Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern States voucher question
I know this is going to seem like a strange question, but has anyone redeemed their MS voucher to use for a different test than the one they earned it for?  Reason I ask is because I had my son scheduled to take the DSST in Info Systems before the end of September's free retake promo so that if he didn't pass it he would get a free 2nd chance.  But then I decided to have him try the Modern States course for CLEP Info Systems and he finished the course and just received his first MS voucher, yay!  Problem is, it seems the CLEP Info Systems is more difficult than the DSST Info Systems exam. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and pay for him to take the DSST in Info Systems as originally planned and use the MS voucher for another test I was planning for him (CLEP Marketing or Sociology).  Is this allowed? Since this is our first MS voucher I've yet to go through the redemption process but I imagine it's just entering the voucher code on the CLEP website when purchasing your exam but does MS track vouchers to the exams?
Totally off the subject, but what school is your son going to go to?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • magflo
I would email them and see.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • magflo
(09-17-2018, 10:54 AM)magflo Wrote: I know this is going to seem like a strange question, but has anyone redeemed their MS voucher to use for a different test than the one they earned it for?  Reason I ask is because I had my son scheduled to take the DSST in Info Systems before the end of September's free retake promo so that if he didn't pass it he would get a free 2nd chance.  But then I decided to have him try the Modern States course for CLEP Info Systems and he finished the course and just received his first MS voucher, yay!  Problem is, it seems the CLEP Info Systems is more difficult than the DSST Info Systems exam. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and pay for him to take the DSST in Info Systems as originally planned and use the MS voucher for another test I was planning for him (CLEP Marketing or Sociology).  Is this allowed? Since this is our first MS voucher I've yet to go through the redemption process but I imagine it's just entering the voucher code on the CLEP website when purchasing your exam but does MS track vouchers to the exams?

Depending on the school, those exams might not duplicate- meaning he might be able to get credit for both. Have you checked just to be sure?
(09-17-2018, 12:39 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 10:54 AM)magflo Wrote: I know this is going to seem like a strange question, but has anyone redeemed their MS voucher to use for a different test than the one they earned it for?  Reason I ask is because I had my son scheduled to take the DSST in Info Systems before the end of September's free retake promo so that if he didn't pass it he would get a free 2nd chance.  But then I decided to have him try the Modern States course for CLEP Info Systems and he finished the course and just received his first MS voucher, yay!  Problem is, it seems the CLEP Info Systems is more difficult than the DSST Info Systems exam. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and pay for him to take the DSST in Info Systems as originally planned and use the MS voucher for another test I was planning for him (CLEP Marketing or Sociology).  Is this allowed? Since this is our first MS voucher I've yet to go through the redemption process but I imagine it's just entering the voucher code on the CLEP website when purchasing your exam but does MS track vouchers to the exams?

Depending on the school, those exams might not duplicate- meaning he might be able to get credit for both. Have you checked just to be sure?

Good point. For now, the intended school is our local community college at which both of these tests do duplicate. As far as long term college plans, I don't really know....

I would ask MS. His score report would not match (Marketing vs Info Systems).

I would definitely recommend not having him take CLEP Info Systems, as long as the school accepts the DSST. I guess I can't be sure without having taken the DSST, but I think it's much harder.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • magflo
it works I did it on accident
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimmy999's post:
  • magflo

Updating in case anyone is interested to know. I emailed them asking them and they simply said "No. Please request a new voucher." I assume they meant take the course you want to test in and request that voucher. Although I still think I could have used the voucher and ordered any test as happened to Jimmy999 I decided to just follow their directions and used the voucher for the CLEP Info Systems test and he scored......... 49. Immediately after, he took the DSST Info Systems test and passed with 432. So, in the end, I spent what I had intended to spend in the first place, didn't technically lose any money but voucher wasted :-(

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 335 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question Promo Codes, SL vs Sophia Breaachh 11 669 02-11-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Breaachh
  Basic Question About Sophia Touchstones RachelB 10 1,810 10-09-2023, 10:46 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Google IT Support - course question and ACE rvm 2 918 01-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: rvm
  SDC BIO 101 - question on Labster Mr T 5 625 01-03-2023, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Mr T
  Study.com question - Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab Mr T 6 1,453 12-31-2022, 05:27 PM
  Question re: SDC Computer Science 204 - Database Programming raekwon 6 1,495 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
  Another Sophia Spanish I question uncapentin 4 843 11-16-2022, 01:49 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Question about Coursera certificates & specializations Pikachu 7 2,832 08-24-2022, 04:51 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Question about SDC Bio101 Labs? Jwheels27 4 755 08-18-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Jwheels27