Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math 97
(01-11-2019, 02:02 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Easiest math courses that will work:

DSST/TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Math (this was very easy)
CLEP/Study.com College Math
DSST Fund of College Algebra (Intermediate Algebra basically)

Unfortunately, it's not likely that he could get any of those exam based tests completed in the next week or so to meet the deadline for March graduation.

So that just leaves the Study.com options. Like Math 102, 107, or 101 (College Math, Quantitative Literacy, or the College Algebra/Intermediate Algebra course). It sounds like the Intermediate Algebra course is out though based on his earlier comment.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(01-11-2019, 02:49 AM)Merlin Wrote:

Unfortunately, it's not likely that he could get any of those exam based tests completed in the next week or so to meet the deadline for March graduation.

So that just leaves the Study.com options. Like Math 102, 107, or 101 (College Math, Quantitative Literacy, or the College Algebra/Intermediate Algebra course). It sounds like the Intermediate Algebra course is out though based on his earlier comment.

Why couldn't he go take the Applied Liberal Arts Math DSST tomorrow?  If he's taken and passed Math 97, he can probably pass the DSST.  Now.  It's certainly worth a shot.  I found the TECEP to be the easiest math test I've taken in YEARS - easier than even ALEKS Beginning Algebra back when they had it for credit.

Study.com's courses may work as well - especially if you use the placement test to "test out" of a big portion.  Use the placement tests for both College Math and College Algebra to test out of as much as humanly possible.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-11-2019, 03:06 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Why couldn't he go take the Applied Liberal Arts Math DSST tomorrow?  If he's taken and passed Math 97, he can probably pass the DSST.  Now.  It's certainly worth a shot.  I found the TECEP to be the easiest math test I've taken in YEARS - easier than even ALEKS Beginning Algebra back when they had it for credit.

Study.com's courses may work as well - especially if you use the placement test to "test out" of a big portion.  Use the placement tests for both College Math and College Algebra to test out of as much as humanly possible.

I suppose he could, assuming he has access to a local test center, they are offering that test tomorrow, and he can get in on the list.

I know it varies, but every testing center I've ever gone to either had a specific schedule for test days or was open by appointment only, and you had to register well in advance for whatever day you intended to sit for exams. Pre-registration was also required since space was limited and not all tests are available on each day (some did CLEP on one day and DSST on another for example). Then again, I am sure there are some test facilities that are open every day without a wait list, so that could be a good option if he can find one.

Though he also mentioned that he struggled with Math 97, so it might not necessarily be a course he could just sit down and take tomorrow without prep. Particularly if he barely passed the SDC version. It shouldn't take that much prep time though if it is as easy as the TECEP.

Personally, I found I could get through an SDC course much more quickly than the time it took me to study for a CLEP/DSST exam. But I haven't tried to take any math related exams. And my experience wouldn't count anyway since I have dyscalculia so most math tests are a struggle for me, even when I know the subject matter.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(01-10-2019, 09:03 PM)Nodaclu Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 08:21 PM)Merlin Wrote: Math 105 sounds like a proper College Algebra course, which is probably going to be a bit rough for Nodaclu without taking the time to review earlier algebra courses, which he won't have time for.

Considering that I struggled to even pass Math 97, that's a bit of an understatement. Wink

I have another appointment with my advisor next week, but I don't think I'm going to wait that long. Back in the day, I found Geometry easier than Algebra, and I'm also going to check out the SDC Quantitative Literacy class. I've been in the business world for so long, that I'm hoping it might help me get through that one faster.

I had to really push my advisor to allow the SDC/UExcel Social Psychology tandem to count as completing the 6 unit requirement, so I don't know that I'll be able to successfully petition him again to accept Math 97.

