Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I got into Georgia Tech's Masters in Computer Science - Online (OMSCS)!
Just wanted to post here for anyone else that went the TESU route and is wondering about their grad school prospects. The OMSCS degree is not distinguished from their on campus masters, so it's the same top ten ranked program, but they are less selective than most other similarly ranked offerings since they can scale it much more easily online, and it only costs about $8k.

As for my background, I graduated from TESU in 2019 with a BSBA - CIS degree. I took several CS courses (intro to CS, database admin, networks, network security, systems analysis, software engineering). My day job has gradually shifted more towards devops and programming, and I started thinking a CS degree would actually help me long term. I looked into getting a second bachelors, like WGU's, but it just didn't seem worth it since I already had a similar degree, but I did want a masters and CS seemed like the way to go. I was worried I wouldn't get in becuase I didn't have a CS undergrad or years of experience as a developer, and also most of my courses were pass/fail. Only my capstone was graded but I did get a 4.0 out of that course. I also was able to get a recommendation from that professor because I had discussed it with him at the end of the course and he happened to remember me and came through. 

To round out my application, I took a free Object Oriented programming MOOC (from U of Helsinki) and the Stanford Algorithms course on Coursera. These both had certifications so I could add them to the application even though they're not valued as highly as for credit courses. I also knocked out the Calculus CLEP and included that along with a bunch of my IT certifications (CCNA, MCSA, etc.) in my additional document section of the app. I explained my experience as a network engineer and all the programming/automation I've done over the last few years, and also had a very solid plan for what I wanted out of the program, so I guess it was enough because I've been admitted! I half expected to get denied and have to do some CS pre-reqs at a community college and try again, so this was a nice surprise.

As far as what I'd do differently if I was starting over with TESU, I think I would've gone for the CS degree instead of CIS. There weren't nearly as many CS options when I was doing it as there are now, and it would've been a lot more expensive. I did like a lot of the sociology and management courses, but I could've fit those in the CS degree and skipped the accounting stuff. Also, if you plan to pursue CS at any level after graduating, PLEASE take at least a Data Structures course and Discrete Math along with the intro to programming. If you can manage, Linear Algebra and something in Computer Architecture/Organization will server your future studies well too. Those are the main prereqs that you're definitely going to need for future courses.

It's looking like in a few years I'll have an MS for less thank 10k to go along with my 4k bachelors. For those wondering if TESU or similar schools are worth it, it's led to a better job and now a great graduate opportunity for me, so if you play your cards right it can be a great option.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
[-] The following 15 users Like camjenks's post:
  • AwardTour, davewill, eriehiker, Flelm, jch, lucillegyl, MNomadic, MrBossmanJr, neutrino, nomaduser, Pikachu, rachel83az, robertsted, StudentOLife, TINASAM
Congrats! Smile

[-] The following 2 users Like Ideas's post:
  • camjenks, nomaduser
Congrats! I want to apply to that program as well.

However, I'm a little concerned with its minimum 2 years attendance requirement
(04-19-2021, 08:18 PM)nomaduser Wrote: Congrats! I want to apply to that program as well.

However, I'm a little concerned with its minimum 2 years attendance requirement

It's supposedly a really rigorous program so a lot of people take 3 years to complete it while working full time. Some of the courses take 20-30 hours a week. I plan to take my time and just do 1 course at a time to try to enjoy it and not get burnt out. Even having it "in progress" on my resume should help me out with jobs opportunities/salary negotiations. But I think the fastest you can do it is like 5 semesters because you can only take 2 at a time at first.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
[-] The following 2 users Like camjenks's post:
  • davewill, Pikachu
Maybe u can create thread on it and post about your journey? It will definitely help many here
[-] The following 2 users Like Cofffeee's post:
  • SteveFoerster, StudentOLife
Congrats! I am waiting on a decision for their Analytics program.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
Congrats, fellow Yellow Jacket!

I'm in the last couple weeks of my final term, all the heavy lifting is done. Degree to be awarded in early may.

Hope you enjoy your journey.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • MrBossmanJr, rachel83az, StudentOLife
(04-19-2021, 08:53 PM)jsd Wrote: Congrats, fellow Yellow Jacket!

I'm in the last couple weeks of my final term, all the heavy lifting is done. Degree to be awarded in early may.

Hope you enjoy your journey.
Good job I am still taking my mba. It is not easy to work full time and completing your master degree.

Sent from my phone using DegreeForum.net mobile app
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

That's a great program. Congratulations!!
Congratulations!!! I'm looking forward to applying to that program as soon as I finish at TESU. Thank you for sharing!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 276 Yesterday, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 99 Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 291 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 264 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,094 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 2,359 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,268 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,973 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean