Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is patten difficult?
I dont mind a challenge, but I have a fulltime job + 2 kids. Do you think I can find time to get their mba program done in one term? I am looking at the mba with focus on IT because IT is the future.

I am going to be graduating tesc with a bsba general management.
i took undergrad courses there, so i can't speak to the MBA program, but I was not happy with my time there.

i really liked the patten course setup, and I felt they taught me a lot, but the exams had nothing to do with the course learning. the staff, with a couple of exceptions, were uninterested and unresponsive when problems arose. a few people who took business courses there seem happy, and the lower level stuff seemed to be pretty straight forward, but the psych program was garbage.

As an example, my social pscyhology exam included questions about running a business and market niches (in no way related to soc psych, clearly meant for one of their business courses). When I brought up the problem to the staff after the exam, they basically shrugged it and told me it's not uncommon and gave no indication anything would be done about it. I had similar issues with almost every exam I took.

One paper I wrote was marked down twice in two separate areas on a rubric for the same; not including items that weren't even asked for/included on the rubric. And another area for not including something that the rubric asked for which I explicitly did include. I appealed the paper grade per the school's process, and the interim Dean rejected it using language that made it clear he didn't even completely read the appeal, and said that sometimes rubrics are incomplete or that evaluators don't follow them (??).

So I'm not a fan. But there are definitely others here that have enjoyed Patten. The coursework and projects weren't hard by any means, at least when the rubric was used to evaluate them. But the exams were hit or miss and the courses didn't teach what you needed to know to get high marks on them.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:i took undergrad courses there, so i can't speak to the MBA program, but I was not happy with my time there.

i really liked the patten course setup, and I felt they taught me a lot, but the exams had nothing to do with the course learning. the staff, with a couple of exceptions, were uninterested and unresponsive when problems arose. a few people who took business courses there seem happy, and the lower level stuff seemed to be pretty straight forward, but the psych program was garbage.

As an example, my social pscyhology exam included questions about running a business and market niches (in no way related to soc psych, clearly meant for one of their business courses). When I brought up the problem to the staff after the exam, they basically shrugged it and told me it's not uncommon and gave no indication anything would be done about it. I had similar issues with almost every exam I took.

One paper I wrote was marked down twice in two separate areas on a rubric for the same; not including items that weren't even asked for/included on the rubric. And another area for not including something that the rubric asked for which I explicitly did include. I appealed the paper grade per the school's process, and the interim Dean rejected it using language that made it clear he didn't even completely read the appeal, and said that sometimes rubrics are incomplete or that evaluators don't follow them (??).

So I'm not a fan. But there are definitely others here that have enjoyed Patten. The coursework and projects weren't hard by any means, at least when the rubric was used to evaluate them. But the exams were hit or miss and the courses didn't teach what you needed to know to get high marks on them.

umm I sortof registered before I graduated BSBA (officially) will they charge my bank before I submit my TESC transcript? I just was really curious and excited to check it out ! I'm done with TESC, I'm just waiting on my last transcript to be evaluated, so that I can make the March graduation deadline.
they shouldn't charge you unless you commit to enroll.

their MBA program might be better, like I said there have been folks on here who enjoyed their business undergrad courses. This is just my experience.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:they shouldn't charge you unless you commit to enroll.

their MBA program might be better, like I said there have been folks on here who enjoyed their business undergrad courses. This is just my experience.

I hope not. I still have the pay the TESC residency waiver. They actually include the "final" in the orientation, which asks you a bunch of questions related to school policy, and school history, as part of your grade. If you fall under 3.0GPA (graduate level) then you run the risk of being withdrawn from the school
I read somewhere that the "management" concentration is the easiest of all. I think maybe I'll switch to it from IT. The only issue I have is that this course is writing intensive, and my writing kind of sucks, so I'm hoping to work extra hard to compensate for it Smile The challenge of this course does excite me, though. I paid for the entire term via my bank account, so I truly hope I can finish it within 1 term. I read in some other place thatit's better to get the projects over with before the quizzes, because they may take awhile to grade them which will eat up on your time.

It's very reading intensive. It's kindof similar to saylor, but it's more synchronized, and the sources for reading material are superior. But that's you pay for Smile lol I have 2 kids and a fulltime job, so I'm really hoping to step it up and do what I need to do to get this MBA under my belt.
I strongly disliked their format for undergrad. The grading seemed completely random on the tests. I loved the WGU format. I think the process of adding grades is really difficult in a competency based format. I'm sure grades can be used in competency formats, but i the Patten way does not work for me. Just my two cents.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
I know a couple of people have tried one term and haven't been able to do it. 2 terms is doable.

creditmonsoon Wrote:I dont mind a challenge, but I have a fulltime job + 2 kids. Do you think I can find time to get their mba program done in one term? I am looking at the mba with focus on IT because IT is the future.

I am going to be graduating tesc with a bsba general management.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Side share... I was in San Francisco doing a talk and figured since we would pass through Oakland (drove up) it could be cool to stop by Patten University. My final decision for my MBA came down to Amberton vs WGU/Patten. The price of Patten was by far the biggest draw but there were pieces in the study format that just felt a little lacking for how I prepare but still, it was a down to the wire decision. It was interesting walking through the campus or really just grounds now and thinking this almost was a place I would have called my university. The neighborhood is a mix of danger due to some of the poor surroundings and awesome beauty due to the obvious culture. There seems to be a resurgence in the neighborhood as well with some new restaurants opening up. We had an excellent meal at this vegetarian/vegan spot called The Veg Hub.

The fact that Patten is a Cali based school was also a draw and driving away it tugged on me a bit. Then I went into the bay, had a great 4 days and forgot about it Wink
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
Funny you should say that about the Cali draw, Ransomsoul. One of the deciding factors about where I got my EdS was that my doda had gone there too. Now we share one alma mater for our bachelor's degrees and another (in Cali) for some of our graduate degrees. Smile
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it difficult to apply for nau's MCIT(competency-based)? qiaoyiren 3 1,081 03-24-2021, 04:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA - WGU vs. JFK (Patten) sanantone 7 1,928 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Masters Help Patten Replacement armstrongsubero 12 2,674 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Patten University Closing chorizo 9 5,890 07-25-2018, 02:32 PM
  Patten University MBA Finishers? RANSOMSOUL 20 7,947 07-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Patten MBA Review study0019 12 4,078 05-05-2018, 09:13 PM
  Patten MBA germ 7 2,176 02-21-2018, 06:57 AM
  Transferring Credits from Patten University Andrew670 5 2,749 12-11-2017, 03:08 AM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  WGU MS in Accounting or Patten MBA in Finance? xbrad2 4 1,632 10-25-2016, 11:09 PM
Last Post: xbrad2
  Patten MBA Feedback Andrew670 36 6,334 07-14-2016, 11:11 PM