Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Human growth and development (CLEP EXAM)
Im really afraid in taking this test, which covers a lot of information. Im not sure where to start studying for this exam. Please if you took the human growth and development test can you help me.
I took that about a month ago. I had previously taken the intro soc and the intro psych. I also had just taken a theories of personality course. I found the human growth and dev clep to be a bit harder than the intro soc and psych...and alot of the content from my personality class was on it too...so having just had that helped alot. Other than the prepping I had already done for the previous cleps, the only thing I used to prep for it was the clep study guide from REA. I got a 63 on it. The clep study guide is really good and probably has about everything you need in it but it is alot of information especially if your starting from scratch. Dont know if I helped any...just my two cents. Good luck!
I am in the same boat as you. I have never taken a CLEP and for whatever reason decided I wanted to take this one first and follow with Intro to Sociology and Intro to Psychology. Based on the other response you got I may opt to do psych and sociology first. I haven't ordered the study book just yet as my adademic counselor is verifying I am clear to take it so I don't duplicate anything I have already taken a class on.
You'll have to keep me posted if you are about to take it. I imagine I will get the material in the next week or however long it takes to ship and take the test within a month.
Hi,

I took it not too long ago. I agree with everyone else: go take intro to psyc & intro to socio first. I found REA's Best Test Prep and Kathleen Berger's "The Developing Person through the Life Span" very helpful. You might be able to find the latter at the library. Check out freeclepprep.com for more resources--I used it a lot.
I decided to take all three CLEP "psych" tests for 9 lower level credits - I had NO prior knowledge of psychology and had not been in school for 20+ years. I started with Intro to Psychology to get an overall base of knowledge to build upon, then took HG & D, then Intro to Ed Psych.

I must say HG & D was the most difficult for me. I used the REA Guide, CLEP 2011 Study Guide, the textbook recommended in the iStudySmart course( I use their recommended textbooks for all the CLEP tests,) Peterson's tests, the Internet and IC (I'm not great with the IC flashcard format - my brain just doesn't like fill-in-the-blanks, but it works fantastically for many,) and the IC specific test Forum (very, very helpful!!).

I studied Intro Psych for about 4+ months (I'm incredibly slow but thorough!), HG & D for 2 months, Intro to Ed Psych for 1 month - receiving a 75, 69, 72 respectively.
Ok so I'm taking this exam in three weeks. Took CLep Intro to Psych two weeks agoo and miss passing by 2 points (48) any additonal suggestions?
What have you been using to study? Intro to Psychology is supposed to be one of the easiest exams. Human Growth and Development will be harder.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
It's one of the more irritating Psych exams (along with Research Methods). Whoever wrote the HG&D exam apparently has an unhealthy obsession with Piaget, so learn everything about his ideas and theories. Of course there will be some Erikson, Kohlberg and the other stage theorists too. But Piaget gets the spotlight.

You need a good textbook too, I'll look at mine when I get home and tell you the name of it. Go through the Petersons test and the IC stuff and make sure you have it WELL down. Also, know a fair bit about aging and gerontology s there's a large portion on that. Know Kubler-Ross's steps (remember the acronym DABDA)
BA Psychology - TESC

CLEP Biology - 56
CLEP Human Growth and Development - 56
CLEP College Mathematics - 54
CLEP Educational Psychology - 58
CLEP Social Sciences and History - 70
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 59
ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -B
ECE Research Methods in Psychology - B
DSST Substance Abuse - 429
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling - 53
DSST Intro to World Religion - 458
Thank you for your feedback, I will awiat your update with regards to the textbook.
Just getting my studing underway for this exam. I will be using The Clep Human Growth and Development Exam guide, IC Lfe Span Flash Cards and Education Portal Psychology videos (cognitve learning). I will lookup the free study sources you stated above. Thank you for the feedback.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,258 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Universitat Oberta de Catalunya - Bachelor's degree in Software Development nyvrem 5 1,581 05-16-2023, 05:46 PM
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 954 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1
  Having a growth mindset vs fixed mindset LevelUP 0 353 04-11-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 674 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,847 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  Excelsior Professional Development Courses (Non-Credit) BBryant165 5 1,560 08-29-2022, 11:05 PM
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Intel’s 12th Gen CPU can’t handle the Bar exam bluebooger 3 913 07-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: LevelUP