Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LawShelf.com Discussion
While LawShelf courses won't work in the AOS for a TESU BALS degree, they would work as free electives. And a BALS at TESU has a significant number of free electives. Whether the courses are UL or LL doesn't matter for free electives.

For Excelsior, you can check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap I need to finish/reorganize the page because it may not be completely accurate. But it should at least give you a good idea of what is needed.

If you have the money, what I would suggest would be to apply to both schools and see who gives you the most useful credit layout.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-16-2022, 10:17 PM)CM1999 Wrote: I am hoping these are two quick questions...

If someone has quite a few LawShelf courses (and no GenEd yet, if that matters) and they would want to transfer as many as possible toward a degree...is there a school and degree that is best for that?   --I saw the equivalency guide for Excelsior but I also noticed that the Lib Arts degree has no 'free elective' slots and it looks like someone else was told that they wont work in a TESU Lib Arts degree....

Are there degree plans at either school that have a significant number of Free Elective slots?   --I'm having a very hard time finding degree plans for Excelsior, their website is kind of vague so if someone has a link to plans that look more like what you can find on TESU, I'd love to see it!

Second question:  I saw in this thread that Gov-202 Basics of Environmental Law comes in as ENS-360 Environ Sustain Social Justice.  When the transcript is done, will it have the "environmental law" name on it? or the "env. sustain social justice" name? 

THANK YOU!!
On TESU's transcript it's
ENS-360 Environ Sustain Social Justice
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(07-16-2022, 10:17 PM)CM1999 Wrote: I am hoping these are two quick questions...

If someone has quite a few LawShelf courses (and no GenEd yet, if that matters) and they would want to transfer as many as possible toward a degree...is there a school and degree that is best for that?   --I saw the equivalency guide for Excelsior but I also noticed that the Lib Arts degree has no 'free elective' slots and it looks like someone else was told that they wont work in a TESU Lib Arts degree....

Are there degree plans at either school that have a significant number of Free Elective slots?   --I'm having a very hard time finding degree plans for Excelsior, their website is kind of vague so if someone has a link to plans that look more like what you can find on TESU, I'd love to see it!

Excelsior does not call their free electives "free electives" so that's why you're not seeing space - they call them "Applied Professional or other Arts & Sciences" or something along those lines.

EC's BLS degree has space for 60cr of free electives; TESU's BALS only has 30cr of free electives.  So this is why it may be a better option to go with EC if you have a lot of Free Elective courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[quote pid='371940' dateline='1658076102']

Excelsior does not call their free electives "free electives" so that's why you're not seeing space - they call them "Applied Professional or other Arts & Sciences" or something along those lines.

EC's BLS degree has space for 60cr of free electives; TESU's BALS only has 30cr of free electives.  So this is why it may be a better option to go with EC if you have a lot of Free Elective courses.
[/quote]

OHHHH!   Thank you for clarifying this!  that makes a lot of sense.
Just a quick question on these courses.    If someone has extensive knowledge on some of these topics, is watching the videos required or can you go straight to the test and test out?   The reason I ask is that I have been both insurance licensed and securities licensed, and I have worked in the mortgage industry for a long time.    I took some practice exams on those topics and aced them and know the subject matter very well.    I just wanted to ask if there is anything that requires you to have watched the videos before obtaining credit.  

Thanks!
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
(07-19-2022, 06:53 PM)NC Coach Wrote: Just a quick question on these courses.    If someone has extensive knowledge on some of these topics, is watching the videos required or can you go straight to the test and test out?   The reason I ask is that I have been both insurance licensed and securities licensed, and I have worked in the mortgage industry for a long time.    I took some practice exams on those topics and aced them and know the subject matter very well.    I just wanted to ask if there is anything that requires you to have watched the videos before obtaining credit.  

Thanks!

I have specific experience in ERISA and went through the questions without watching the videos.  I did pass the course.  Of course, I have experience in field.  Which courses are you thinking of testing?
(07-20-2022, 02:06 AM)BrianFallon Wrote: I have specific experience in ERISA and went through the questions without watching the videos.  I did pass the course.  Of course, I have experience in field.  Which courses are you thinking of testing?

Good to know.   I was thinking of probably anything related to mortgage, insurance (including the Medicare one), and financial planning as I either work or have worked in those fields and tried a few of the self-quizzes and aced them in all those subjects, as well as business organizations.

I figure I could easily test out of 5 or 6, possibly more, with my knowledge from work-related training.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
(07-20-2022, 05:46 AM)NC Coach Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 02:06 AM)BrianFallon Wrote: I have specific experience in ERISA and went through the questions without watching the videos.  I did pass the course.  Of course, I have experience in field.  Which courses are you thinking of testing?

Good to know.   I was thinking of probably anything related to mortgage, insurance (including the Medicare one), and financial planning as I either work or have worked in those fields and tried a few of the self-quizzes and aced them in all those subjects, as well as business organizations.

I figure I could easily test out of 5 or 6, possibly more, with my knowledge from work-related training.

I did the sample questions for each of the modules.  I'm toying with adding a Criminal Justice degree because I have a background in investigations and wrapped up Basics of Criminal Law and White Collar Crime last night without doing the videos.  Of course, I have 15 years of experience in those fields - so I'd hope I could pass the exams.  The first one - ERISA took a minute for the credit to award - it was pending that voice audit for two or three days but While Collar Crime and Basics of Criminal Law both awarded the credit within a few minutes.

I think you could give it a shot because it's designed to provide a way to earn credit for what you already know - what I believe is the very essence of an alt learning.  I know some folks take alt credits to fill a spot on the degree plan and that's just fine, but if you have that experience - I say you go for it.

LawShelf IS new, so I'd recommend taking what fits your degree plan and transcripting it PDQ before the Big 3 clamp down on it.    At $35 and potentially UL credit - I'm willing to guinea pig how TESU transcripts it.
[-] The following 2 users Like BrianFallon's post:
  • NC Coach, TopHatWombat
(05-20-2022, 09:45 AM)Michelle779 Wrote: BUMP

Did anyone guinea pig these for TESU's Liberal Studies degree? I sent an email to academic advising a few days ago but I haven't heard back yet. I'm thinking their classes might be considered business electives and wouldn't work for a BALS.

How did you send TESU the transcript?  Did you use Credly or the Parchment service offered via Lawshelf.
(07-12-2022, 12:21 PM)shaas Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 10:10 AM)Kab Wrote: Somebody know which courses are accepted by EC without a problem, even as electives?
Target degree business administration or psychology.

https://lawshelf.com/assets/pdf/Excelsior.pdf 

Many of our courses are in the business administration category.

Do we have a listing for TESU? I've noticed that there's a link to a "course equivalencies" page, but it just leads to the provider directory at TESU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • NC Coach

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LawShelf = Arts & Sciences ??? NBM123 6 1,031 10-18-2022, 10:28 PM
Last Post: alsimko
  Discussion - Study.com difference between practice tests and actual exam gremlinbrawler 14 4,820 12-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Last Post: rowan555
  Study.com holiday discussion yb1 2 995 11-30-2016, 10:39 PM
Last Post: yb1