Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Least Math/Most Testing
Hi all!

My DH has now jumped back on the higher ed bandwagon to motivate our struggling DS, but has some pretty strong feelings about it.   DH knows he wants either TESU or COSC, so we can rule out EC.   Other than that, here are his preferences:

-Fewest math or statistics-related classes possible.  
-Prefers CLEP/DSST as frequently as possible, but will end up with some other options.
-Low cost is strongly preferred
-He has worked for years in sales/marketing, but is afraid of a business degree due to the math.

My initial reaction was just liberal arts or general studies, but I'd love some other thoughts about low math/low money, but still getting a meaningful degree for someone in business.

What do you think?  No idea too crazy and if you have a degree plan, I'll take that too!   (If not, don't worry!)

Thanks!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • suzycupcake
Does he have any certifications or credits to start with?

I would say that if he doesn't want a Business degree, in the sales and marketing areas, a degree in Communications or English might also work.  

Here's the TESU BA in Communications, which is test-out-able.

I would say the cheapest options:
1) Take as many free courses as possible (10cr total)
2) Take CLEP exams through Modern States (especially the 6cr courses like College Comp w/Essay, College Math, English Lit, etc. - more bang for their buck this way, fewer tests to take)
3) Apply for and use the Study.com scholarship
4) Use Shmoop (you'll need it for at least 1 course anyway, so do a bunch)
5) Take Saylor exams

As for math, I'm going to say that the lowest level math he can take (choose 1):
Shmoop - Finite Math or Geometry (my DD struggles in Algebra, but LOVES Geometry)
CLEP - College Math
DSST/TECEP - Math for Liberal Arts
Study.com - MAT 97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning or MAT 102: College Mathematics or GEOM 101: Intro to Geometry

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BA in Communications.xlsx (Size: 50.71 KB / Downloads: 14)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • davewill
Good info!!! I don't think he had considered alternate math options, but "finite" math sounds somehow less intimidating. I also think that communications could easily work for someone who has spent so much time with sales/marketing.

Regarding his credits, I think he has roughly 15-25. He has a few B&M credits and then sat in on a few CLEPS with me years ago. BUT since he hates school so much, he didn't save any of his transcript or testing info, so his job this week is to dig it all up so I can make a complete plan.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
TESU BALS with concentration in General Management or Communications. Possibly HR Management but I'm not sure if that would require real classes.

Or COSC General Studies with concentration in Organizational Leadership, HR, or Communications.

They are so flexible outside the AOS, so he could go quickly with CLEP/DSST.

(02-08-2018, 06:05 PM)Ideas Wrote: TESU BALS with concentration in General Management or Communications. Possibly HR Management but I'm not sure if that would require real classes.

Or COSC General Studies with concentration in Organizational Leadership, HR, or Communications.

They are so flexible outside the AOS, so he could go quickly with CLEP/DSST.

Oooooh...  I like the BALS General Management... could be a way to keep the business side of things there, but a little lighter.

I brought up COSC ... he he he of course.... and I think that'll depend on how many online classes he needs total.
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
TESU BALS
- General Management can't be tested out of (no Change Management available)
- Communication will be more expensive (Mass Comm II, Intercultural Comm only available at CSU-G), not sure if they will take Study.com's Digital Marketing for the Comm in the Digital Age requirement
- HRM can't be tested out of (Change Mgmt, Soc of Work not available)

The BA in Comm is actually easier and cheaper than the BALS w/Concentration in Comm, so skip that one.

Maybe the BSPS? With lots of business courses required, but able to be tested out of, and the math requirement isn't there.

Honestly, I think BA in Comm is a good bet for sales and marketing people. They don't usually require a BSBA for those types of jobs.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
  • Ideas
If we had a reliable source for many of the UL Psych courses that we lost at study, Psych is a good option for sales/marketing. You know the ol' "I really understand people" line. At least it worked for me for many years.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
[-] The following 1 user Likes originalamyj's post:
  • burbuja0512
(02-08-2018, 09:43 PM)originalamyj Wrote: If we had a reliable source for many of the UL Psych courses that we lost at study, Psych is a good option for sales/marketing. You know the ol' "I really understand people" line. At least it worked for me for many years.

We do!!!  You can still do the Psych degree, you just need to use Coopersmith for some of the courses instead of Study.com.  A little more expensive, but not terribly ($150/course).
  • burbuja0512
No matter his path, he's looking at 1 math minimum. I took the course at TESU called Mathematics for Liberal Arts (roughly 8th grade/pre algebra) and it was fine. I was too afraid to try and test out of College Math using CLEP, BUT there is now a DSST that mirrors what I did in my class. If he wants an exam, that would be my suggestion. If that's the only math he wants, it will rule out some but certainly not all degrees. If he chooses something that needs College Algebra, that is CONSIDERABLY HIGHER than the math for liberal arts (think "2 levels higher") and if it requires Precal, ,that's 3. Statistics, if required, can be done through DSST - which I PASSED- using Khan Academy's free course. I have never taken algebra and don't plan to lol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,700 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU BA MATH plan - feedback appreciated MeOldChina 8 2,885 06-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: MeOldChina
  Easiest Math Class for TESU BALS? Kickedthehabit2 3 1,417 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC gen ed classes, from SL or credit by testing pluggingalong 10 2,622 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: randomatom
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,365 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Excelsior Math Reqs Iamtehking 1 1,187 05-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Kima
  TESU Math & CS AOS Degree Plan Yenisei 12 2,961 04-06-2018, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Math for TESU BSBA Finance (MAT121 or MAT119) Gloddy 8 2,089 03-21-2018, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
  Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP + College Math CLEP ? Silly_Me 6 2,507 03-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: triforce828
  TESU requiring more math now? Ideas 6 1,648 02-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Ideas