That doesn't mean I won't try though... Big Grin

Better safe than sorry I suppose. My advisor told me to notify the registrar that this last class would come in late, but it would come in, and they will likely allow it. Of course, I don't know how late, "late" actually is. Wink

(01-10-2019, 08:46 PM)TexasTink Wrote: I hate math and especially algebra and beyond.  I ended up taking Geometry 101 for my new math course.  Having done the Math 97 course, the Geometry was about a third completed.  I did most/all of the studying for it in one day and then took the final immediately.  (I finished the final at 12:15am!)  The final was a bit rough - I'm not entirely sure if it was because I was brain dead at that point or because the test itself was rough.  Either way, I passed.  So it's doable to do it quickly if needed and it will work for my requirement for the BALS.  So that's another option for those who hate algebra and the like.  It was decently tolerable.

Will TESU accept the SDC Geometry 101 course for the GE requirement? The SDC / TESU equivalencies web page shows it transferring in as MAT-260 to TESU:

https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab

...which isn't listed as an acceptable class under the GE Quantitiative Literacy requirements on the TESU website:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after2

Yes, the SDC Geometry 101 will work for the Quantitative Literacy requirement.  I made sure to check with my academic advisor and it is pre-planned into my degree for that slot!
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
(01-11-2019, 07:02 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 03:06 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

I suppose he could, assuming he has access to a local test center, they are offering that test tomorrow, and he can get in on the list.

I know it varies, but every testing center I've ever gone to either had a specific schedule for test days or was open by appointment only, and you had to register well in advance for whatever day you intended to sit for exams. Pre-registration was also required since space was limited and not all tests are available on each day (some did CLEP on one day and DSST on another for example). Then again, I am sure there are some test facilities that are open every day without a wait list, so that could be a good option if he can find one.

Though he also mentioned that he struggled with Math 97, so it might not necessarily be a course he could just sit down and take tomorrow without prep. Particularly if he barely passed the SDC version. It shouldn't take that much prep time though if it is as easy as the TECEP.

Personally, I found I could get through an SDC course much more quickly than the time it took me to study for a CLEP/DSST exam. But I haven't tried to take any math related exams. And my experience wouldn't count anyway since I have dyscalculia so most math tests are a struggle for me, even when I know the subject matter.

Testing centers are all different - some require scheduling in advance, while others let you walk in.

Applied Liberal Arts Math is literally the easiest math test I've taken in my life as an adult.  There were things like fractions, percentages, and very basic algebra I stuff.  After taking Math 97, I think he could easily pass the exam.  I think it's probably 6th-8th grade level math.  Now, yes, if you have dyscalculia, or it's been 25 years since you've cracked open a math book, it might be a bit more difficult - but really, I think it's crazy easy, and I'm not a math whiz by any stretch.  Since Nodaclu did take a math course recently, his chances of passing this exam are very high.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-03-2019, 07:09 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 06:51 PM)TexasTink Wrote: Do you know when they revised it?

If this class doesn't work for me, I just want to be sure that TESU will accept all other SDC math courses for the Quantitative Literacy requirement?

SDC refused to put it on my transcript because TESU supposedly no longer accepts it.  So it didn't even get sent over.  If I want it added to the transcript, I have to specifically tell them to include it from now on.

Hmm, when did SDC start filtering transcripts? There are a lot of SDC courses that TESU doesn't officially reflect in a transfer agreement yet they do accept. I would expect them to always send over everything since even if TESU doesn't accept it now, they can change their mind at any time.

If it were me, I'd ask Study.com to just send everything. You paid for it, you should be able to send it. If TESU doesn't accept it, you can either ask for clarification or challenge since it was accepted until recently, or just accept it and move on to another course, but you'll know for sure one way or the other.

If TESU doesn't take it you could always try taking the Liberal Arts Math TECEP since you already passed Math 97 and that TECEP should cover similar material. SDC also offers a specific study course for that TECEP that you can use as a refresher if needs be.

I have math issues myself, so I can understand where you're coming from. I ended up using ALEKS since you can work up to the level you need, up to College Algebra & Precalculus anyway. I think pretty much anyone can earn math credits that way.

