Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was interviewed about Straighterline by the New York Times
Andrew from Straighterline emailed me and asked if I would be interested in doing an interview with a NYT reporter about my experience with Straighterline.
I told him I would love to and the reporter got in contact with me two days ago.
She asked my age, occupation and which classes I took at SL. She also wanted to know why I was taking the courses and I told her it was for degree completion at TESC.
She was surprised that I could finish Accounting I&II and Business Comm in a month and asked how many hours I worked on it. I told her that I had already studied for Accounting I prior to taking the course and that pre-studying is a great way to keep costs low as a SL student. I said that a student trying to do it "on the cheap" could theoretically finish 6 courses in one month by pre-studying months beforehand. She doubted that would be possible for most students.

She asked me if the quality was as good as a normal college and I said the course content is excellent with online McGraw Hill resources and very accessible textbooks. I told her that the format was much better than traditional college courses for me since I like to work at my own pace in the comfort of my own home. I said that I do not like working in groups and having to rely on other people to complete assignments so the format is perfect for me.

I think her main emphasis for her story was the $999 first year of college deal. She said that Andrew had given her references for many students who were using SL.com courses at their home school to get around tough classes or classes they just don't feel like taking at home.

She was familiar with the Big3 and CLEP, DSST etc. I told her that SL was part of the picture for me in completing my degree and that I learned about SL from degreeforum.net. I encouraged her to go to this site and do some research because there is a lot of information about SL.com here.

It was an interesting conversation and I think it was eye opening for her. I have no idea when the story will be published. I didn't ask, but I will keep an eye out for it and post a link when it is published.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Nice. Will be interested in seeing how the story actually comes out.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and a compass and never knows where he may cast" - Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

"The shortest distance between two points is usually under repair." - Anonymous

[SIZE="1"]CLEP/DSST/ACE credits (39), Total costs $1,383
Principles of Management (71), Principles of Supervision (446), Principles of Marketing (76), Management Information Systems (466), Human Resources Management (67), Intro to Computing (465), Environment & Humanity (69), Technical Writing (65), Intro to Business Law (75), Business Law II (80), Principles of Microeconomics (70), American Government (69), Straighterline Accounting II (90%)

[/SIZE]
Very cool!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Tell us when the articles comes out. I would really love to read it.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
alleycat Wrote:Tell us when the articles comes out. I would really love to read it.
+1 for me also.
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits
that's great! I'd love to read it too.

She knew what the "big 3" were? I wonder how, that's a "pet name" of sorts, I'm not 100% sure that any of the "big 3" even know that anyone calls them that?
ryoder Wrote:She doubted that would be possible for most students.

I think she's right. People who take initiative to self-study and prepare are exceptional and ryoder sets a particularly high bar.

Please post a link to the article when it's published. I look forward to reading it!

Sandra
The article just hit the NYT site today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/educat...aight.html
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:The article just hit the NYT site today.

AWESOME!!! So cool Mr. Yoder Wink Thanks for posting!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
ryoder Wrote:The article just hit the NYT site today.

Great article. What you said below sums it up perfectly.
ryoder Wrote:“Being in a class, in a group, means you can only go as fast as the slowest person. So for me, Straighterline was a great way to go.”
That is real issue for people I think. Everyone at B&Ms are forced into the cookie cutter class that doesn't always fit their learning style.
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why I’m Leaving New York City. More than half a million people left New York in 2022 LevelUP 25 674 04-18-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  New York Governor Kathy Hochul admits that the $355 million Trump verdict was a sham LevelUP 11 1,401 02-23-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  The Fastest Way to Upgrade Your Lifestyle (In Uncertain Times) Kal Di 6 847 02-03-2022, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  New York May Offer Free Tuition Soon yb1 23 5,776 01-05-2019, 02:36 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ISO Straighterline Books cookderosa 4 1,308 12-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Straighterline spammer / policy change needed dmjacobsen 10 2,102 10-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  Straighterline negative reivews? TESUAbroad 11 2,255 09-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Last Post: jlearn25
  Straighterline slightly frustrating.. TESUAbroad 19 3,830 09-23-2016, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Flelm
  Something cool (a story) from Straighterline rebel100 2 1,055 03-30-2016, 07:22 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Inspirational Humans of New York story Mamasaphire 4 1,038 03-20-2016, 12:32 PM
Last Post: SuzanneD