Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MBA Update
Hi all,

I've been pretty quiet for a while and thought that I would give an update on MBA progress. For those of you who are reading this and wondering if CLEP/DSST's will give you what it takes to go into a difficult graduate-level program, the answer is a resounding YES. In my case, the business basics that I learned through testing and at COSC, especially when combined with my real-world experience were more than sufficient to handle my current course load.

I am SO glad that my MBA is only two years long or I don't know how I would actually finish. I absolutely love the program and not only have I learned an incredible amount in business matters that directly relate to my career interests, but several months ago, I used the MBA progress + experience to leverage my way into another position in my company related to international business, which is literally my dream job.

All this being said, the sacrifice involved in the masters program is pretty intense, especially combined with my new job responsibilities and increased travel. (except now my travel is all over the world!) Ha ha.. not to mention kids and DH, life is a little bit hectic. Thank goodness for advances in make-up that covers dark under-eye circles because I do not sleep anymore.. he he he.

CLEP testing really got me started on having higher expectations regarding education and I believe this attitude not only has affected me, but also my children. I realized while studying for tests that if I just gave up some TV or internet-surfing time, I could use those extra moments to study a few things and rather than knowing all about American Idol, I would get college credits that would mean a better future. I'm so glad to see the kids learning more and changing their leisure time activities to education apps on the iPad and learning languages on CD and internet.

So... this post is a bit of a ramble, just wanted to check in and let everyone know how it's going. I'm almost a year into the MBA and still have a full year to go. According to my schedule, I will graduate in August of 2013. It's a totally full schedule and I only get a break for Christmas and Easter week. I am so so so glad that I knew about CLEP/DSST to help expedite the undergrad or I don't think I would have ever considered a masters!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Burbuja,

It's so exciting to hear of your educational and professional adventures. In a comic, of all places, a character quoted something like, "Half of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." Isn't it amazing that giving up something as minor, but time consuming, as TV and Internet fun time has put you on such a fascinating path? Congratulations on the new job. That you're modelling such behavior for your children is an even greater achievement. :hurray:
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Great update! It is so nice to hear how everything is going for you and your family. You have had a lot of positive changes (except for the lack of sleep!) in such a short time. Congratulations on all of your progress! We'll be looking forward to more good news with school.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Scarlett, I'm so glad to hear you are happy with your choice. I know it is a very demanding, challenging program but you are certainly up for the task. I too felt that CLEP/DSST experience helped me with my undergrad and grad programs. I do reference material I learned from studying for DSST exams about once a month. I totally understand the lack of sleep and lost family time. My family has been very supportive and understanding and while like you I'm glad I did improve my education, I'm looking so forward to being done with school next May. I think that when you get to the end it gets harder because you know you are coming down to the wire. I wish you the best of luck and know you will be successful. It is already paying off with your job. Just try to take some for yourself now and then and relax a little, maybe get a massage and have a glass of wine!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Ha ha ha Marianne - you definitely know me. I never skip the massage or the glass of wine... especially the wine Wink

I don't have time for myself quite yet other than airport and airplane time, but I am learning to enjoy that too. I used to hate it, but now I enjoy the fact that when I'm running through a busy airport, I can't always read email, take calls, or do homework. Will be going to Japan in one week so I'll get plenty of travel-alone time!!

I can't believe you'll be graduating in May. It feels so far away, but time flies as we get older, so it really won't take that long!!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Dear Scarlett, I knew you could do it. You completely hit this one out of the park. Sort of "Super Woman" like. I do not know how you do it. You have to have great support at home. Even with that you still have to make the decision to just get it done. And you my dear have made the decision. Congrats on all your hard work.

ps. How many more classes do you have???
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
I guess it's consensus, you are a machine. Great job on all you've accomplished!

Since you are in international business, find a product you can export to China (1.3 billion people) and you can take a long deserved vacation.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
@Alleycat - I'll be exactly at the one year mark at the end of August so I'm not counting classes... just time. The classes are in 8 week blocks and I get (I think) two weeks off over Christmas break and I got one week off for Spring Break. So, if all goes well, I'll be totally done next August!!

@Taylor... I just started working with China. I think that there is still a lot to be done, so no vacation yet, but hopefully within a year or two!
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Your life, while busy, sounds fascinating. Imagine. Business with China and Central and South American countries. It sounds so intriguing. I live vicariously through your posts. I had considered going to COSC in large part because its math requirements weren't quite as rigorous as TESC's. (I think that you and I share similar issues with mathematical courses.) I have a question about math and your masters degree. So far has the fact that you didn't do pre-calc/trig/or calc caused you any problems with your course work? When I FINALLY do my math, I know it will be a struggle. Moments after I finish the test or course, it will all be blanked out of my brain. If I go on to a masters, I want to know how big an issue it will be. Thanks.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 696 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Govt. Update on Masks LevelUP 54 1,047 02-11-2022, 06:13 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Covid Update Alpha 24 2,334 02-02-2022, 11:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Update! dewisant 3 1,137 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Just a quick update on the Rebel... rebel100 8 1,765 03-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: rebel100
  update forum software to vbulletin v4.2.1 BrandeX 0 1,611 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Last Post: BrandeX
  MBA Update burbuja0512 10 1,528 04-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Update on my MBA progress ryoder 13 2,073 10-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Progress Update Lydia 8 1,673 08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Cameron16
  Quick update barbara2bba 2 1,295 05-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Last Post: OnMyWay