Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
InstantCert Now Offers ACE Reviewed Courses
(06-27-2019, 07:55 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 02:57 PM)cookderosa Wrote: You guys don't need formal articulation agreements between InstantCert and TESU / COSC. That's added work for InstantCert and unnecessary.  TESU, EC,  and COSC already accept ACE credit, so you're good to go.

I know they accept all ACE credits but I can't always tell where they fit in the degree.  For ex, Sophia Intro to Info Systems says on ACE that it is a LL Intro to IT but Charter Oak responded to my inquiry that they will accept it as an IT elective.  But I guess even the "official" transfer lists are not completely accurate.
I asked COSC about the Humanities 101 course and, on the list at Study, it shows as a Humanities credit but they said it would also fulfill the Gen Ed of Literature/Fine Arts.

I'm a planner by nature and wish I could have it all figured out perfectly ahead of time.  lol  We can only do our best with help of this forum!

The courses that ICC are offering are all things that we know where they'll fit, all you have to do is ask (list your school and major).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TwinMom
I am wondering how the college algebra course at InstantCert comes in at TESU.
School: TESU
Major: BSBA
Does it meet the college algebra requirement?
(07-14-2019, 02:46 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: I am wondering how the college algebra course at InstantCert comes in at TESU.

Yes, it should come in as MAT-121 and work for that requirement.

This is not a guarantee though, so you might want to ask TESU.  I was thinking you'd ask about the others, those are easier to tell you (sometimes, a "college algebra" course won't cover the requirements that they want, so they'll count it as Intermediate Algebra instead).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-27-2019, 07:55 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 02:57 PM)cookderosa Wrote: You guys don't need formal articulation agreements between InstantCert and TESU / COSC. That's added work for InstantCert and unnecessary.  TESU, EC,  and COSC already accept ACE credit, so you're good to go.

I know they accept all ACE credits but I can't always tell where they fit in the degree.  For ex, Sophia Intro to Info Systems says on ACE that it is a LL Intro to IT but Charter Oak responded to my inquiry that they will accept it as an IT elective.  But I guess even the "official" transfer lists are not completely accurate.
I asked COSC about the Humanities 101 course and, on the list at Study, it shows as a Humanities credit but they said it would also fulfill the Gen Ed of Literature/Fine Arts.

I'm a planner by nature and wish I could have it all figured out perfectly ahead of time.  lol  We can only do our best with help of this forum!

That's why posting here / asking here is useful. It's a real-time application of the course to a transcript.
The problem with the lists, are that they have to be updated each year by both parties, and that would be true for every ACE provider. Nobody does that- they don't even do that for CLEP - I can find a dozen colleges that still have Freshman Composition on their accepted CLEP list (exam retired in 2016) and I'm pretty sure the Straighterline list hasn't been updated in as many years.

The history of how a college acts is a good predictor of how it will act, so collectively, I think you can get a good guess from people with maybe 80% certainty of how each course will come in at each of the Big 3. Until someone does it - then it will be posted - and you'll feel better than 80% confident. Hope that helps!!
(07-14-2019, 02:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-14-2019, 02:46 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: I am wondering how the college algebra course at InstantCert comes in at TESU.

Yes, it should come in as MAT-121 and work for that requirement.

This is not a guarantee though, so you might want to ask TESU.  I was thinking you'd ask about the others, those are easier to tell you (sometimes, a "college algebra" course won't cover the requirements that they want, so they'll count it as Intermediate Algebra instead).

I inquired with TESU yesterday about the college algebra course at InstantCert and received some bad news for everyone this morning. TESU's reply "Unfortunately, we do not currently accept this credit. You would need to follow the instructions on the following website in order for TESU to review and accept their ACE reviewed coursework"
That's TESU advisor's standard answer when they're not familiar with something. Don't take it as fact, they're not the registrar. They always say it and it's always wrong.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • alab21, CarpeDiem8
(09-04-2019, 06:20 PM)jsd Wrote: That's TESU advisor's standard answer when they're not familiar with something. Don't take it as fact, they're not the registrar. They always say it and it's always wrong.

I can understand that is the standard answer by the advisor, however; how can someone find out the correct answer when the registrar director refers back to the advisor? Direct quote from registrar "If you wish to take a course elsewhere please speak to advising first to make sure the course would transfer in as one of the courses above."

Bottom-line. I don't believe anyone wants to pay and take a test and then discover it didn't transfer over as credit or the correct course.

Question. Has anyone successfully taken a course at ICC and received credit from TESU?
(09-04-2019, 06:20 PM)jsd Wrote: That's TESU advisor's standard answer when they're not familiar with something. Don't take it as fact, they're not the registrar. They always say it and it's always wrong.

Maybe. TESU did add that whole bit about "Approved Providers" at the beginning of the year. They have four currently approved, and listed a bunch of the existing providers as "Provisionally Approved – Review Pending". Since InstantCert's ACE offerings came after all of that, it's not impossible they would insist that they jump through the hoop of becoming approved. 

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/e...der-review
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/p...-directory

Is InstantCert pursuing approval?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(09-06-2019, 11:23 AM)davewill Wrote:

Maybe. TESU did add that whole bit about "Approved Providers" at the beginning of the year. They have four currently approved, and listed a bunch of the existing providers as "Provisionally Approved – Review Pending". Since InstantCert's ACE offerings came after all of that, it's not impossible they would insist that they jump through the hoop of becoming approved. 

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/e...der-review
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/p...-directory

Is InstantCert pursuing approval?
Yes, we are working on getting Approved Provider status. I will keep you all updated if we can get approved.
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
[-] The following 2 users Like sgloer's post:
  • cookderosa, TwinMom
Are you able to share any insight on what the approval entails?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 380 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,675 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,794 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,394 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 546 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,809 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 537 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 308 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 672 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat