Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing my Job questions!
Your new job is to find another job. Try practicing your interviewing skills with friends and bosses at work if possible. Find someone who interviews a lot of people and ask them to interview you. Every interviewer has his/her own style so be sure to be adaptable.
Good luck and remember that 6 months goes really fast.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I agree it's easier to get a job when you have a job. You definitely can be more engaging in interviews. But the downside is you have to take days off for interviews and that can create added stress at your existing job. When you have to face your boss the day after an interview, you just know your boss has that sixth sense that you're looking for another job.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
To the point that your boss knows you're looking. He'd be a fool not to think that everyone is looking. The offer of severance is a hook to keep you engaged, but you don't owe them the full time, just like they don't feel like they need to offer you lifetime employment. Having gone through a few layoffs and bouncing back and receiving multiple offers, I second most of the advice here, such as finding a job is your job, updating, networking, etc. However, there are some key pieces that don't show up on the zig zigglar type methodologies of job hunting. #1. If you have a job, your attitude is more relaxed. Your goal is to have a solid offer the first day your severance starts. That's the best case scenario. You need to look at this as an opportunity to put some extra money in your pocket, not a problem that needs to be dealt with. #2. Get the audio version of "Acing the Interview". It's a little annoying, and the author is a little redundant, but I got 2 jobs based on the excellent answers I gave to interview questions. #3. Work on your stories. (look up SOAR stories) You need to have well rehearsed stories of your things you did, and know what they're asking in the interview. When they say tell me about a time where you had a deadline you couldn't meet. Do NOT try to change the question. Answer the question they are really asking: Are you good at communicating? Can you identify problems and roadblocks before they happen? Do you handle stressful situations? I work for a Fortune 100 company in the building that does the interviewing for candidates. We've hired about 1,000 people in the last month. Far and away the story I hear is that the guy with the flawless resume but that interviews poorly gets bumped, or offered a more junior position, and the guy they loved in the interview gets the good job. Also, check out glassdoor.com Know what the position pays, and what you should get. This may be an option for you to dramatically increase your take home pay. Good luck. Remember, opportunity, not a problem. I used to be scared to death of my job, and of my boss. I had a perfect year and made the company millions and got laid off. 1 year later, the same company hired me back for double the money, and keep offering me jobs. I'm a new man because of the experience.
I don't think his boss will care if he is looking for another job. That is only an issue when you aren't given a pink slip.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Stay Sane in a World That's Losing It's Mind LevelUP 0 386 06-04-2023, 01:42 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Questions re: ethics and computer network retraining SweetSecret 2 1,007 03-27-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  FREE Udemy - PMP 2020 Practice tests - 6th Edition - 600 questions bjcheung77 2 1,165 01-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: doom
  FREE Udemy - PMP Practice tests 6th Edition - 500 questions+explanations bjcheung77 7 1,723 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Weird interview questions Sparklette 10 2,407 03-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Homeschool 4th Grade Curriculum Questions... mrs.b 21 2,454 04-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Last Post: mrs.b
  Company Name Trademark Questions taylor 3 1,353 03-12-2013, 02:14 AM
Last Post: taylor
  Editing and other questions 29palms 2 1,181 08-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Last Post: NAP
  Losing Motivation plutoon 17 2,037 09-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Programming Questions laoshijeff 13 2,261 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Last Post: scorched