Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is my Excelsior admissions counselor wrong, or is Excelsior no longer "Big 3"?
(10-03-2019, 08:42 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: ROYISAGIRLWhere are you in your degree?

Another question for you, RoyIsAGirl. Are you doing Natural Sciences with no concentration of Natural Sciences with a Biology concentration? A different person from Excelsior admissions called me to talk be off the ledge, so now the college is looking more reasonable to me. But while I was talking to her (she seemed to know a lot, which was great), I forgot to ask about this part of the Bio concentration requirement, and now they are closed for the weekend: 

Quote:C. Select one course from at least three different areas. At least one course must be an upper-level laboratory course or include an upper-level laboratory as part of the course.

But I've looked through the Excelsior catalog and don't see any upper level labs available. I could take one somewhere else (thanks to the correction made by my new BFF at admissions), but an upper level lab is going to be expensive no matter where I take it, so it seemed weird they didn't offer any. Are they only offered during certain terms?

body,div,table,thead,tbody,tfoot,tr,th,td,p { font-family:"Liberation Sans"; font-size:x-small } a.comment-indicator:hover + comment { background:#ffd; position:absolute; display:block; border:1px solid black; padding:0.5em; } a.comment-indicator { background:red; display:inline-block; border:1px solid black; width:0.5em; height:0.5em; } comment { display:none; }

(10-04-2019, 10:43 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you apply and just want an eval, you pay for that with your application fee.  I doubt they will give you any info on Study.com or other ACE credits, which is why I wouldn't tell someone to enroll there until they have 100+cr to evaluate.

If you enroll, then you have to pay the enrollment fee of $1,095.  Find out what the refund policy is if you want to cancel.

Thanks for the good advice. The refund policies are pretty bleak—basically, the multi-source fee would be nonrefundable once I talk to an advisor. So if I talk to an advisor and find out Excelsior is out of reach financially due to picky transfer policies, I would be out of luck:

https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/fee-refunds/

So I think you are right. Amass cheap credits first, unless for some reason I decide that Excelsior is the best choice regardless of possible surprise costs.

I am feeling a little pressure to decide with the new cornerstone requirement coming in, but will try to ignore that ...
(10-04-2019, 04:54 PM)wow Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 08:42 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: ROYISAGIRLWhere are you in your degree?

Another question for you, RoyIsAGirl. Are you doing Natural Sciences with no concentration of Natural Sciences with a Biology concentration? A different person from Excelsior admissions called me to talk be off the ledge, so now the college is looking more reasonable to me. But while I was talking to her (she seemed to know a lot, which was great), I forgot to ask about this part of the Bio concentration requirement, and now they are closed for the weekend: 

Quote:C. Select one course from at least three different areas. At least one course must be an upper-level laboratory course or include an upper-level laboratory as part of the course.

But I've looked through the Excelsior catalog and don't see any upper level labs available. I could take one somewhere else (thanks to the correction made by my new BFF at admissions), but an upper level lab is going to be expensive no matter where I take it, so it seemed weird they didn't offer any. Are they only offered during certain terms?

body,div,table,thead,tbody,tfoot,tr,th,td,p { font-family:"Liberation Sans"; font-size:x-small } a.comment-indicator:hover + comment { background:#ffd; position:absolute; display:block; border:1px solid black; padding:0.5em; } a.comment-indicator { background:red; display:inline-block; border:1px solid black; width:0.5em; height:0.5em; } comment { display:none; }
I am doing the bio concentration. I couldn't find an upper level lab so I was just gonna take that course (can't remember the name right now) and the capstone with Excelsior
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(10-04-2019, 12:18 PM)sanantone Wrote: Unlike COSC and TESU, Excelsior doesn't put much information out there about how ACE credits will transfer. For the degree you're wanting, Study.com doesn't really offer anything you couldn't get through CLEP, DSST, Uexcel, or Straighterline. You can find the equivalents for those.

Admissions counselors are notoriously poorly-trained. They have performance measures, but it's illegal to pay them commission. They only need to know enough to convince students to enroll.

Thanks. I'll look at the CLEP and DSST equivalents. I've looked at Uexcel and those are definitely on my list, but less accessible where I live as the closest testing center is pretty far away. Excelsior doesn't publish its Straighterline equivalents, as far as I can tell, and someone at Straighterline told me they've gotten feedback that Excelsior has been inconsistent in what they accept/how they apply those credits toward the degree.

