Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Initial Questions About BA History (T
Just want to jump in and add a second voice to confirm that what natshar is saying is correct
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • natshar
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up.

Quick question about pursuing an associate degree all with the BA, perhaps the ASNSM Math and/or Biology. How do the credits interact between the BA you are pursuing and the associate degree? For example, the math area of study for the ASNSM requires 16 credits. Does this mean once I meet the general ed requirements, I can simply take 16 math credits that will account for elective credit in the BA and area of study credits in the ASNSM?

Also, I mentioned biology because there seems to be a ton of Biology classes available via CLEP/SDC/SL that look quite interesting. Does anyone have any experience with these? Math and science are very important to me, second only to History/English, so it seems either (or both) of these associate degree options might be viable for me.
Yeah, you can use the math credits from the ASNSM anywhere you want to in the BA (they'll fit neatly into your Gen Ed electives).

The only difficulty with the ASNSM-Biology is getting the Bio 2 Lab. As far as I know, there's no alternative credit provider that has this.
Completed:

Up Next:

• historicalarsonist
(08-17-2019, 10:18 AM)historicalarsonist Wrote: Awesome, thanks for clearing that up.

Quick question about pursuing an associate degree all with the BA, perhaps the ASNSM Math and/or Biology. How do the credits interact between the BA you are pursuing and the associate degree? For example, the math area of study for the ASNSM requires 16 credits. Does this mean once I meet the general ed requirements, I can simply take 16 math credits that will account for elective credit in the BA and area of study credits in the ASNSM?

Also, I mentioned biology because there seems to be a ton of Biology classes available via CLEP/SDC/SL that look quite interesting. Does anyone have any experience with these? Math and science are very important to me, second only to History/English, so it seems either (or both) of these associate degree options might be viable for me.
That is exactly what that means. Yes many people get an BA and an Associates for only 120 credits and don't need more courses. The thing that can't overlap is the Area of Study but since History and Math don't overlap at all you good. Math courses can count towards your GE electives or free electives. So if you took math and Computer science courses those would fill your gen ed electives and free electives as well as meet your associates degree requirement. Biology is another associates degree TESU offers however it requires bio 1 and 2 with labs. The labs are expensive and only labs can be a pain to deal with. And there is no known alternative source of bio II lab. So youd have to take through CC (online or in person). Also there aren't as many alternatives biology courses as there are math ones. This is why the math and Computer science are more common to earn on this fourm over bio. If you want to do an Associates in Biology you can, you are only two areas of study for asnsm. So out of computer science, math and biology pick two.

Even if you did the asnsm in both math and Computer science you would still have electives slots leftover. Both AOS of the degrees are 16 credits each or 32 total. For your BA you have 27 credits free electives and 17-20 credits GE electives. So you'd have open spots and with those you could take biology or more math and science if you wanted to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • historicalarsonist
(08-17-2019, 11:10 AM)natshar Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 10:18 AM)historicalarsonist Wrote: Awesome, thanks for clearing that up.

That is exactly what that means. Yes many people get an BA and an Associates for only 120 credits and don't need more courses. The thing that can't overlap is the Area of Study but since History and Math don't overlap at all you good. Math courses can count towards your GE electives or free electives. So if you took math and Computer science courses those would fill your gen ed electives and free electives as well as meet your associates degree requirement. Biology is another associates degree TESU offers however it requires bio 1 and 2 with labs. The labs are expensive and only labs can be a pain to deal with. And there is no known alternative source of bio II lab. So youd have to take through CC (online or in person). Also there aren't as many alternatives biology courses as there are math ones. This is why the math and Computer science are more common to earn on this fourm over bio. If you want to do an Associates in Biology you can, you are only two areas of study for asnsm. So out of computer science, math and biology pick two.

Even if you did the asnsm in both math and Computer science you would still have electives slots leftover. Both AOS of the degrees are 16 credits each or 32 total. For your BA you have 27 credits free electives and 17-20 credits GE electives. So you'd have open spots and with those you could take biology or more math and science if you wanted to.

Agree with the advice by natshar, but want to note that A. You wouldn't have to do a Bio I lab (actually, you wouldn't have to do Bio I at all, come to think of it, though I'm not sure why you wouldn't), just a Bio II lab, and B. While there are a lot fewer bio classes than math, there are still plenty to fill the degree (save for the Bio II lab). On SDC alone, you have 22 potential credits, by my count.
Completed:

Up Next:

• historicalarsonist
Thanks, you guys are the best. Yeah, it looks like I overlooked the "with lab" part of the Biology II requirement because otherwise, it looks like the CLEP Biology would have done the trick (equivalent to Biology I & II).

Just to clarify, you mentioned that bio 1 & 2 both need lab, but I only seen bio 2 lab listed on the requirements for that degree. Is that another inaccuracy on TESU or is bio 1 lab a requirement for bio 2 lab? Regardless, it looks like bio 1 lab is available from at least two sources. With regards to fulfilling the bio 2 w/ lab requirement, what if I were to take this class as part of the 16 credits I take my final term at TESU? As of right now, I have 7 credits open to fill when the time comes. Would that seem to alleviate the only roadblock to the ASNSM in Biology?

Edit: Upon further research, I'm now fairly certain TESU actually does not offer the Bio 2 w/ lab.

And I hear what you are saying about computer science, I'm just a little bit apprehensive and weighing my other options. I've been basically working in the field of computer science for the past ten years (all of my adult life), and I'm pursuing this degree as a part of my plan to transition completely out of the world of computers. Not because I don't think it's a great field, it absolutely is. It's just not a great match for my personality. So I'm not sure if it makes a lot of sense to take classes I have no inherent interest in. I would obviously excel at them, but I do feel it would be borderline mind-numbingly boring. I wouldn't be able to just test out immediately because I don't work in academic programming languages or networking, which seems to make up the majority of the subjects available, so I'm stuck in a sort of grey area where I would need to actually learn some portion of the stuff (that I would probably never use again).

(08-17-2019, 11:21 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 11:10 AM)natshar Wrote:

Agree with the advice by natshar, but want to note that A. You wouldn't have to do a Bio I lab (actually, you wouldn't have to do Bio I at all, come to think of it, though I'm not sure why you wouldn't), just a Bio II lab, and B. While there are a lot fewer bio classes than math, there are still plenty to fill the degree (save for the Bio II lab). On SDC alone, you have 22 potential credits, by my count.

Okay yeah, I just posted about the bio 1 lab and whether or not it's a requirement - didn't see it on the degree page, but wanted to get a consensus on that. Thanks a ton. Are you aware of whether or not TESU themselves offer Biology II w/ lab? I can't seem to find anything in the undergraduate course catalog.
I looked in the course catalog when I was making my response (because I was going to suggest doing the Bio 2 lab as your 1 credit course instead of Jane Austen), but it doesn't look like they do offer it. I'm going to be looking at some course registration related stuff for myself later today, and if I remember I'll check to see if that class is listed. My guess is if it's not in the catalog, they don't offer it
Completed:

Up Next:

• historicalarsonist
Even though bio 1 lab isn't required I'm not sure if you would be able to take the bio II lab with taking bio I lab first (or at least bio I). This could also be a problem as most schools have pre res and won't just let you take to bio II.

Also for computer science 10 of the 16 credits can be done for free via TEEX. So I would at least try the TEEX courses and see what you think because they won't cost you anything. Computer science is a cheaper option to pursue than biology.
  • historicalarsonist
(08-17-2019, 12:14 PM)natshar Wrote: Even though bio 1 lab isn't required I'm not sure if you would be able to take the bio II lab with taking bio I lab first (or at least bio I). This could also be a problem as most schools have pre res and won't just let you take to bio II.

Also for computer science 10 of the 16 credits can be done for free via TEEX. So I would at least try the TEEX courses and see what you think because they won't cost you anything. Computer science is a cheaper option to pursue than biology.

Yeah, considering the difficulties with obtaining the bio II lab, I am definitely considering going the computer science route as a compromise despite not being overly excited about it. Also, how do I locate the courses specifically that transfer to TESU on the TEEX website? I followed a link on the wiki that is now dead and can't seem to find anything that links to a source other than the TEEX home page, and their site seems absolutely massive. Thanks.
(08-17-2019, 02:13 PM)historicalarsonist Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 12:14 PM)natshar Wrote: Even though bio 1 lab isn't required I'm not sure if you would be able to take the bio II lab with taking bio I lab first (or at least bio I). This could also be a problem as most schools have pre res and won't just let you take to bio II.

Yeah, considering the difficulties with obtaining the bio II lab, I am definitely considering going the computer science route as a compromise despite not being overly excited about it. Also, how do I locate the courses specifically that transfer to TESU on the TEEX website? I followed a link on the wiki that is now dead and can't seem to find anything that links to a source other than the TEEX home page, and their site seems absolutely massive. Thanks.

Onlinedegree.com has intro to programming and that is only $9. Anything that counts as computer science for the computer science BA would count so a lot study.com programming courses. StraighterLine has a course in C++. Maybe for one of your courses for TESU could be a computer science course. I also believe the CyberSecrutiy DSST might count and there is a Network Security TECEP. I'm also not 100% all ten TEEX credits would count for computer science AOS, I'm just assuming they do, I know other people have gotten them all to count but that was when they were all only worth 6 credits. Once you have an idea of what courses you want to take I'd email TESU the plan for whatever you choose to take and get those pre-approved.

If I were you just focus on the BA history and ASNSM in math for now, so those are already mapped out. Thats enough to get started if you don't end up doing the computer science associate no big deal. You already have History mapped out. For the math associates, all you need is 12 credits in any other math courses in anything you want besides calculus and college algebra.

From personal experience, coming up with the perfect degree plan is not the same as actually working on your degree. Just get started and the rest will fall into place over time.
  • historicalarsonist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Lightbulb TESU - Course Transfer Questions mweichert 12 964 02-15-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 603 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  French international student questions about TESU BACS azuki 19 1,784 11-03-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  International students would like to ask some questions. Ron9 4 744 11-02-2023, 11:25 AM
  Study.com Transfer to TESU Questions Carnation 14 1,552 11-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  few questions about TESU sekiflying 3 415 08-20-2023, 11:13 AM
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 415 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  Two questions regarding to 1. TESU second degree and 2. bachelor to master program lylx1981 5 1,575 05-17-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Henry_Patterson
  Testing out of History & Civics and Ethical Leadership requirements? WHOASIS1 6 758 03-31-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore