Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bachelors plan for my son
Thanks for the incredibly detailed recommendations.  I'll figure out a way to present this to him.  If he bites, I'll pull his list of completed classes so this can be mapped out.

From what I recall Study.com is $200/month, auto-renews and allows one to "Pause".  If he starts mid-month, does that become his renewal date?  I just looked at Sophia.  A lot fewer class options.  Is it structured like Study.com?  I really liked Study's linear format totally dummy-proof.  Completing all the quizzes made it impossible to fail.

To confirm: For UMPI, it looks like he can transfer in up to 90 credits and has to take 30 there.

Last question, let's say he can't get his writing up to the next level, what would be the "Backup plan"?  I think I'm hearing TESU (it's more complex from a credits perspective+costs more).  Also, that final paper was not the easiest so writing skills can't be neglected.  Thank you
Sophia is really simple. Personally, i would do everything that you can use on Sophia first. Some courses can be finished in a matter of days. Others can be a little longer. They offer access to free tutoring on the math classes and maybe others, I’m not sure. So you can get help if you struggle in math. Once you max out what is useful on Sophia, then head over to Study for some upper level credits.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • LevelUP
(08-25-2022, 06:20 AM)jb111 Wrote: From what I recall Study.com is $200/month, auto-renews and allows one to "Pause".  If he starts mid-month, does that become his renewal date?
Yes. More accurately, I think it's a 30-day subscription. So, it'd be theoretically possible to pay twice in some calendar months and not at all in others.

Quote:  I just looked at Sophia.  A lot fewer class options.  Is it structured like Study.com?  I really liked Study's linear format totally dummy-proof.  Completing all the quizzes made it impossible to fail.
Sophia is its own thing. I suggest creating a free trial account to see what it's all about and how the courses are structured. That said, it's almost impossible to fail a Sophia course. There are 3 main ways to fail:

1. Not taking advantage of the open book nature when doing the milestones. Unless you have a very, very good memory, you will probably fail if you treat Sophia Milestones as closed-book exams.
  2. You have exceptional difficulty with the subject in question. Some people just can't wrap their heads around things like Algebra or Calculus, which is fine. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. But, if you can't pass a Sophia course, you probably won't be able to pass a traditional college course in the same subject either.
  3. Weird grading. For the Touchstones, the graders can be a bit... problematic at times. Luckily, you can revise, resubmit, and just plain dispute the grade(s) given. The more Touchstones a course has, the more of an impact weird grading will have on pass/fail. English Comp II (which your son doesn't need) is probably the worst for this.

Quote:To confirm: For UMPI, it looks like he can transfer in up to 90 credits and has to take 30 there.
Yes. They should be specific credits, as already stated, but he can transfer in up to 90 credits. 30 credits takes most people 2-3 sessions.

Quote:Last question, let's say he can't get his writing up to the next level, what would be the "Backup plan"?  I think I'm hearing TESU (it's more complex from a credits perspective+costs more).  Also, that final paper was not the easiest so writing skills can't be neglected.  Thank you
TESU would probably be a good backup plan. Excelsior would be cheaper than TESU, but they require 30 UL credits and that can require a lot of writing (even with alternate credit sources). TESU only requires 15 UL credits + the UL capstone, so there is significantly less writing, even for the BA History degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • LevelUP, Pikachu
(08-25-2022, 06:20 AM)jb111 Wrote: From what I recall Study.com is $200/month, auto-renews and allows one to "Pause".  If he starts mid-month, does that become his renewal date?  

Study's pause is a 30, 60, 90 day pause.  So, if you sign up Feb 10th it runs to March 10th monthly.  If you decide to take a break and want to pause on Feb 25th that pause doesn't go into effect until March (10th) - meaning it won't bill you for March.  If we assume you choose the 90 day pause (which would end June 10th and start billing you again) but decide you want to start back up again April 18th - Now the 18th will become your billing cycle (instead of the 10th)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 4 users Like allvia's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu, rachel83az, TwinMom
@jb111, To answer your questions: 1) Your backup plan is Excelsior and TESU, taken courses at UMPI at the UL can transfer into both (I recommend the BSLA or BALS for ease). Essentially, Sophia.org for lower level, Study.com for lower and upper level courses that can't be found elsewhere.

2) Study.com, you really need to go the "coupon code" way, here's a link to 30% off the first 3 months, so it'll be $140/month and you can get 6 credits. If you more, you can get $70/extra exam up to a max of 3 more, in total 5 lower level courses. I would not go for 5 UL unless you can handle it, I would 'mix & match' for best "comfort level".

Blah, forgot to attach the link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid371152
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • jb111, origamishuttle
Well, good news.  He (Adam) seems interested.  Lifeguarding is over next week so he can start soon.  Assuming Liberal Studies, would the the basic plan go like this? 1) Knock out all requirements Sophia can provide (LL), 2) Transfer all credits to Pierpoint for AA (take a class there?), 3) Apply/earn AA, 4) Finish requirements (inc UL) at SDC, 5) Transfer to UMPI, 6) Complete in 1-2 semesters and graduate.  Here is what he's completed so far (pretty much English and History reqs):
hlth 230 Princ of Nutrition

his 102 World Civ II
his 111 World Civ I
ede 11 English Composition Readiness
eng 111 College Comp I
eng 112 College Comp II
mus 225 History of Jazz
mus 121 Music in Society
sdv 100 College Success Skills (1 credit)
25 credits

His big fear is Math (sounds like Sophia is good for that).  Did someone say Adam needs more units from the community college?  Or can we combine the above with Sophia/SDC (and the final 30 units at UMPI)?  Thanks
(08-29-2022, 06:50 AM)jb111 Wrote: Well, good news.  He (Adam) seems interested.  Lifeguarding is over next week so he can start soon.  Assuming Liberal Studies, would the the basic plan go like this? 1) Knock out all requirements Sophia can provide (LL), 2) Transfer all credits to Pierpoint for AA (take a class there?), 3) Apply/earn AA, 4) Finish requirements (inc UL) at SDC, 5) Transfer to UMPI, 6) Complete in 1-2 semesters and graduate.  Here is what he's completed so far (pretty much English and History reqs):
hlth 230 Princ of Nutrition

his 102 World Civ II
his 111 World Civ I
ede 11 English Composition Readiness
eng 111 College Comp I
eng 112 College Comp II
mus 225 History of Jazz
mus 121 Music in Society
sdv 100 College Success Skills (1 credit)
25 credits

His big fear is Math (sounds like Sophia is good for that).  Did someone say Adam needs more units from the community college?  Or can we combine the above with Sophia/SDC (and the final 30 units at UMPI)?  Thanks

No need to take any classes at Pierpont. Refer back to rachel83az's post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid375376

As for a BLS at UMPI, he'll need to choose at least one minor (e.g., Management).
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • jb111

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 838 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  xamk Free Bachelors Degrees gams007 19 4,093 11-29-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,236 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Anyone have a backup plan for me? learningthehardway 16 1,477 06-19-2023, 07:14 AM
Last Post: learningthehardway
  New Liberty University Online Degree plan LevelUP 3 1,157 06-15-2023, 05:47 PM
  Affordable DEAC/NCCRS NA - Bachelors in Education bjcheung77 0 780 01-20-2022, 08:31 PM
  Degree Plan for BS in Information Technology BadBradsBBQ 35 6,546 04-23-2021, 05:20 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  History Bachelors...TESU or Exelsior??? tls7291 4 1,453 03-30-2019, 01:13 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  I need help with a degree plan the cheapest way possible for any BA Grant 3 1,441 02-07-2019, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Kristinz4