Alternatively, you could try to take one of the other easier math courses on Study.com, like Math 102 (comes in as MAT-102: General Math I), though I'm not 100% sure what math you need for your degree. Next easiest would probably be Math 101 (comes in as MAT-115: Intermediate Algebra).
So Mat-101 College Algebra from Study.com will not fulfilling the Quantitative Literacy requirement for TESU for the BABA General Mgmt track? I know it states needing college algebra and statistics at the end of the document. Does that mean I need to take MAT-107 instead to fulfill the Quantitative Literacy requirement?

(03-16-2019, 03:18 PM)Acam10 Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 07:09 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 06:51 PM)TexasTink Wrote: Do you know when they revised it?

If this class doesn't work for me, I just want to be sure that TESU will accept all other SDC math courses for the Quantitative Literacy requirement?

SDC refused to put it on my transcript because TESU supposedly no longer accepts it.  So it didn't even get sent over.  If I want it added to the transcript, I have to specifically tell them to include it from now on.

Hmm, when did SDC start filtering transcripts? There are a lot of SDC courses that TESU doesn't officially reflect in a transfer agreement yet they do accept. I would expect them to always send over everything since even if TESU doesn't accept it now, they can change their mind at any time.

If it were me, I'd ask Study.com to just send everything. You paid for it, you should be able to send it. If TESU doesn't accept it, you can either ask for clarification or challenge since it was accepted until recently, or just accept it and move on to another course, but you'll know for sure one way or the other.

If TESU doesn't take it you could always try taking the Liberal Arts Math TECEP since you already passed Math 97 and that TECEP should cover similar material. SDC also offers a specific study course for that TECEP that you can use as a refresher if needs be.

I have math issues myself, so I can understand where you're coming from. I ended up using ALEKS since you can work up to the level you need, up to College Algebra & Precalculus anyway. I think pretty much anyone can earn math credits that way.

Alternatively, you could try to take one of the other easier math courses on Study.com, like Math 102 (comes in as MAT-102: General Math I), though I'm not 100% sure what math you need for your degree. Next easiest would probably be Math 101 (comes in as MAT-115: Intermediate Algebra).
So Mat-101 College Algebra from Study.com will not fulfilling the Quantitative Literacy requirement for TESU for the BABA General Mgmt track? I know it states needing college algebra and statistics at the end of the document. Does that mean I need to take MAT-107 instead to fulfill the Quantitative Literacy requirement?
I’m just confused I guess. For the BSBA General Mgmt degree from TESU do I need to take Mat-107, which will transfer in as Mat-119 or not? I see on the TESU site College Algebra and Statistics will fulfill Quantitative literacy but do I need the TESU class transfer to Mat-119 specifically? My goal was to only take Mat-101. College Algebra and Statistics 101 for all my math to complete the BSBA Gen. Mgmt degree. Do I need a third math (Mat-107)?
If you want to use Study.com courses to meet your BSBA Quant Lit requirement, you can either take Math 105 (Precalculus Algebra) which transfers to TESU as MAT-121 (College Algebra), or you can take Math 107 (Quantitative Literacy) which transfers to TESU as MAT-119 (Quantitative Business Analysis).

In addition, you'll also need to take a statistics course, such as SDC's Statistics 101 (Principles of Statistics).

Alternatively, you could take comparable courses at any other provider. I used ALEKS for all my math courses (College Algebra, Precalculus, and Statistics).

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 954 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com Math 108: Discrete Mathematics - Optional Quiz and final exam Titan_s 5 2,072 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: simonbellfi
  Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) ) acamp 48 8,837 07-08-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Math Course Giantzebra 18 3,425 05-29-2022, 10:47 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Coopersmith Upper Level Math? eriehiker 19 4,774 05-27-2022, 08:06 PM
  Study.com Discrete Math prereqs decibel 18 3,624 03-16-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Algebra - which provider for math idiot back2schoolin22 8 1,314 02-02-2022, 08:40 PM
  SDC | Discrete Math akr680 2 1,235 08-16-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Math Question lidel 8 1,033 06-17-2021, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lidel