UL credit. Organizational Behavior is also listed as LL by ACE, but TESC gives UL credit for that too. I couldn't find a match for World Conflicts in the PLA database, but maybe my search skills were off that day.

I'll eventually post these in the degree forum Wiki, but I feel like they'll get lost there too. I don't know if this sounds right, but people should look at these plans first so that they can know all of their options. If I were to post the tests I used for my Social Science degree, I would only be showing people a limited number of options. Maybe all of the psychology tests I took aren't right for them and they would be better off taking anthropology and history tests. It would be much easier to just make this thread a sticky. There is just too much to wade through in the Wiki.

To Centurionpizza:
I didn't do all of the general education requirements, only the ones that are specific to those degrees. It's easy to fill in the rest by picking the tests listed in the social science, humanities, and natural science/mathematics degree plans. All that's left is English Comp and there are a few test and Straighterline options for that. The reason why I did not list all of the general education requirements is because I would have to list all of the testing/Straighterline options, which would make a huge and, probably, confusing document. The Degree Plans on the Degree Forum Wiki are nice, but these are mostly personalized and have one option listed for each requirement. Someone might have felt comfortable using political science to fulfill a social science requirement, but someone else might feel more comfortable using sociology based on their background. It's nice for people to know all of their options instead of following someone's personalized plan that is also often based on previous courses taken and transferred.

TESC would most likely give humanities credit for the language exam. Those will either go in general education or free electives if you've already filled the general education requirements. They can't go anywhere else for the BSBA in General Management.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
centurionpizza Wrote:First I want to say thank you to the op for the time they put into creating this thread, it was very helpful. I found a degree plan for BSBA in General Management and wanted to make sure it is correct. It seems like it lines up with what is posted in this thread, but this thread does not have the general education listed.

I also had a question about my language courses that I have taken. I took the NYU proficiency exam and earned 12 points. Can this apply toward my humanities or any other part of my degree plan? My goal is to go on and get a MBA in International Business from a well known organization in the future.

I am going in circles researching all of this and it seems time for studying is slipping away lol. I would love to get started and your help is greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I noticed some mistakes in your degree plan. You have DSST Intro to World Religions listed for humanities and general education electives. You can only use it once. I don't think Here's to Your Health is counted as a general education elective. Someone else will probably have better information on that. Unless you really want to take the TESC courses, there are test/Straighterline options for the courses you've planned. I know it's confusing, but TESC accepts Straighterline Accounting II as Managerial Accounting. Straighterline Managerial Accounting is transcribed as Cost Accounting (UL), so it won't fulfill your Managerial Accounting requirement. You can use free FEMAs for free electives.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Sanantone,

Regarding the BA in Psychology, on the website under this specific program it states 'Courses transferred to Thomas Edison State College are equated to the following levels: 100, 200, 300 or 400. A minimum of 18 credits equating to 300 or 400 are required.' , which I know youre aware of. I always interpreted this to mean that it applied to the Psych Electives. However, youre interpretation is that it applies to the entire Area of Study section. Have you clarified that with the school itself? It really could be more clear.

Also,with the new LA Capstone requirement, it really is not possible to completely test out of the BA in Psych degree, is that right? Or do you know of a course that could taken in place of that capstone??

Thanks!
Does anyone have a handle on which Ohio University exams are still available? I can't tell from their website and I've got people I've told about them who are pretty confused right now about how they are going to largely test out of a nat sci& math degree with TESC.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Degrees and Middle East Countries laoshijeff 5 2,754 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Last Post: teacher2
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,815 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Finance by test out clarkin16 5 1,852 08-10-2018, 12:37 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  California teaching credential w/ a test-out degree 12save 3 1,576 08-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Last Post: kevinmane
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,149 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 4,682 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,632 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Thumbs Up TEST ASBA yayowonder 4 1,745 07-16-2018, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Mab81
  TESU MULTPLE DEGREES docmarvin 24 4,606 06-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: docmarvin
  Where can you find UL credit in STEM areas to test out of for credit miah 8 2,104 06-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore