Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Human growth and development (CLEP EXAM)
RE: CLEP Exam 2018

Hi all, I just wanted to "update" this thread for this exam.  I just took the Human Growth & Dev exam.  My advice is study as many materials as you can find for as long as you can if you want to be sure to pass.  I was blown away by the questions on the exam.  Let me just say, I already have a masters degree in psychology but since my credits were more than 5 years old my silly college required me to either CLEP or take a new course. The overall pass rate for this exam is listed at 69% but something tells me that is either old or about to change, because the test I took was super challenging. Regardless, we know 30% of you will fail, so don’t be overconfident…I only got a 55 (just barely passed). 
Here are my takeaways...

The official CLEP practice Test
Do not consider this as test prep, because only about 2-3 questions out of 90 were very similar to the practice test. However, it is a good gauge of your pass fail ability. If you take this test and ACE it, grats you are a unicorn and will most surely pass the actual test.  However, I fed into some rumors that the practice test is harder than the real thing and that if you do well on it, you will do better on the real test. DO NOT BELIEVE THIS.  The questions were way less straight forward, and way more subjective.  It is harder.        

Flash Cards
I studied all of the quizlett.com, cram.com, and other flash cards I could find.  These are great but they only really give you straight-forward definitions of terminology and concepts.  I would estimate that only about 20% of the questions were like this.  The rest were scenario based, and I was completely unprepared for this.  It was more like being interviewed for a psychology job. 

Example question below (I made this up, but is similar). 
“Jane and Jill bring their kids to the park on a regular basis.  Jane is an involved mother who may seem to hover over her child while Jill is much more relaxed.  The children playing on the playground are being rough with each other.  Jill does not seem to mind too much and is on her cell phone, while the other mother is telling her child to stop, and explains why. Which concept is most applicable here for one of the parents?”

A)   Concrete Stage Theory
B)   Authoritive
C)   Positive Reinforcement
D)  Proper Parenting Technique

Keep in mind you have 1 minute per question and the majority of questions were just like the above. 

My advice, in addition to flash cards and practice tests, find a few modern text books on Human Growth and Development, drink lots of coffee, read them front to back.  Not only do you need to understand basic concepts, you will need to run scenarios in your head and dodge answers which may seem obvious, but they are not. 

Good Luck. 

I'm glad I did not get your test. I took this one July 2nd with only about 4 days of studying and going over Instacert flashcards. I did feel unprepared going in and I knew I was rushing it, but I had a free afternoon and figured I'd try it. I Snuckout with a 52......
(07-07-2018, 04:20 PM)Jimmy999 Wrote: I'm glad I did not get your test.   I took this one July 2nd with only about 4 days of studying and going over Instacert flashcards.   I did feel unprepared going in and I knew I was rushing it, but I had a free afternoon and figured I'd try it.    I Snuckout with a 52......

Yeah, I am just hoping my college accepts my score.  I already made up my mind, if they don't, I will just take the course later.  Studying for a higher score is not an option while working and taking too other classes, especially with my 43 year old brain.  Honesly, I know I can ace a college course, and a passing C on a CLEP is worth an A or B in a full course in my opinion because at least with a course you know what to study for and can do much better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes icecom3's post:
  • cookderosa
Why wouldn't they take your score? Im 10 for 10 pn cleps now with my 43 yr old brain.....all at zero cost......you should be fine
(07-08-2018, 07:50 PM)Jimmy999 Wrote: Why wouldn't they take your score?   Im 10 for 10 pn cleps now with my 43 yr old brain.....all at zero cost......you should be fine

some colleges require a higher score than ACE recommended
(07-09-2018, 10:23 AM)icecom3 Wrote:
(07-08-2018, 07:50 PM)Jimmy999 Wrote: Why wouldn't they take your score?   Im 10 for 10 pn cleps now with my 43 yr old brain.....all at zero cost......you should be fine

some colleges require a higher score than ACE recommended

You should always find this out BEFORE taking an exam.  Most schools post their requirements somewhere, you need to contact them and find out which exams they'll take (if any), what the score needs to be, and where it will apply.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
HG&D was my first CLEP ever, and was my highest score. In my opinion, being a grown woman with children was a HUGE advantage for this exam. Questions about growth, pregnancy, lactation, infant and toddler development not to mention things like menopause and aging populations. This exam is a great one for middle aged adults in my opinion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,254 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 505 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Universitat Oberta de Catalunya - Bachelor's degree in Software Development nyvrem 5 1,573 05-16-2023, 05:46 PM
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 950 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1
  Having a growth mindset vs fixed mindset LevelUP 0 348 04-11-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 672 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,841 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  Excelsior Professional Development Courses (Non-Credit) BBryant165 5 1,552 08-29-2022, 11:05 PM
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 847 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Intel’s 12th Gen CPU can’t handle the Bar exam bluebooger 3 912 07-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: LevelUP