Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JTP’s COSC Cyber Security Update/Accountability Thread
topdog98 Wrote:I am pretty sure that Ethics in America and A History of the Vietnam War are both considered lower level at COSC. http://www.charteroak.edu/exams/exams-master-list.pdf

Interesting. When originally applying and getting an evaluation completed I was told multiple times COSC strictly follows ACE recommendation for courses.

I know Vietnam War was just updated by ACE 1 November so maybe the spreadsheet is outdated. But that theory doesn't really hold much water since Ethics in America has been at current status since January 2013.

Either way I emailed my advisor with my DSST choices and asked her to verify they fit within my degree plan and fulfill the UL credits I need. I'll report back when I hear something from her.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
While waiting for a response back from my advisor, I decided to pursue the CHFI certification and have that be my focus. Got 40% off on some study material today through black Friday deals. I'll pair that with the free video training series from cybrary.it, and the official CHFI exam book.

If I can scrape together the $500 exam fee before the end of the year I will attempt the exam late December, but might have to wait to early January.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
COSC Wrote:Greetings:

Your portfolio has been forwarded to the faculty assessor for review. We expect the process to take about 30 days and will be back in touch upon receipt of the results, including any requests for additional information. If an assessor requests additional information, you will have 30 days in which to respond, and the assessor will have up to 30 days in which to complete the review. If you do not respond to any request for additional information, the assessment process will end after the 30-day period. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.

The Business Office has applied the charge for the assessment fee to your student account. However, the portfolio assessment fee will be covered by your PLA Scholarship Award; you may continue to see the fee on your student account while that is processed.

Got word from my advisor I can take Substance Abuse and Business Ethics DSSTs for my remaining UL credits.

I should also find out by the end of the week if my new employer will reimburse me for the CHFI exam. Its a real small company and their initial statement when hired was no tuition reimbursement...but I wrote a letter anyway asking for some, I figured worst they could say was no. They followed up with some questions about its relation to my current job and they said they would discuss it at a meeting later this week. So fingers crossed.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Not even 10 calendar days later and I got word they approved my portfolio. :willynilly:

I'm happy now that I wrote so much information and formatted my portfolio the way I did as the evaluator said it was very easy to verify my competency in the subject.

I would have gladly paid the $300 out of pocket for these UL degree requirements, but getting them for free makes this moment even sweeter.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
don't you have to pay to get the portfolio evaluated ?
bluebooger Wrote:don't you have to pay to get the portfolio evaluated ?

Yes, but I received the portfolio scholarship from COSC so the fee was waived for me.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
My employer just gave the word they would be happy to reimburse me the cost of the certification once I pass the exam :roflol::hurray::willynilly:

As I mentioned a few posts ago their initial statement when hiring me is that they don't do tuition/training reimbursement. Just goes to show it never hurts to ask, the worst that can happen is someone says no, or you might be surprised and they say yes.

Just waiting to hear back form my POC at the training organization to purchase the exam voucher and then sign up for the exam sometime before the month ends.

Also signed up for Substance Abuse DSST for January 5th.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Passed the C|HFI exam yesterday! Once

I get the cert officially awarded and can get a PDF of the certificate I will send it to COSC along with the $300 to have it evaluated.

Now to study for these DSST exams.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
I'm currently waiting on an "Assessment Team" to be assigned to my CHFI evaluation. If I remember correctly I had to wait a week or so for a team to be created and assigned for my CEH evaluation. I submitted all of the paperwork for the evaluation this past Friday, so hopefully sometime this week they will let me know the team has the documentation and I can pay the evaluation fee.

I'm 95% sure the cert will be awarded credit for CSS 436 System Forensics, and I think there is a moderate chance it might also get credit for CSS245 Security Policies. I attached the Student Learning Objectives for each course and did a small write up on my justification for including them. In the end it comes down to the assessment team and they could reject both if they felt like it.

I decided to hold off on my DSST exams till I hear back from the Evaluation. In the off chance I get more than one course awarded I might not need the extra 3.41UL credits still and the DSSTs would have been a waste of time and money. For now I'll start planning out a PLA for CSS347 Sec Strategies in Windows since no matter what it will need to be done, and register for the Capstone course once my advisor gets back in from vacation.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
So It was a day shy of 2 weeks but I got the email to pay the assessment fee and was told the assessor has my docs.

I also found out that even though the course catalog says you can register for the capstone when you have at least 110 credits, it really means you have to be in your last 10 credits of your degree. So I have 12 credits left (116 total) and I have to wait till this evaluation goes through before I can have registration opened for the capstone. Not really any sort of set back just a minor annoyance.

In the meantime I'll still plug away at these portfolios, I feel I am getting somewhat more efficient at completing them.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,999 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,695 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,336 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 3,056 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help! kietro 7 2,448 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kietro
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,822 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,834 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 2,030 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,981 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
  Degree Plan Help - COSC vs TESU regovista 22 4,487 06-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Last Post: davewill