Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPA Program Questions and Concerns
Let me know what they say, I think I want to go that route.
Tedium Wrote:I've been doing some volunteer work for some non-profits lately, and I think that is a field that I would really like to pursue, career and degree-wise. An MPA appeals to me so much more than an MBA. I like the versatility of it. If not working for a non-profit organization, I could use it getting a job in the government. I have no interest going into the private business sector.

I'm looking at some programs now, and I'm a little hesitant. I'm looking for openish admissions and no GRE.

Wilmington University has a Masters of Management w/ MPA concentration. They are about $444 per credit, so they are not the cheapest and they are not NASPAA accredited. I don't like that it's not a straight MPA, so that is a turn off. Classes are 7 or 8 weeks, so the time is right. Master of Science in Management - Wilmington University

Probably the best looking one is University of Illinois at Springfield. It is NASPAA accredited, but it is the most expensive program I'm looking at. I can't seem to find much about class length, so I'm thinking that it may take the full 2 years to get. That's a huge negative for me. But it has the best name. The MPA Online – Department of Public Administration - University of Illinois Springfield - UIS

Here's where it gets a little messy. I think my favorite of all is American Public University. The class length and price are right where I need them to be. I can double up and get a MS Emergency and Disaster Management in the same time and for the same price that it would take for me to finish the MPA at UIS. Or I can just pick up the grad. certificate. They also have a grad. certificate specifically in Non-Profit Management. It is not NASPAA accredited, but the big red flag for me is that it is a for-profit university. Online Master's Degree in Public Administration | American Public University

I've done the research looking online at various non-profit job listings and government listings, and I don't see any specification for NASPAA accredited degrees, so I don't think that will be a big issue. I've even looked at some university job listings and saw no requirement for NASPAA. I think I will be reasonably safe in the job market without that.

My big concern is that APU is for-profit. I know it's one of the good ones, and if I were going for history or just EM I would have zero issue with the school. I don't know how employers view an MPA from there though. I've gone on linkedin and checked to see where graduates of the program were working. Some were military or other federal or local government agencies, some were in private consultation. Are there any other sites where I can search by degree and school to see where graduates are working? Is there a more effective search string I can use?

Do you guys think I'm making too much of the for-profit issue? Should I just go for the cheaper degree and continue gaining my volunteer experience? I know the school is not University of Pheonix or DeVry, but I don't want to have to explain myself for the rest of my life.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help/advice.

My suggestion is to not underestimate your candidacy. Initially, when I started applying to grad schools (and nursing schools) I picked low hanging fruit- however, then, for fun, I started applying at harder and harder schools. I was accepted into all of them. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but I'm saying that *just like* when a person first comes here and thinks there is *no way* they could possibly ever test out of an ENTIRE college course....and they do.....and then they do it again, and again, and again....the same is true for college admissions. I think you're probably over-estimating how hard it is to get accepted into grad school. It's true that there may be GRE requirements (which I avoided) but I'd seriously encourage you to choose the program(s) with a blind eye toward the application process and then go forward.
You know, I'm with Jennifer on this one. I think you should pause and reach out to your top choices. there should be a way into that Arkansas program and I think you should fully explore that before embarking on any course that you yourself might perceive as lesser or as settling. You will probably only do this once, make it worthwhile to yourself. Heck, study a little and take the GRE, you might get lucky and nail it.

I am not unhappy with my WGU MBA, it was affordable, fast, and reputable. Had I known however that 2 years post graduation the needle would still be where it is, had I known I had that kind of time, I would likely have chosen differently. I let impatience drive the decision, there were options out there such as University of Florida that would have been doable had I been willing to take a few specific courses at the local CC. I believe now that in addition to becoming masters prepared, I could have used an infusion of "name brand" as well. In the scheme of a 70 year life what is 12-18 months of courses to get into a masters that you really want to pursue? Same with the GRE, you know how to study for a test, that's a given...study for a few weeks and go rock the GRE.

Re-asses in May/June and if you no longer feel it worthwhile opt for the easier path.

I feel your struggle, I was signed up with AMU/APU at one point, I completed a grad course at WNMU, I did the pre-screen assessment for Chadron's MBA, and kicked the tires on a BUNCH of programs (Harvard Extensions MS, UF MBA, ENMU MBA, etc). It's a tough decision with many variables. Do something that is,to you, worthwhile.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
@cookderosa and rebel100: I know you guys are right. Arkansas State is the best program for the money and name-wise, and I shouldn't be too scared to apply. I like their curriculum, too. Like Laterbloomer suggested, I can always file an appeal, and it sounds like they would be willing to take a second look at people.

