Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IT and Privacy Pro Tests
Hey all,

I have been trying to figure out which tests I should pass before applying to the big 3 plus WGU. So I was hoping some of you would make some recommendations...

I went to school in the 90s and received an AA and an AS. I also have an extra 60 upper or graduate lever credits at CSUSM. So around 200 semester units total. Mostly in history.

I have the following certifications in the last 5 years:

Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure
Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert: Private Cloud
ISACA CISM
IAPP CIPT
IAPP CIPP/E

In the next two months I could grab CISA and CISSP. Would they help me? And has anyone gotten credit for IAPP exams?

What would you recommend as a plan? My current thought is to apply to TESU, COSC and WGU and figure out which is the fastest towards completion.

Thank everyone!
What type degree are you looking to get? Are you looking at a specific area (tech?) or the fastest to check a box (BALS)?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(02-10-2019, 12:32 PM)allvia Wrote: What type degree are you looking to get? Are you looking at a specific area (tech?) or the fastest to check a box (BALS)?

Fastest to check a box.
For a technical/IT degree, WGU is going to be your best bet. Here are the certs that WGU will accpet, I didn't see IAPP on there, though. Your MS, ISACA, and (ISC)² certs would all come in though:

https://www.wgu.edu/admissions/transfers...ations.htm

You mentioned you have mostly history credits, and if you want to continue on that path, then TESU BA History will likely be your best bet (especially if you have a Historical Methods/Historiography course already). Excelsior has a BS in History as well, COSC doesn't have any History options.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(02-10-2019, 12:42 PM)jsd Wrote: For a technical/IT degree, WGU is going to be your best bet. Here are the certs that WGU will accpet, I didn't see IAPP on there, though. Your MS, ISACA, and (ISC)² certs would all come in though:

https://www.wgu.edu/admissions/transfers...ations.htm

You mentioned you have mostly history credits, and if you want to continue on that path, then TESU BA History will likely be your best bet (especially if you have a Historical Methods/Historiography course already). Excelsior has a BS in Science as well, COSC doesn't have any History options.

That's interesting. I do have a historical methods course.
In that case, a BA in History should be very achievable for you through TESU. Historical methods is the only course in that degree that isn't available through alternative methods. Not that you necessarily should pursue that option, but it would be a very easy one to take advantage of credits you have, since you have a lot of history ones.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
You might want to go ahead and apply to TESU and send them your transcripts to see how they apply to the history or another degree. Also, you could post all your credits here and we could help you plan out a degree.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I would probably do 2 things:
1) Apply to TESU as a History Major
2) Apply to WGU for a BSIT in Cloud & Systems Administration

See which will get you the better deal. TESU is going to cost a minimum of $4,450 for the cornerstone, capstone, and residency waiver; this does not include any additional courses you have to take to finish your requirements. WGU is going to cost $3,520 for a single term, and $7,040 for 2 terms. I would probably try to figure out the best way to bring in enough courses to make it a 1-term deal (so you will get a waiver for your GE's, you just need to figure out which courses you can do inexpensively and easily from the major, to get down to 30 credits remaining).

I'm going to guess that WGU will be your better deal.

If you post your credits, we can help you figure it out though.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-10-2019, 07:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would probably do 2 things:
1) Apply to TESU as a History Major
2) Apply to WGU for a BSIT in Cloud & Systems Administration

See which will get you the better deal. TESU is going to cost a minimum of $4,450 for the cornerstone, capstone, and residency waiver; this does not include any additional courses you have to take to finish your requirements. WGU is going to cost $3,520 for a single term, and $7,040 for 2 terms. I would probably try to figure out the best way to bring in enough courses to make it a 1-term deal (so you will get a waiver for your GE's, you just need to figure out which courses you can do inexpensively and easily from the major, to get down to 30 credits remaining).

I'm going to guess that WGU will be your better deal.

If you post your credits, we can help you figure it out though.

I would agree that WGU is probably your best option, although I don't agree BSIT Cloud should be your only consideration. Have a look at the transfer guides for all the WGU IT degrees and see which one lines up the best for you.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Should I finish my CISA and CISSP first?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GRE Subject Tests Old Rusty Pipe 185 95,151 11-25-2021, 09:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az