Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joint service transcript credit acceptance
How accepting of the military transcripts (schools, MOS training, etc) are the schools some of you are in/went to? How about with the Big 3 (Excelsior, TESC, Charter Oaks).
Even mine as an army E8, mechanical maintenance (91Z) shows ACE recommended credits for Public speaking, supervision, technical report writing, and others. Would be nice if able to get out of some coursework.
Thanks!
windyart Wrote:How accepting of the military transcripts (schools, MOS training, etc) are the schools some of you are in/went to? How about with the Big 3 (Excelsior, TESC, Charter Oaks).
Even mine as an army E8, mechanical maintenance (91Z) shows ACE recommended credits for Public speaking, supervision, technical report writing, and others. Would be nice if able to get out of some coursework.
Thanks!

If you go on over to the degreeforum wiki you can see some good examples of what transfers. Here is a direct link to mine where you can see that Thomas Edison was very liberal in giving out credits equivalent to my schooling/experience in the Navy.

Dposborne's BS in Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - Degree Forum Wiki
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
I know from experience that Excelsior is very generous with their military credit recognition. They give 9 credits for SSD1 for instance - ACE only recommends 3.

TESC has a cool tool here: https://mvp.tesc.edu/ You can create a free account and upload a pdf copy of your JST and it will let you preview how those credits are evaluated, and how they'll apply to different degree plans. It has an odd glitch where it doesn't recognize any of the CLEP History exams, but other than that it's pretty neat.

I don't have any info for COSC though. I imagine it's probably pretty similar.
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
Southwestern College in Kansas will accept all the ACE classes from your JST if not directly, at least as electives, if you are am E8 you probably have a lot of ACE credits, most of their programs allow about 50 credits of electives to accommodate the military.
Air force credits are a bit different, but TESC accepted 59 of my CCAF credits.
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question on this area. I have a friend who entered the navy with an AA from local community college in Liberal studies. He has spent the last 2 years in boot camp and Nuclear training. In my opinion he could use those credits and finish a BA in no time. Would this help his advancement in the service (he is an E-5 now). Or should he just wait and finish the BA when he gets out and is less stressed. He has 4 years left in and I just want him to make the best of that time. Thank you for your advice.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question on this area. I have a friend who entered the navy with an AA from local community college in Liberal studies. He has spent the last 2 years in boot camp and Nuclear training. In my opinion he could use those credits and finish a BA in no time. Would this help his advancement in the service (he is an E-5 now). Or should he just wait and finish the BA when he gets out and is less stressed. He has 4 years left in and I just want him to make the best of that time. Thank you for your advice.

A lot of Navy 'Nuke' guys actually go through TESC. They have a Bachelor's in Nuclear ET, and many guys complete it there. In fact, TESC always shows the story of the same Navy dude who did his degree through them (You know the people I'm talking about, they show like the same four people who graduated years ago). TESC will give him credit for the Navy courses. It is best for him to get his bachelor's while in the service. As an E-5 he should already know this unless he has the worst supervisors in Navy history. It makes him more competitive for promotion and opens up other opportunities he can cross into later. It's also possible for him pursue a commission and make tons of money in or out of the military.

EDIT:

Here is the link for the TESC "Navy Guy" Brad Brezinski
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Lindagerr Wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question on this area. I have a friend who entered the navy with an AA from local community college in Liberal studies. He has spent the last 2 years in boot camp and Nuclear training. In my opinion he could use those credits and finish a BA in no time. Would this help his advancement in the service (he is an E-5 now). Or should he just wait and finish the BA when he gets out and is less stressed. He has 4 years left in and I just want him to make the best of that time. Thank you for your advice.

If I were him I would definitely finish the degree through TESC while still in the service. There are also programs specifically for Navy Nukes that allow them to become nuclear qualified officers that he can look at. If he does complete his degree the doors are pretty much wide open on what he can do since this basically opens paths to other officer career fields like Supply/Logistics or Intel. If I had it all to do over again, as a Navy Nuke I would have finished up while I was in. Not necessarily to go officer, but to save my GI Bill for other degrees after I got out (since he gets Tuition Assistance while he is in)
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
Currently enrolled in Central Texas College through the Goarmyed.com, and tuition assistance.
They gave me credit for the speech requirement. Which is understandable I as it appears that that may be the only thing that actually comes up as part of the degree plan I am in.
CLEP:
American Government: 64
Us Hist 1: 53
US Hist 2: 57
Microeconomics: 50 (barely slid in there)
Social Science and history 57

DSST:
Civil war: 424
Intro to Biz: 459
History of Vietnam war 438

up next:
Art of the Western World
History of the Soviet Union

after that:
Organizational Behavior
Western Europe 1 and 2

Bring back Western Europe since 1945, I was all ready for it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Converting Dive training to Colleges credit vetvso 9 1,695 09-16-2022, 04:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Service = Credits Alpha 5 1,417 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: vetvso
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 25,885 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,583 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Navy BootCamp Credit natshar 9 2,309 03-31-2020, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,875 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESC Automatic Military Credit Eval Prloko 2 1,431 04-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps smf6824 6 1,729 04-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Last Post: smf6824
  CCAF and ACE-recommended credit (TEEX/ALEKS) for Tech Core/Elective NOT for GenEd... hightecrebel 3 1,539 12-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Last Post: hightecrebel
  JST Credit Recommendations frankshorey 5 1,941 10-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Last Post: frankshorey