Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juggling the big 3 (degree plan/path) - bit long
Lightbulb 
Hey everyone! Since joining this forum I've had my views transformed regarding how education can work. I am thriving using the online format from the ACE sites and I feel like a Bachelor's is in reach! Now comes the fun part - maximizing my credits. I'm learning more about this process every day, so I haven't done a good job taking advantage of my time.

I owe you all so much already, I hate to make another thread asking for help. But I could really use it!

So far I've applied to the big 3 schools who are evaluating my credits. These are my selections for my programs though I am open to suggestions and other paths.

1. TESU - BA - Lib Arts / Psych Major
2. Excelsior - BS - Health Sciences
3. COSC - BA - Public Safety Administration

Numbers 1 & 2 have evaluated my transcripts but somehow my ACE order didn't process so none of them received my credits from SL/Shmoop/TEEX/etc. COSC hasn't posted an Academic Evaluation yet. Right now TESU is pretty bare so it's hard to say where I am at with them. For Excelsior, they have awarded me 53 credits pre-ACE towards the degree. This leaves me with 67 credits left. I've attached those to the bottom of this post. If I can't get most/all of these for Excelsior online, I'll likely pass on this degree as the cost and time commitment may not be worth it compared to a Liberal Arts degree at TESU.

While I wait a few weeks for them all to process my transcript that was sent today, I want to push forward with my courses and complete as many credits as possible without doubling up on courses or taking classes that won't count for credit. Based on my ACE credits below, along with my evaluated credits, what classes can I safely take while I await a final evaluation?

So far my ACE looks like this:

American Institute For Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters/The Institutes
Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct (online course)

Shmoop University
Algebra I
American National Government
Business Communication
Introduction to E-Commerce

Sophia
Developing Effective Teams
The Essentials of Managing Conflict

StraighterLine
Cultural Anthropology*
English Composition II*
Organizational Behavior*

Texas Engineering Extension Service
Cyber Security for Business Professionals
Cyber Security for Everyone

EXCELSIOR Credits Todo:
ARTS AND SCIENCES COMPONENT (60 CREDITS) TO INCLUDE:
Written English 6
Humanities
Ethics 2
Humanities Electives 7
Social Sciences/History
Social Sciences/History 0
Math/Natural Science
Statistics 2
Math/Natural Science Electives 1
Arts and Sciences Electives
Arts and Sciences Electives 21
HEALTH SCIENCES COMPONENT (15 CREDITS) TO INCLUDE:
HSC 310 Writing and Communication in theHealth Science Professions (UL) 3
HSC 320 Healthcare Issues in Culturally Diverse Populations 3
HSC 365 Research for Evidence Based Practice 3
HSC 431 Introduction to Healthcare Delivery Systems 3
HSC 445 Introduction to Healthcare Informatics 3
HEALTH EDUCATION EMPHASIS (9 CREDITS) TO INCLUDE:
HSC 413 Principles of Teaching and Learning 3
HSC 424 Health Care Education: Methods and Strategies 3
HSC 434 Health Literacy Issues and Solutions 3
Health Sciences Electives 0
CAPSTONE REQUIREMENT
HSC 464: Health Sciences Capstone 3
INFORMATION LITERACY REQUIREMENT
Information Literacy 1

EXCELSIOR CREDITS TRANSFERRED

LONG BEACH CITY COLLEGE

PGEOG*1 PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY
L
HIST*1A HISTORY:WESTERNEUROPE CIVILZTN
L
GEOG*2 ELEMENTS OF CULTURAL GEOGRAPHY
L
NATIONAL REGISTRY OF EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIANS
NATIONAL REGISTERED PARAMEDIC (NRP)

CARDIOLOGY
L
MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY
L
ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY II
L / NS
ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY I
L
INTRODUCTION TO PARAMEDICINE
L
PROFESSIONALISM IN HEALTH CARE
L
MEDICAL EMERGENCIES
L
PHARMACOLOGY
L
SPECIAL POPULATIONS
L
CLINICAL
L
TRAUMA CARE
L
FIELD
L
SADDLEBACK COLLEGE

PSYC*1 INTRO TO PSYCH
L
PS*1 AMERICAN GOVERNMENT
L

If you got this far, thank you SO much for any help you can provide.
Post your TESU eval, I can help you figure out what's going on with your ACE credits.

Also, have you looked at their BSPS degree? You could do that and bring in your Paramedic courses in for the Specialized Career Track (section II B) - you should have 16cr for that area, and you need 15cr so that would be a no-brainer.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks! The TESU eval is a bit hard to read through. If there's a better way to do it I'd be happy to re-post it. I hadn't even heard of the BSPS to be honest. Looks like that could be a quick and easy way to get some additional units. I have to send in my medic license to them - but there's no guarantee they'll accept it. They evaluate NJ licenses, but I have a TX, CA, and National license.