I'll just get those pre-reqs out of the way and rack up a lot of volunteer time. Also, if anyone else is interested, I found some graduate grant writing certificates that would be an awesome add-on to any MPA. It's a much needed skill, and the certificates are only 9 and 12 hours respectively, so they won't put you in hole too much.

FHSU - Earn a certificate in grant proposal writing and program evaluation - Fort Hays State University

and its 8-week long little brother - university grant writing certification program - Fort Hays State University

OR

University of Missouri Online - online.missouri.edu/degreeprograms/grantsmanship/index.aspx

I've e-mailed Dr. Campbell already at FHSU and he seems really nice. He says it's an open enrollment certificate, so you don't have to be degree seeking at FHSU to get it. I only asked because some of their certificates are considered to be an add-on for an FHSU degree. Also, the FHSU MPS in Social Entrepreneurship is basically an MPA, but it's mostly Sociology courses.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
Tedium Wrote:@cookderosa and rebel100: I know you guys are right. Arkansas State is the best program for the money and name-wise, and I shouldn't be too scared to apply. I like their curriculum, too. Like Laterbloomer suggested, I can always file an appeal, and it sounds like they would be willing to take a second look at people.

I'll just get those pre-reqs out of the way and rack up a lot of volunteer time. Also, if anyone else is interested, I found some graduate grant writing certificates that would be an awesome add-on to any MPA. It's a much needed skill, and the certificates are only 9 and 12 hours respectively, so they won't put you in hole too much.

FHSU - Earn a certificate in grant proposal writing and program evaluation - Fort Hays State University

and its 8-week long little brother - university grant writing certification program - Fort Hays State University

OR

University of Missouri Online - online.missouri.edu/degreeprograms/grantsmanship/index.aspx

I've e-mailed Dr. Campbell already at FHSU and he seems really nice. He says it's an open enrollment certificate, so you don't have to be degree seeking at FHSU to get it. I only asked because some of their certificates are considered to be an add-on for an FHSU degree. Also, the FHSU MPS in Social Entrepreneurship is basically an MPA, but it's mostly Sociology courses.

Do either of the FHSU programs issue graduate level credit? It looks like the first is on-campus and it sounded like the second didn't actually result in a graduate certificate. I could have easily misread these, and it probably doesn't matter for most people.

The Missouri program definitely looks like it results in a graduate cert.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:Do either of the FHSU programs issue graduate level credit? It looks like the first is on-campus and it sounded like the second didn't actually result in a graduate certificate. I could have easily misread these, and it probably doesn't matter for most people.

The Missouri program definitely looks like it results in a graduate cert.

The first FHSU link gives you a certificate and 9 hours of undergraduate credit and is available online: "The Department of Sociology offers one of the few undergraduate grant proposal writing and program evaluation programs in the nation...This 9-credit hour certificate program is only available online." I was wrong about the grad certificate. I'm glad you caught that. I was thinking graduate certificate this entire time. All the courses are 600 level and I just assumed. That does, however, make the certificate cheaper. It does say "On Campus" at the top of the page, though. Maybe I should e-mail them about changing that.

The second FHSU link gives 10 CEUs, but it's two months long and self-paced. Once you score 70% or more on the final you get a certificate, also not graduate level. I didn't mean to imply this one was graduate level. I only mistakenly thought the first was. This is more of a professional development certificate, like a lot of the UC Extension certificates. It's only $175, so it's not a bad deal. I mentioned it because it was fast and cheap, and if that was all a person needed to be able to put on a resume for job or project advancement then I wanted them to know about it.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 314 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  UK Level 7/8 Diploma Questions bennyoftheD 22 2,266 03-10-2024, 02:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions for UofPeople and Liberty University graduates Randyb100 9 1,518 02-20-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,632 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
  I am looking for a budget online MBA program ranked among the top 50 in USA shrekr 51 15,460 01-15-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  ENEB & Mexican PhD Questions Lorvey 17 2,659 12-13-2023, 12:27 PM
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,277 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,635 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Sacramento State launches accelerated, fully online iMBA program LevelUP 7 1,206 09-04-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: datby98
Question Saylor starting an MBA program?! jch 40 4,363 09-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret