Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JTP’s COSC Cyber Security Update/Accountability Thread
Eval results came in yesterday.

Not too surprised it didn't get credit for Security Policies, but I was surprised it got me 4 UL credits for the forensics class instead of the 3 UL the course itself is worth...but I'll take it.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Things have been going a little slower than expected due to nice and surprising life changes, but I submitted my Portfolio for CSS347 this morning.

I was unexpectedly contacted by a DoD Intelligence organization I've been wanting to work for and was offered an interview. Fast forward a couple months and I've been completing a TON of onboarding activities and assuming everything continues to run smoothly I should be starting a job with them in early April. If this pans out, I'm not sure if I will be able to complete my last portfolio in time to graduate by May, but worst case I will have it turned in for August graduation.

If this job does in fact come to fruition this will be a dream come true. Seriously my deciding factor to pursue the Cybersecurity degree was to position myself to be as competitive as possible to land a job here in the future.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
I got word from the PLA office that my CSS347 Portfolio was in fact awarded credit for the course :roflol: One more thing to check off my list!!!
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Looks like you are getting close. Do you know when you are going to take capstone?
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Well I believe like you, work is getting hectic fast. I previously mentioned I would be moving from my current organization to a new organization...however this past Monday the two leads of my current orgs cybersecurity/information security group approached me and asked if I would reconsider moving and take a position within their group. This position would progress me in information security very quickly, they would pay for all the training to get my CISSP and provide a raise when I received it, and give me a very substantial raise up front. I'm supposed to get an official offer letter from their company today and will know my final decision by end of week.

In preparation for possibly taking the CISSP by the end of the summer I went ahead and dropped the capstone course this past Sunday to make sure I got a full reimbursement of my tuition.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Ok very overdue progress update:

I went with the first position and have been getting the firehose treatment of knowledge in my new role. Tons of training, conferences, and training over the past few months.

As a result that last portfolio has had minimal progress...but it's getting close. I also started the cybersecurity capstone course this past Monday. I'll wait to post my initial impressions till my first week assignments have been graded.

As long as no kinks pop up I plan to be done with my bachelors in August.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Good luck. Who is teaching the capstone?
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

The instructors name is professor Monaco.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Ok so this has been a crazy course so far.

Apparently I am one of the furthest people in the program and I'm guessing the other student enrolled in the capstone this past spring term also had to drop it. I assume this because the instructor informed me that this is the first time COSC is delivering the course and it will be a learning process for everyone. I had been keeping detailed notes of all of the issues I ran into and after the second week when we both hit a huge issue with the curriculum he completely revamped the course.

So the initial lay out of the course was apparently meant for teams of around 3 people to work together to complete the weekly assignments that fed into the large document which was the final project. I am the only one in the coursewas really swamped with the lectures, two technical assessment discussion posts, and six writing assignments required each week. On top of that there was some conflicting information within the provided course material...which we noted together and corrected...but after the last big issues he just sat down and came up with a different way of completing the course that still covers all of the SLOs and we agreed that would be more beneficial to me.

It is still going to require a ton of writing and work but it definitely feels like more meaningful work so far and less piddly busy work. My first draft/outline of the document is due at the end of week four, and I am currently in week 3. I'm slowly making progress on it and don't feel I will have any issues making the deadline as long as I follow the schedule I've set.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Update:

I submitted my portfolio for CSS245 today. Still waiting on the business office to add the charge to my account, which I have to pay before they will send it to the assessor.

I also registered for two DSST exams today, because I'm 3.6UL credits short due to old credits coming in from quarter hours instead of semester hours. Those are going to be Substance Abuse and Business Ethics and they are scheduled Aug 2nd and 4th.

Other than that I'm chugging along in the Capstone course in week 5 of 8.

If everything works out I'll have all of my requirements completed at the end of the term which is August 14th.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,931 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,673 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 3,001 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help! kietro 7 2,404 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kietro
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,796 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,800 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 1,999 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,941 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
  Degree Plan Help - COSC vs TESU regovista 22 4,376 06-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Last Post: davewill