Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marine Officer?
Hello All,
I am really enjoying my internship down at the Capital. However, I am in the process of figuring out what my next step is career wise and, well the economy sucks! I have been looking for jobs and really haven't found a large market for a 17 year old with no experience in any field except for alfalfa.Wink So I was considering all my possibilities and found that I have all the qualifications to become a US Marine Officer (assuming I pass their tests etc). So what is your opinion? I would only sign up for 4 maybe 5 years and the pay starts at 40 Gs. Is that a good idea?

Thanks
Finished in December, 2008 with my BSBA from TESC

Current events dialogue @SamRust on Twitter
You're 17 with a bachelors?

Being an officer is an excellent choice; even for just the 4 years. In my opinion, military pay for enlisted isn't too shabby... and officers are treated/paid significantly better.

Military experience, in general, is a huge eye-opener on resumes. That's why I joined the Air Force, and I may become an officer eventually; in any other branch (besides the Army and Marines, no disrespect Wink).
Farmerboy Wrote:Hello All,
I am really enjoying my internship down at the Capital. However, I am in the process of figuring out what my next step is career wise and, well the economy sucks! I have been looking for jobs and really haven't found a large market for a 17 year old with no experience in any field except for alfalfa.Wink So I was considering all my possibilities and found that I have all the qualifications to become a US Marine Officer (assuming I pass their tests etc). So what is your opinion? I would only sign up for 4 maybe 5 years and the pay starts at 40 Gs. Is that a good idea?

Thanks

for farmer boy..

army officer... national guard..

www.1-800-GO-GUARD.com | Officer Careers

go finance officer being that you have a bus degree

i would suggest you do this program called State OCS

www.1-800-GO-GUARD.com | Officers - Requirements

for you i would suggest you do a program called STATE OCS

www.1-800-GO-GUARD.com | Officer Candidate School

Where: your state’s Regional Training Institute, or RTI
When: takes place on weekends—this is a 16-month program of one weekend a month, plus two two- week periods

during this period ... of 16 months.. you are non deployable. You'll also be able to enjoy many benefits such as them paying for grad school for you and using your GI BILL. After State OCS you would go to Officer Basic Course. I believe you have up to 18 months to do this. During this period you would also be non deployable. First things first.. you have to go to Basic Training first....

---

The other good method is ROTC which is typically reserved for college students and some grad school students. Good luck with it all...
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
Here is my 2 cent. Hold on............It's only 1 cent now but the market is closed for the day so I better get it out before I am down to nothing.

I was an enlisted Marine for 6 years from 85-91, so that you know where I am coming from. Enlisted boot camp was by far, the hardest 12 weeks of my life. they say OCS is even tougher. It is all tough for a reason. The Marine Corps is not making financial officers. The Marine Corps is making people that will lead our sons and daughters into battle. I was an aircraft mechanic and always wanted to be a pilot but didn't have the degree. The problem is, almost everyone else wants to be a pilot also. It is something like 1/30 get to go to flight school and 1/10 of those get to fly fighters.

I could go on with more about the pride of being a Marine but I am sure this alone will get bashed. There is no feeling in the world like the one when you are called a Marine for the first time. All of the branches have their own mission and everyone else can be proud of their branch. I am telling you now, the Marine Corps is the best!!!!!

That being said, you have to know what you are getting in for. Marines are usually the first in a fight and chances are you would be an infintry officer. I have been looking into the whole commissioning thing myself recently since I finished my last class for my Bachelor's, but I am too old. I think you could do well and be proud to be an officer in any of the branches, alot depends on what you want to do. Make sure you get plenty of advice and make an informed decision.

Good Luck,

Doug
Farmerboy, I have worked closely w/four of the five Services. I spent nine years as a pilot in the Navy. During the last three of those years, I was an instructor pilot in Pensacola and served with Coast Guard and Marine IPs. After nine years, I transferred to the Air Force, where I have served for the last 11 years. As far as the Army, I only have limited time working with them during a three year Pentagon tour. Clearly, each Service has its own culture which is drawn from its mission and history. Most will tell you that their Service is the best, but you should dig deeper to see if your "culture" fits theirs. Most of the Services (maybe all) have some form of Officer Aptitude Test (there are commercial study guides for these). Additionally, there are other aptitude tests for those interested in flying as a pilot or navigator. The current commitment for aviation is 10 years after wings (about a year), so that sounds like it doesn't fit into your plans. Let us know what you decide!
As a kid, to me, "Military" = "US Army", as most ignorant people still see it. I had the mentality that the entire military only accepted killing machines, and the mission was always kill and conquer. Also, that it was only an option if you did poorly in high school.

Now I'm 19, and I'm in the Air Force. I won't lie, I joined the Air Force because of the "chair force" stigma attached to it. I got what I wanted, sitting at a desk and reaping all of the benefits every branch offers, for less of the headache. Call it selfish or unpatriotic, but it's why I chose the Air Force. I knew I'd have the most time available for schooling, everybody I spoke to said the Air Force was the most laid back, etc... they were right.

Common Army/Marine deployments can be 1-2 years, and until recently, the Air Force rubbed our backs and treated us to 4 month deployments in hotel rooms in a non-combat environment.

You see where I am getting at, and I hope I don't get flamed. The Soldiers and Marines have more guts than I ever will, but I live by the motto of "work smarter, not harder".

Sorry for the ramble. :o
Thank you all for your replies!

The reason I am looking at the Marines is because I view them as the "elite" branch and feel that being able to put "Captain in the US Marine Corp" would really make me stand out. I also want to challenge myself! If I did a 4 year term, I would only be 21 or 22 when I get out. Not too many people have a bachleors and 4 years of service as an officer at that age!
Finished in December, 2008 with my BSBA from TESC

Current events dialogue @SamRust on Twitter
The US military forces are all "elite." Just ask any other nation. The Marines definitely have the coolest uniforms though and, more importantly, the best esprit de corps. Semper Fi! I think your parents should be very proud!
I'm curious just as I am sure others are, how did you get your bachelor's so early-on?
I know I am told old but are there any minimum age requirements?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Officer Packet HonuDiver 7 1,360 08-31-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  opinion on officer route? Zachcleigh 10 2,886 12-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  I have my BA however I'm still trying to get my CCAF for my officer packet 05478391 3 1,655 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Officer program Spencebr 16 3,185 12-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Last Post: pstreaV
  Tuition Assistance Slashed (if you are a Marine, it got destroyed) dcan 4 1,080 11-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Last Post: dcan
  Army Aviation Warrant Officer transfer credits? gshelley61 9 6,973 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Last Post: gshelley61
  Stay Enlisted or go Officer? CLEP101 35 10,158 01-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Last Post: LordRayner82
  Joining Navy As An Officer retake 6 2,478 03-31-2009, 11:46 PM
Last Post: LordRayner82
  Commissioned Officer as Proctor? HollyHill 2 1,750 03-31-2009, 12:36 AM
Last Post: JBjunior