Program Summary: (In Progress)
Semester Hours (SH) Required: 120.00
SH Applied to Degree: 15.00
SH Remaining: 105.00
SH To Be Planned: 105.00

C: Human Cultures 12 SH (In progress)
SH Earned: 6
Required: 12
Remaining: 6
2 HIST1A Hist Western Civ 12/15/17 A 3.00 HIS-101
2 GEOG2 Elements of Cultural Geography 12/15/17 A 3.00 GOG-100

D: Natural World 4 SH (In progress)
2 PGEOG1 Earth Surface Study 12/15/17 A 3.00 GEO-151
______ _______________ _________________________ __________ _______ _______ __________
1 credit needed

3: Liberal Studies General Coursework (12SH) (In progress)
GPA Achieved/Needed: 3.000 / 2.000
*must earn grades of C/CR or better
For TESU course options, please contact an Advisor
**At least 18 credits within the entire Area of Study (including the Capstone) must be at the upper (300/400) level and a maximum of 6 semester hours can be at the 100 level.**
SH Earned: 6
Required: 12
Remaining: 6
1 PSYC1 Intro to Psych 05/15/05 B 3.00 PSY-101
1 PS1 American Government 05/15/05 B 3.00 POS-110
(02-08-2018, 11:37 AM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: Thanks! The TESU eval is a bit hard to read through. If there's a better way to do it I'd be happy to re-post it. I hadn't even heard of the BSPS to be honest. Looks like that could be a quick and easy way to get some additional units. I have to send in my medic license to them - but there's no guarantee they'll accept it. They evaluate NJ licenses, but I have a TX, CA, and National license.

It looks like you took the courses at a CC.  If this is the case, and the CC gave you credits for the courses, then you're actually better off, as you'll get those credits transferred.

If you didn't get CC credit, then the National License should be just as good as the NJ license - but let's see what they give you.

Check out the BSPS (BS in Professional Studies), it's a little more confusing than the BALS, but if they give you credit for the Paramedic courses, then this is probably the best use for them (instead of Free Electives).  I can make you a degree plan for the BSPS for sure, but I'd wait to see what your TESU eval comes back as after you get ACE sent over.

Also, I can't quite figure out what's going on with your eval.  Normally, it's easy (for me) to read.  Are you saying that you've taken Western Civ I, Cultural Geography, Intro to Psych and American Govt?  And then the list from ACE you already posted?  And that on the EC Eval, the rest of the credits you have are from the Paramedic license?
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Cheeseburrito
Yes that's what it looks like. They've applied the credits into slots that they have deemed transferable. I have a couple of classes they didn't take.

I wanted to try to take a few courses in the mean time, but I am starting to feel like that may be a bad idea in the event of duplication or if I end up changing the degree. I should probably wait until all 3 get my ACE and finish their assessment.
(02-08-2018, 02:21 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: Yes that's what it looks like. They've applied the credits into slots that they have deemed transferable. I have a couple of classes they didn't take.

I wanted to try to take a few courses in the mean time, but I am starting to feel like that may be a bad idea in the event of duplication or if I end up changing the degree. I should probably wait until all 3 get my ACE and finish their assessment.

You can easily start on some courses that you know will be accepted into all 3 schools (English Comp I & II or the CLEP, Speech, A&I Lit, US History, World Religions, a math course, etc.).
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Cheeseburrito
(02-08-2018, 05:49 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 02:21 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: Yes that's what it looks like. They've applied the credits into slots that they have deemed transferable. I have a couple of classes they didn't take.

You can easily start on some courses that you know will be accepted into all 3 schools (English Comp I & II or the CLEP, Speech, A&I Lit, US History, World Religions, a math course, etc.).

100% agree!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Okay sounds good, thank you. I want to stick with SL simply because my membership is active. Do you see any reason not to take these on SL starting now?:

- Intro to Religion
- Intro to Nutrition
- Intro Sociology
- US History I
- English Comp I (I've done II)
- Intro to Statistics
- I've started on Intro to Environmental Science already

You mentioned: Speech, World Religions, and A&I Lit, are those CLEPs?
Yes, those are CLEP's/DSST's. But you can take your SL courses you listed, those are good for all of the schools, and all Gen Ed's.
How long does it typically take the Big 3 to complete a transcript review and update the Academic Evaluation? I am going insane waiting for updates. I feel a bit lost because I don't know if I am wasting time or money by doing/not doing something. :/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,226 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,872 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,360 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,681 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,894 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,030 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU English Career Path? renaissancewoman87 14 4,765 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,337 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627