Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math 97
(01-09-2019, 03:42 PM)Supermind Wrote: Once we take a course and submit transcripts, and if policies are changed thereafter, will we not be allowed to continue on the older agreement? Bcos this can be very unsettling. Imagine coming close to the finish line and being told that 2 months after you finished some courses and transferred the credits, they were deemed not suitable.

You have to remain 'enrolled' at TESU to ensure that your credits still remain approved for your degree plan. If you let your enrollment lapse, then you are subject to any changes that were made and any current policies they have. that is why I enrolled and plan to stay enrolled until i finally graduate.

(01-09-2019, 03:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Nodaclu/TexasTink, did you two not submit it for evaluation/transfer after you finished the courses?
Nope! I sent my transcripts for the first time in November, after I became enrolled. I hadn't even applied to TESU at the time I took the course, I was just going off of recommendations here. I took another math course from TESU last night (or I should say, early this morning!) so I'm covered now either way.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
(01-09-2019, 03:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Nodaclu/TexasTink, did you two not submit it for evaluation/transfer after you finished the courses?  If it was done in May, you should be able to look up your "what if" and see if the Math 97 did come over as MAT-105.  If it did, the audit for graduation should be fine.  If it doesn't show up or it shows up in the "other" field, then you may want to state your case in an appeal, or quickly take a secondary math course at Study.com or whatever provider you like most.

I got caught in the changeover from ACE to Study.com transcripts. I sent it via ACE in August (I was waiting until I'd finished a group of courses, in order to send everything at once), only to be told by TESU that the policy had changed and transcripts now must come directly from Study.com. A few weeks later (early September), I requested a Study.com transcript be sent to TESU. 

Unbeknownst to me until yesterday, by that time, TESU had told Study.com that Math 97 would no longer be considered an equivalent course to TESU's Math 105, so Study.com DROPPED THE COURSE FROM MY TRANSCRIPT and never informed me. 

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. If TESU refuses to honor the policy as of the time I passed the course, I'll have to take another Math course, and as Math is by far my hardest subject, my graduation will be delayed.

I love this method of learning and earning a degree (and I tell everyone I can about it), but I certainly hope that issues like this start to disappear as the whole process matures.
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
Oh! So sorry to hear this. This is not fair for TESU to suddenly change their policy and inform you so late. Will a liberal arts math course be helpful for you? Bcos whatever sample paper I saw of the LA-Math TECEP, it looked quite simple and straight forward.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(01-10-2019, 04:52 PM)Supermind Wrote: Oh! So sorry to hear this. This is not fair for TESU to suddenly change their policy and inform you so late. Will a liberal arts math course be helpful for you? Bcos whatever sample paper I saw of the LA-Math TECEP, it looked quite simple and straight forward.

It is unlikely that TESU will retroactively accept courses based on the old policies, despite having taken the courses before the policy change.

I got bit by something similar with the TEEX courses. I took them back in February when they were still accepted as UL but they didn't get evaluated until I re-sent everything back in November in prep for graduation. By that time the policies had changed so they are now evaluated as LL, despite having taken them well before the policy change.

The TECEP would be a good way to get those credits, but there is no way to sign up and take that in time for the March graduation credit audit, which is going on now. He could probably take a quick Study.com math course and get that transcripted quick if he can get it done like right now. They usually want transcripts sent by Jan 1st, but if lets them know to expect another they might allow it, though given the evaluation delays it might not make the cut.

The next easiest math course after Math 97 is probably Math 102 (College Mathematics). It comes into TESU as MAT-102 (General Math I) though I don't know if that is acceptable for his degree. The next easiest math courses, in order, would probably be:
  • Math 101 (College Algebra) which comes in as MAT-115 (Intermediate Algebra)
  • Math 107 (Quantitative Literacy) which comes in as MAT-119 (Quantitative Business Analysis)
  • Math 105 (Precalculus Algebra) which comes in as MAT-121 (College Algebra)
I've heard that Math 101 and Math 107 are fairly easy, but I don't have personal experience. Math 105 sounds like a proper College Algebra course, which is probably going to be a bit rough for Nodaclu without taking the time to review earlier algebra courses, which he won't have time for.

Personally, I'd check to see if General Mathematics will fit the bill, and if so, take that. Alternatively, I might look at Quantitative Literacy since I recall someone saying that course is not algebra heavy, and fairly close to Liberal Arts Math in approach.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I hate math and especially algebra and beyond. I ended up taking Geometry 101 for my new math course. Having done the Math 97 course, the Geometry was about a third completed. I did most/all of the studying for it in one day and then took the final immediately. (I finished the final at 12:15am!) The final was a bit rough - I'm not entirely sure if it was because I was brain dead at that point or because the test itself was rough. Either way, I passed. So it's doable to do it quickly if needed and it will work for my requirement for the BALS. So that's another option for those who hate algebra and the like. It was decently tolerable.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
(01-10-2019, 08:21 PM)Merlin Wrote: Math 105 sounds like a proper College Algebra course, which is probably going to be a bit rough for Nodaclu without taking the time to review earlier algebra courses, which he won't have time for.

Considering that I struggled to even pass Math 97, that's a bit of an understatement. Wink

I have another appointment with my advisor next week, but I don't think I'm going to wait that long. Back in the day, I found Geometry easier than Algebra, and I'm also going to check out the SDC Quantitative Literacy class. I've been in the business world for so long, that I'm hoping it might help me get through that one faster.

I had to really push my advisor to allow the SDC/UExcel Social Psychology tandem to count as completing the 6 unit requirement, so I don't know that I'll be able to successfully petition him again to accept Math 97.

That doesn't mean I won't try though... Big Grin

Better safe than sorry I suppose. My advisor told me to notify the registrar that this last class would come in late, but it would come in, and they will likely allow it. Of course, I don't know how late, "late" actually is. Wink

(01-10-2019, 08:46 PM)TexasTink Wrote: I hate math and especially algebra and beyond.  I ended up taking Geometry 101 for my new math course.  Having done the Math 97 course, the Geometry was about a third completed.  I did most/all of the studying for it in one day and then took the final immediately.  (I finished the final at 12:15am!)  The final was a bit rough - I'm not entirely sure if it was because I was brain dead at that point or because the test itself was rough.  Either way, I passed.  So it's doable to do it quickly if needed and it will work for my requirement for the BALS.  So that's another option for those who hate algebra and the like.  It was decently tolerable.

Will TESU accept the SDC Geometry 101 course for the GE requirement? The SDC / TESU equivalencies web page shows it transferring in as MAT-260 to TESU:

https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab

...which isn't listed as an acceptable class under the GE Quantitiative Literacy requirements on the TESU website:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after2
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
(01-10-2019, 09:03 PM)Nodaclu Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 08:21 PM)Merlin Wrote: Math 105 sounds like a proper College Algebra course, which is probably going to be a bit rough for Nodaclu without taking the time to review earlier algebra courses, which he won't have time for.

Considering that I struggled to even pass Math 97, that's a bit of an understatement. Wink

I have another appointment with my advisor next week, but I don't think I'm going to wait that long. Back in the day, I found Geometry easier than Algebra, and I'm also going to check out the SDC Quantitative Literacy class. I've been in the business world for so long, that I'm hoping it might help me get through that one faster.

I had to really push my advisor to allow the SDC/UExcel Social Psychology tandem to count as completing the 6 unit requirement, so I don't know that I'll be able to successfully petition him again to accept Math 97.

That doesn't mean I won't try though... Big Grin

Better safe than sorry I suppose. My advisor told me to notify the registrar that this last class would come in late, but it would come in, and they will likely allow it. Of course, I don't know how late, "late" actually is. Wink

(01-10-2019, 08:46 PM)TexasTink Wrote: I hate math and especially algebra and beyond.  I ended up taking Geometry 101 for my new math course.  Having done the Math 97 course, the Geometry was about a third completed.  I did most/all of the studying for it in one day and then took the final immediately.  (I finished the final at 12:15am!)  The final was a bit rough - I'm not entirely sure if it was because I was brain dead at that point or because the test itself was rough.  Either way, I passed.  So it's doable to do it quickly if needed and it will work for my requirement for the BALS.  So that's another option for those who hate algebra and the like.  It was decently tolerable.

Will TESU accept the SDC Geometry 101 course for the GE requirement? The SDC / TESU equivalencies web page shows it transferring in as MAT-260 to TESU:

https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab

...which isn't listed as an acceptable class under the GE Quantitiative Literacy requirements on the TESU website:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after2

TESU doesn't offer MAT-260, and that page only lists classes that TESU offers, not ones that are only available as equivalencies. Their own Geometry class, MAT-361, is listed as meeting the requirement, so I'm guessing MAT-260 would as well.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(01-10-2019, 10:12 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: TESU doesn't offer MAT-260, and that page only lists classes that TESU offers, not ones that are only available as equivalencies. Their own Geometry class, MAT-361, is listed as meeting the requirement, so I'm guessing MAT-260 would as well.

I didn't include Geometry originally because I wasn't sure whether it would be accepted. But looking at the GenEd list, I agree that they will probably take it in lieu of MAT-361.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Easiest math courses that will work:

DSST/TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Math (this was very easy)
CLEP/Study.com College Math
DSST Fund of College Algebra (Intermediate Algebra basically)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,838 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 1,012 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com Math 108: Discrete Mathematics - Optional Quiz and final exam Titan_s 5 2,120 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: simonbellfi
  Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) ) acamp 48 8,910 07-08-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Math Course Giantzebra 18 3,483 05-29-2022, 10:47 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Coopersmith Upper Level Math? eriehiker 19 4,819 05-27-2022, 08:06 PM
  Study.com Discrete Math prereqs decibel 18 3,721 03-16-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Algebra - which provider for math idiot back2schoolin22 8 1,346 02-02-2022, 08:40 PM
  SDC | Discrete Math akr680 2 1,261 08-16-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Math Question lidel 8 1,044 06-17-2021, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lidel