Also, I got a very nice call today from someone at admissions who knew more, which was nice. It was after the admissions counselor above contacted me this morning to ask if all my questions had been answered and I said (politely, I think) that they hadn't. She relayed the questions to the more knowledgeable employee, which I took as a positive gesture.

P.S. Quick update—Just looked at the CLEP and DSST recommendations on the ACE website, but it doesn't look like they recommend a course equivalency, and I'm not finding a course equivalency list on the Excelsior website, either. Is that what you meant, that the actual course equivalency is published somewhere? Or just to look on the ACE website at https://clep.collegeboard.org/develop-yo...mendations for the credit recommendations (e.g. 6 LL credits for the Chemistry exam)? Sorry if I'm being slow on the uptake here ... I will blame the awful virus I've had all week for fogging my brain.
Excelsior has a three-credit bio course that counts as an upper-level lab. It think it's advanced something.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-04-2019, 05:13 PM)sanantone Wrote: Excelsior has a three-credit bio course that counts as an upper-level lab. It think it's advanced something.
Advanced investigations in Biology
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(10-04-2019, 05:18 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 05:13 PM)sanantone Wrote: Excelsior has a three-credit bio course that counts as an upper-level lab. It think it's advanced something.
Advanced investigations in Biology

Thank you!

Thank you!
Looking carefully at your exchange again, I think I understand the miscommunication.

You asked: "Thanks. I'm still unclear on which ones must be taken at Excelsior vs another school."

She wrote: "No problem. What you do mean by taken at another school? Are you referring to transferring in credits? Since the degree is through Excelsior College, the degree programs credits are going to be taken with us. If you are looking to earn any credits outside of Excelsior College then that’s a conversation you’ll have with an advisor once you are an admitted/enrolled student."

You could have asked it differently, but if you reread your question, it could be interpreted to ask if you HAVE TO take classes at another school. You'll remember that many of the big 3 offer degrees that can't be fully completed in-house, requiring a student to bring in credit. Her answer, in that context, makes perfect sense. She's explaining that you complete the degree through EC *UNLESS* you want to earn credit outside of EC/transfer, and in which case your advisor is the go-to. And she'd be right.
(10-05-2019, 10:48 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Looking carefully at your exchange again, I think I understand the miscommunication.

You asked:  "Thanks. I'm still unclear on which ones must be taken at Excelsior vs another school."

She wrote:  "No problem. What you do mean by taken at another school? Are you referring to transferring in credits? Since the degree is through Excelsior College, the degree programs credits are going to be taken with us. If you are looking to earn any credits outside of Excelsior College then that’s a conversation you’ll have with an advisor once you are an admitted/enrolled student."

You could have asked it differently, but if you reread your question, it could be interpreted to ask if you HAVE TO take classes at another school.  You'll remember that many of the big 3 offer degrees that can't be fully completed in-house, requiring a student to bring in credit.  Her answer, in that context, makes perfect sense.  She's explaining that you complete the degree through EC *UNLESS* you want to earn credit outside of EC/transfer, and in which case your advisor is the go-to. And she'd be right.

This is very helpful. Intellectually, I know that any miscommunication is likely to be at least half my fault. But it's not always easy to see the part I'm playing in it because I know what I meant to say. Maybe I need to major in communications or psychology ... Wink
(10-05-2019, 02:50 PM)wow Wrote:
(10-05-2019, 10:48 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Looking carefully at your exchange again, I think I understand the miscommunication.

You asked:  "Thanks. I'm still unclear on which ones must be taken at Excelsior vs another school."

She wrote:  "No problem. What you do mean by taken at another school? Are you referring to transferring in credits? Since the degree is through Excelsior College, the degree programs credits are going to be taken with us. If you are looking to earn any credits outside of Excelsior College then that’s a conversation you’ll have with an advisor once you are an admitted/enrolled student."

You could have asked it differently, but if you reread your question, it could be interpreted to ask if you HAVE TO take classes at another school.  You'll remember that many of the big 3 offer degrees that can't be fully completed in-house, requiring a student to bring in credit.  Her answer, in that context, makes perfect sense.  She's explaining that you complete the degree through EC *UNLESS* you want to earn credit outside of EC/transfer, and in which case your advisor is the go-to. And she'd be right.

This is very helpful. Intellectually, I know that any miscommunication is likely to be at least half my fault. But it's not always easy to see the part I'm playing in it because I know what I meant to say. Maybe I need to major in communications or psychology ... Wink

ha ha - I'm still totally ok with your advisor not being careful to craft her answer. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 403 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,584 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,646 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,315 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,337 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,074 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,735 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,311 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az