Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imagine if he had known about CLEP.....
Duke Grad Student Secretly Lived In a Van to Escape Loan Debt - Yahoo! Finance

Pretty cool story about a guy that lived out of a van in order to reduce the cost of grad school. $30K+ in debt from Undergrad could have been cut considerably if he had known about CBE. UB takes at least some CLEP UB Undergraduate Catalog 2013-2014: College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

I wonder how his life might have been changed if he knocked out just 30 credits via CBE....$7000 or so?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:I wonder how his life might have been changed if he knocked out just 30 credits via CBE....$7000 or so?
He might have missed out on living the peripatetic way he apparently likes to. His degrees are not in "hobology," though. His undergrad degree is in English and History (hence no employment offers) and he now has a Master's in Liberal Studies. I think it's significant that since graduation, he's been writing a second book -- on his six-month hike along the Keystone pipeline route. Vagabond scholars have been with us since the Middle Ages. That's OK by me...

"When I first thought to hobo'in, hobo'in,
I took a freight train to be my friend, oh Lord
You know I hobo'd, hobo'd, hobo'd, hobo'd,
Hobo'd a long, long way from home, oh Lord"

(Hobo Blues - John Lee Hooker)

Johann
It used to be that people who didn't go to college ended up living in a van down by the river.
Matt Foley I live in a van down by the river - YouTube
rebel100 Wrote:Pretty cool story about a guy that lived out of a van in order to reduce the cost of grad school.

I wonder how his life might have been changed if he knocked out just 30 credits via CBE....$7000 or so?

The last part of the story was:

"So, where is he now? Ken still resides in North Carolina, where he is working on a second book about his six-month hike along the Keystone Pipeline. (And yes, he still owns that van)"

BUT..........................Does he still live IN it?????????????????
TESTS PASSED

Intro to Law Enforcement (70) DSST, Criminal Justice (461) DSST, US History 1 (71) CLEP, US History 2 (66) CLEP, Civil War & Reconstruction (67) DSST
Business Ethics & Society (447) DSST, Principles of Management (65) CLEP, Principles of Supervision (450) DSST, Organizational Behavior (60) DSST
Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (56) DSST, Intro to World Religions (469) DSST, Management Info Systems (448) DSST, Prin of MACROeconomics (63)
Prin of MICROeconomics (64) CLEP, Labor Relations (A) ECE, HR Management (B) ECE, Principles of Financial Accounting(65) DSST, Prin of Finance (408) Money and Banking (52) DSST
I think i could be happy living on a sailboat or in a small cabin......except for air conditioning......gotta have air conditioning.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Duke Grad Student Secretly Lived In a Van to Escape Loan Debt - Yahoo! Finance

Pretty cool story about a guy that lived out of a van in order to reduce the cost of grad school. $30K+ in debt from Undergrad could have been cut considerably if he had known about CBE. UB takes at least some CLEP UB Undergraduate Catalog 2013-2014: College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Of course, I HAD to check. Duke doesn't award credit for CLEP. (but he could have used AP, they'll take that)
Duke University | Trinity College of Arts & Sciences : Academic requirements
Yes, but he did his undergrad at U of Buffallo. You didn't follow my links did u?! Smile
AS in EMS August 2010

rebel100 Wrote:Yes, but he did his undergrad at U of Buffallo. You didn't follow my links did u?! Smile

LOL! No, because I'd already read the story Smile
(Clearly, I didn't pay close enough attention!!!)
Well I got the Kindle version of his book after reading this article. He's a pretty good writer so far (I'm at Ch 4 now) and I'm enjoying it. I like stories of folks who break convention and find unusual ways to tackle problems successfully. No doubt the 4 bucks I paid for this e-book contributes a paltry sum to his financial well-being but it's a cheap form of entertainment for me and might inspire some ideas for my own situations. Um...let me clarify though that I have zero desire to emulate him by going off to the wilds of Alaska! Still, I find his approach to paying of his debts to be unique from what I've read so far and can respect him for it.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
rebel100 Wrote:I think i could be happy living on a sailboat or in a small cabin......except for air conditioning......gotta have air conditioning.

Build your small cabin in New Hampshire and air conditioning is something you may be able to live without. You would have to take your sailboat out of the water in the winter. A small price to pay for no income tax and very low sales tax.

Here is a link if you don't believe me!
New Hampshire (NH) Sales Tax Rates by City
TESTS PASSED

Intro to Law Enforcement (70) DSST, Criminal Justice (461) DSST, US History 1 (71) CLEP, US History 2 (66) CLEP, Civil War & Reconstruction (67) DSST
Business Ethics & Society (447) DSST, Principles of Management (65) CLEP, Principles of Supervision (450) DSST, Organizational Behavior (60) DSST
Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (56) DSST, Intro to World Religions (469) DSST, Management Info Systems (448) DSST, Prin of MACROeconomics (63)
Prin of MICROeconomics (64) CLEP, Labor Relations (A) ECE, HR Management (B) ECE, Principles of Financial Accounting(65) DSST, Prin of Finance (408) Money and Banking (52) DSST

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Can I Make An Entire College Degree Out Of CLEP Credits?” jmeitrem 9 2,598 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Is there a time limit when completing your clep test? Clarebugg 12 3,892 12-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Last Post: desireelws50
  Organizing my CLEP stuff jmeitrem 7 1,573 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Last Post: alzee
  Harvard Extension accepts ACE and CLEP rebel100 7 2,326 06-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Missing CLEP tests ryoder 4 966 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  CLEP or DSST? Publius 12 1,568 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  How do you know about CLEP? sgloer 79 13,233 09-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Last Post: submissiongrappler
  I'm giving a speech today about CLEP Bibby 3 1,132 07-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Bibby
  A Clep Hater jmichelle79 37 4,266 05-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  FYI for PMPs - CLEP/DSSTs that count as Cert PDUs lwmcc 1 1,066 12-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Last Post: julianclmb1