Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps
Anyone have any experience with these guys? They are technically part of the uniformed services but I didn't interact with them during my time in the army. I saw there website, so I have that info. Anything you guys have would be great.
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015
They talk about them a lot on Allnurses.com. I can't really tell you anything that you can't find through research or by talking to a recruiter, but I did research them extensively. They mostly hire physicians, dentists, nurses, nurse practitioners, pharmacists, and physician assistants. They currently have a hiring freeze on nurses. You have to meet weight standards before you start, but their officer training is not physical at all. Not only do you have to be accepted to the officer program, but you also have to find a job. It seems like most USPHS officers work for the Indian Health Service and Bureau of Prisons. Obviously, the IHS positions are out in the middle of nowhere. It might be easier to just apply directly to IHS or BOP because it could be a long time before USPHS has an opening in your field. I believe IHS does offer tuition reimbursement, but you won't get the excellent retirement benefits of the USPHS.

While USPHS is a uniformed service, it is not an armed force. However, you could possibly be deployed across the country and world to deal with health crises and treat military members at war. Currently, some USPHS officers are in Africa dealing with the ebola epidemic.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Have you also heard about the NOAA Commissioned Officer Corps? They prefer a degree in engineering, math, or science, but will accept any bachelor's degree as long as you have 48 credit hours in those subjects that includes some coursework in calculus and/or physics. You alternate between ship and land-based assignments every 2-3 years. Ship deployments range from a few days to 40 days at a time. Most of the assignments will be in the coastal cities of the U.S.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Two of my college friends went to med school courtesy of the USPHS. One has spent her career as a pediatrician on a Navy base and the other is with the VA. They were both grateful to be accepted and to get through med school without debt, albeit with an extensive service obligation.

(They were accepted waaaay back in the '90s, so I daresay some things have changed.)
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
The Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences is free for civilians, but I'm sure it's very difficult to get in.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Yes, it was *very* difficult to get in. They both had amazing GPAs and MCAT scores.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
sanantone Wrote:Have you also heard about the NOAA Commissioned Officer Corps? They prefer a degree in engineering, math, or science, but will accept any bachelor's degree as long as you have 48 credit hours in those subjects that includes some coursework in calculus and/or physics. You alternate between ship and land-based assignments every 2-3 years. Ship deployments range from a few days to 40 days at a time. Most of the assignments will be in the coastal cities of the U.S.

Yea... I have heard of them. It may be an option but since I have been in the medical field so long I would prefer the public health service route. Also it adds on to any retirement time I accrued in the army
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Service = Credits Alpha 5 1,458 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Radiation health technician clydeben23 1 1,196 02-18-2016, 12:42 AM
Last Post: Milton
  BYU Public Speaking and CCAF rcsaint 5 2,019 01-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Last Post: gingerbeefE
  Joint service transcript credit acceptance windyart 8 3,052 06-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Last Post: windyart
  FEMA Independent Study online classes for military service with GED kbk1061 18 3,348 09-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  DSST Principles of Public Speakin jlongbo 2 1,442 03-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Last Post: SoliDeoGloria
  Pro's of Enlisted over Commissioned? 15%Luck 14 3,412 02-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Swank Health Courses anusua 0 2,330 02-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Last Post: anusua
  Military Members, What would be your "dream job" in the service? G-Man 14 3,780 04-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Last Post: HawkGuy
  Commissioned Officer as Proctor? HollyHill 2 1,740 03-31-2009, 12:36 AM
Last Post: JBjunior