Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Might be a dumb question...
I have a plan. I think. So far. I'm still working on it I guess. 

But my question is, since I am going through Straighterline/clep/study/onlinedegrees for credits what should I do first? Apply at COSC or gather as many credits as I can and then apply to the school? Also, when I finish a clep test or a straighterline course where to the credits go? What is the credit purgatory?? Do they stay on each platforms user account that I have created and I transfer them with transcripts once I apply to the college I choose? Also. What would you guys recommend, clep out of easy courses, get them out of the way and then the more intensive courses I should take them online? Or maybe the other way around?? I could do more of the easier classes online at the same time than I could the harder classes. Making it more cost effective.
I'm going to answer 1 part, others can do the rest.

With COSC, you pay per term, so you don't want to apply and enroll until after you've gotten 114cr.

The advice for TESU is opposite: you want to enroll immediately, since you don't pay per term. Also, they change their policies much more frequently than COSC, so you want to lock in your catalog and send in credits more frequently there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • David.Hamad
I recommend doing as many CLEPs as possible since they're potentially free. I would work through those first and if one was too hard or failed it, you could always do the same subject through straighterline or one of the other course providers.

Study.com and straighterline both require a monthly subscription plan so when you're working on either of those I recommend focusing solely on those so you're not paying the subscription fee any longer than you have to.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • David.Hamad
(05-08-2019, 03:17 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I recommend doing as many CLEPs as possible since they're potentially free. I would work through those first and if one was too hard or failed it, you could always do the same subject through straighterline or one of the other course providers.

Study.com and straighterline both require a monthly subscription plan so when you're working on either of those I recommend focusing solely on those so you're not paying the subscription fee any longer than you have to.

This is good advice thank you.

(05-08-2019, 03:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm going to answer 1 part, others can do the rest.

With COSC, you pay per term, so you don't want to apply and enroll until after you've gotten 114cr.

The advice for TESU is opposite: you want to enroll immediately, since you don't pay per term.  Also, they change their policies much more frequently than COSC, so you want to lock in your catalog and send in credits more frequently there.

This makes sense. Thank you.

I've made many posts already so I'm going to continue this one. How can I register for CLEP exams. On the collegeboard website. I see they advertise 33 exams. I can't find any of the exams I need on the collegeboard website.
Did you get your question answered about where your credits are stored?

If not, some courses are ACE accredited, which means you'll have to open an ACE transcript account and add the courses there once you've finished them. That's what you'll end up doing with the StraighterLine courses, for example. For other course providers like Study.com, you have to pay them to send your transcript to the school of your choice whenever you're ready to have it evaluated. So far, I've only taken ACE accredited courses, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. In short, just keep track of everywhere you've earned credits because it won't all be stored in the same place depending on how they're accredited (ACE or NCCRS). 

P.S. I'm glad to see you back on the forum!
(05-08-2019, 07:38 PM)katelynn Wrote: Did you get your question answered about where your credits are stored?

If not, some courses are ACE accredited, which means you'll have to open an ACE transcript account and add the courses there once you've finished them. That's what you'll end up doing with the StraighterLine courses, for example. For other course providers like Study.com, you have to pay them to send your transcript to the school of your choice whenever you're ready to have it evaluated. So far, I've only taken ACE accredited courses, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. In short, just keep track of everywhere you've earned credits because it won't all be stored in the same place depending on how they're accredited (ACE or NCCRS). 

Thank you!!! This is what I was wondering!
(05-08-2019, 07:45 PM)David.Hamad Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 07:38 PM)katelynn Wrote: Did you get your question answered about where your credits are stored?

Thank you!!! This is what I was wondering!

No problem! Have you taken the free Sophia Learning courses yet? There's two of them for 1 credit each and you could easily finish them both in a day. They also have a brand new Student Success course (1 credit) for $49 but I'm about to earn another $50 coupon code that I could give you, making it free as well. That one can also be finished in a day. That's 3 free credits right there. The two free ones were my first courses to help me get my feet wet in this overwhelming process and I definitely recommend it.
Study.com will send your courses to TESU for free since they have an existing relationship/agreement. Just an FYI since katelynn had said you had to pay them. As far as I know, that's not true for TESU. I've had them transfer ~40 credits so far.
TESU - BS in Homeland Security & Emergency Management (BS.HSEM) (In Progress) 
Started from scratch - 01/2019 - Completion - ??

Credits: 69/120
SDC: ENG-104, HIS-108, COM-102, COM-120, POLS-101, POLS-102, POLS-103, SOC-101, PSY-101, PSY-104, COMP-102, BUS-107, BUS-109 - 39cr
Sophia: Managing Conflict, Effective Teams, Student Success - 3cr
TEEX: Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301, Basic Property Technician, Foundations of Fingerprint Comparison, Death Investigation - 19cr
Institutes: Ethics - 2cr
CSMLearn: The CSM Course - 3cr
ALEKS: College Algebra - 3cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mil0's post:
  • katelynn
(05-19-2019, 06:46 PM)Mil0 Wrote: Study.com will send your courses to TESU for free since they have an existing relationship/agreement. Just an FYI since katelynn had said you had to pay them. As far as I know, that's not true for TESU. I've had them transfer ~40 credits so far.

Good to know, thanks for the correction.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,027 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,222 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 593 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 526 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 714 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,139 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  ACTFL signup question(s) Insert Name 9 921 06-29-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  ACTFL question Jennr2z 5 802 06-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 62 7,262 04-23-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  ACTFL- silly question... uncapentin 10 1,095 02-22-2022, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore