Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Started KCTCS CIT-111 Computer Hardware and Software - Review So Far
As many of you know, I had a bit of a rough start with KCTCS. Since I had completed CLEP Information Systems, DSST Management Information Systems, and CLEP College Algebra, I expected to bypass the Introduction to Computers and College prerequisites. The counselor's first response was, "send official transcripts! And, since you are a visiting student, send a letter of good standing as well." I had scanned and emailed a copy of the score reports from the mentioned tests expecting them to be sufficient since I wasn't asking for transfer credit. After several emails, I told them that I wasn't going to bother with their courses because getting the prerequisites waved was too much hassle. Later that day, I received an email explaining that the dean of students had granted transfer credits based on my scans, but I still would have to get a letter of good standing. I met them half way and requested the letter from Excelsior.

With this out of the way, I registered for class. The day after I registered and paid for the course, I started by taking the pretest. If I had scored 90% on this test I would have been able to bypass the course and taken the final. I scored a 78% and am now taking the course. The questions on the test sucked. Rather than ask relevant questions that demonstrate an understanding of the subject matter, questions are asked based on minute details. For example, there are questions regarding a certain set of jumpers on a motherboard. The possible answers list jumper group and jumper pad as options. Know the terminology is this instance does nothing to demonstrate an understanding of what the jumpers accomplish. There are other poorly worded questions that because of wording are just wrong. I have contacted the professor about two such questions so far.

Next, there is a slight problem with the intent of the course. This is supposed to be an A+ preparation course. The only problem with this is the A+ test they are preparing the students for expired on the 31st of Aug. I am simply taking the course for the credits and to knock out a prerequisite for further courses, but to many this could be a serious problem.

About an hour into the course, I am required to request an access code for the online labs they purchase from the publisher. This request will be fulfilled in 24 to 72 hours. I guess it is too much to ask that they assume I need this access and provide the code which I paid for with my tuition automatically in the course materials.

Lastly, this course is based on a textbook from Cengage and my experience with their textbooks has been terrible. They fail to keep up with rapidly changing technology and seem to lack fact checkers.

Overall, this has been a poor experience. They have much potential, but lack the ability to pull it all together. There seem to be hurdles through each step.

I got spoiled at BYU where I enrolled, registered for class, paid the tuition, and started lessons in about 30 minutes. KCTCS could take a few lessons from those who have been doing the independent learning for a while.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 299 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,230 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Software Engineer vs Data Engineer nomaduser 5 475 10-14-2023, 02:35 PM
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,140 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 19,636 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Universitat Oberta de Catalunya - Bachelor's degree in Software Development nyvrem 5 1,589 05-16-2023, 05:46 PM
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 791 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  ASU's new online BS in Computer Science program nomaduser 8 2,232 03-02-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Alternatives for basic computer and information literacy dscat 7 846 02-28-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Education Department to review guidance allowing revenue-share agreements with OPMs LevelUP 0 354 02-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP