Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math Requirement - Liberty - Help Deciding
Hello all.  I have been lurking for a while and wish I would have found this site before I started my program!  Anyway, I need to complete the math requirement for Liberty University, which is Math 114 (Quantitative Reasoning) or higher.  Essentially, QR, Math for Liberal Arts, or Algebra would work.  If I take Liberty's math assessment, I may get stuck taking 2-3 of their courses, which I would prefer to avoid.  

My school accepts credits from ALEKS, Lumerit, Sophia, SL, and SDC.  

It has been fifteen years since I have taken algebra and my math skills are lacking.  What route would you all suggest?  (Cost is not a factor, and I do not want to take the CLEP.)  Unfortunately, SDC's Quantitative Literacy will not fulfill the requirement.  

Thank you in advance for your help!
How about Aleks’ College Algebra?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(03-08-2019, 08:39 AM)Supermind Wrote: How about Aleks’ College Algebra?

I am considering ALEKS.  Although I am worried about the required 70% on the ACE knowledge check.  I would prefer a course that averages all scores in determining final grade.  I would hate for one bad test to sink the whole thing.  Thank you for your input!
My son is considering Liberty for his BS, but he has not applied yet. However, the advice that he received from a friend that goes there was to transfer his math credits in. Math is not his strong suit. He has ALEKS College Algebra, so he has what he needs.

Straighterline and Sophia have have courses that will qualify. I am sure other course providers do as well, you just need to check them out to see if you think they will work for you.

https://liberty.sophia.org/
https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/

Good Luck!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
(03-08-2019, 08:42 AM)mepdblue Wrote:

I am considering ALEKS.  Although I am worried about the required 70% on the ACE knowledge check.  I would prefer a course that averages all scores in determining final grade.  I would hate for one bad test to sink the whole thing.  Thank you for your input!

ALEKS doesn't work like that. It is like a cycle where you start with an initial assessment, followed by a learning section where concepts are introduced and tested, followed by a knowledge check to test your mastery of new concepts followed by the learning section, and then another knowledge check. This cycle continues until you hit 70% on any knowledge check, at which time you have the option to take a semi-proctored "ACE knowledge check" for college credit. If you're just barely hitting 70% and feel that you need more study time, you can always skip the ACE knowledge check and try again later when you think you're ready. If you try the ACE knowledge check and don't hit 70% it just sends you back to the learning section again so you can focus on mastering what you missed.

So there is no "one bad test to sink the whole thing". You either hit 70% on a given knowledge check or you go back to learning and can keep trying until you do. There is no time limit on how long you can spend working through the course.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • alab21, sambeaux
(03-08-2019, 11:29 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 08:42 AM)mepdblue Wrote:

ALEKS doesn't work like that. It is like a cycle where you start with an initial assessment, followed by a learning section where concepts are introduced and tested, followed by a knowledge check to test your mastery of new concepts followed by the learning section, and then another knowledge check. This cycle continues until you hit 70% on any knowledge check, at which time you have the option to take a semi-proctored "ACE knowledge check" for college credit. If you're just barely hitting 70% and feel that you need more study time, you can always skip the ACE knowledge check and try again later when you think you're ready. If you try the ACE knowledge check and don't hit 70% it just sends you back to the learning section again so you can focus on mastering what you missed.

So there is no "one bad test to sink the whole thing". You either hit 70% on a given knowledge check or you go back to learning and can keep trying until you do. There is no time limit on how long you can spend working through the course.

Thank you for the info.  I did not know you could attempt the ACE knowledge check more than once.  I am leaning towards ALEKS.  If anyone else has taken the ALEKS college algebra course, how long did it take you to get through?
I personally don't like ALEKS, I think it's too hard.

So, I would go the free route and do some Khan Academy, and then take the CLEP (College Math).
Second choice is the Applied Liberal Arts Math DSST or TECEP exam.
3rd choice is a Study.com course - MAT 97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning or MAT 102: College Mathematics, whichever one they would take. If you can take an additional course, then I would do that as well, since you're paying for 2 exams anyway.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-08-2019, 02:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I personally don't like ALEKS, I think it's too hard.

So, I would go the free route and do some Khan Academy, and then take the CLEP (College Math).
3rd choice is a Study.com course - MAT 97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning or MAT 102: College Mathematics, whichever one they would take.  If you can take an additional course, then I would do that as well, since you're paying for 2 exams anyway.

Thank you for your input.  They will accept SDC MATH 102.  However, after looking at the course info, it seemed like it would be difficult than Math 101 - Algebra.  What do you think?
(03-08-2019, 02:16 PM)mepdblue Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 02:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I personally don't like ALEKS, I think it's too hard.

3rd choice is a Study.com course - MAT 97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning or MAT 102: College Mathematics, whichever one they would take.  If you can take an additional course, then I would do that as well, since you're paying for 2 exams anyway.

Thank you for your input.  They will accept SDC MATH 102.  However, after looking at the course info, it seemed like it would be difficult than Math 101 - Algebra.  What do you think?

College Math will always be easier than College Algebra.  My daughter thought Math 102 was easier.

But, if you opt for Study.com, then they both have Placement tests - take both, start taking both courses, see which one is the easiest, and go from there.  There is quite a bit of overlap for both courses.  You can start to take both, and then only finish 1 take 1 final exam on whichever is easier.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You will hear different opinions from different people. I thought ALEKS was way too easy for the College Algebra. On the first initial assessment, I scored something like 67 or 68%. A little later I forced another assessment and ended up scoring something over 70%. At that time I went to ace and added it to my transcript. I might have spent a total of 2 hours to get those credits.
Of course, I spent the rest of the month trying to get the business statistics credits and never could get over 69%. That one seemed like they ignored everything they knew you were good at and avoided asking questions about it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,928 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 1,021 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia US History for PUG as a Social Science requirement faresayari 5 673 05-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: faresayari
  Study.com Math 108: Discrete Mathematics - Optional Quiz and final exam Titan_s 5 2,136 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: simonbellfi
  Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) ) acamp 48 8,960 07-08-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Math Course Giantzebra 18 3,493 05-29-2022, 10:47 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Coopersmith Upper Level Math? eriehiker 19 4,830 05-27-2022, 08:06 PM
  Study.com Discrete Math prereqs decibel 18 3,744 03-16-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Algebra - which provider for math idiot back2schoolin22 8 1,349 02-02-2022, 08:40 PM
  SDC | Discrete Math akr680 2 1,267 08-16-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: akr680