Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Degree Plan @ TESC and Progress
Great job, Lady Grace! Thank you for compiling all this info in one place. Must have taken quite a bit of organization on your part--I always study frantically, test, and then forget all the research and everything I ever did for it. :willynilly:
AA Liberal Studies, Thomas Edison State College-Dec. 2012
BA Liberal Studies, Thomas Edison State College-Sept. 2013
16 CLEPs, 6 DSSTs, 12 FEMAs, and a handful of B&M lab science courses
120/120 credits DONE :hurray:

“He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.”
Thanks, y'all! Smile Glad it was helpful!

Snickerdoodle Wrote:Great job, Lady Grace! Thank you for compiling all this info in one place. Must have taken quite a bit of organization on your part--I always study frantically, test, and then forget all the research and everything I ever did for it. :willynilly:

I know what you mean! :roflol: I bookmark all of the sources and websites I use for a test, so that makes it easier to keep track of everything. Wink
CLEPs:
Biology: 64 | College Algebra: 60 | A&IL: 74 | Natural Sciences: 62 | College Comp: 62 | Intro Psychology: 73 | Intro Sociology: 67 | History of the U.S. I: 73 | History of the U.S. II: 65 | Principles of Marketing: 66 | Social Sciences & History: 68 | Humanities: 58

DSSTs:
Environment & Humanity: 59 | Technical Writing: 66 | Public Speaking: 67/Pass | Astronomy: 72

Other Courses:
Intro to Stats ALEKS: 70 | 24 FEMAs (including PDS) | Intro to News Reporting TECEP: Pass | Interpersonal Communication ECE: A | News Writing @ TESC: A | TESC Leadership Communication: A | TESC Mass Communication I: A | TESC Capstone: A | Marketing Communications TECEP: Pass | Argumentation & Debate @ LSU: A | Public Relations Thought & Practice TECEP: Pass

120/120 - DONE!!!
B.A. Communications through CollegePlus/TESC
My degree plan/test feedback
Wow, what a fantastic resource!!! Thank you very much for taking the time and putting all the work into compiling this valuable information.
Hello Lady Grace of Pemberley

Can you give me any clues on how to find the study guide from the specific feedback section? I cannot seem to find it. I am now leaning towards re-taking the Astronomy exam.

Mike
Organist Wrote:Hello Lady Grace of Pemberley

Can you give me any clues on how to find the study guide from the specific feedback section? I cannot seem to find it. I am now leaning towards re-taking the Astronomy exam.

Mike

In order to access the Specific Feedback section, you will need to be a current InstantCert subscriber. The easiest way to find it is to go to the main page of this forum (make sure you are logged in first). There will be 5 categories ("General Education and Testing Discussion," "Excelsior, Thomas Edison, & Charter Oak Specific Discussion," "Military Discussion," "Off Topic," and "Specific Exam Feedback - InstantCert Subscribers ONLY"). Choose the last category ("Specific Exam Feedback - InstantCert Subscribers ONLY"). Then, scroll through until you find the thread entitled "Astronomy DSST" (you can also use the search feature in the specific feedback section to locate this thread). Hope that helped! Smile

~Lady Grace

EDIT: IF you are a current IC subscriber, you should be able to view the below links. If you are not a current subscriber, they will be blocked.

Here is the Astronomy thread in the Specific Feedback section: http://www.degreeforum.net/specific-exam...-dsst.html

And here are the documents/attachments/notes that people have compiled for this exam (I used the one at the very bottom of the page, and it was AMAZING!!! SO helpful!!!): http://www.degreeforum.net/misc.php?do=s...nts&t=1836

Hope those links worked!
CLEPs:
Biology: 64 | College Algebra: 60 | A&IL: 74 | Natural Sciences: 62 | College Comp: 62 | Intro Psychology: 73 | Intro Sociology: 67 | History of the U.S. I: 73 | History of the U.S. II: 65 | Principles of Marketing: 66 | Social Sciences & History: 68 | Humanities: 58

DSSTs:
Environment & Humanity: 59 | Technical Writing: 66 | Public Speaking: 67/Pass | Astronomy: 72

Other Courses:
Intro to Stats ALEKS: 70 | 24 FEMAs (including PDS) | Intro to News Reporting TECEP: Pass | Interpersonal Communication ECE: A | News Writing @ TESC: A | TESC Leadership Communication: A | TESC Mass Communication I: A | TESC Capstone: A | Marketing Communications TECEP: Pass | Argumentation & Debate @ LSU: A | Public Relations Thought & Practice TECEP: Pass

120/120 - DONE!!!
Hello, everyone! Quick update: I took the Introduction to News Reporting TECEP at the beginning of the month, and I'm nervously awaiting my results. When I get my scores back, I'll post my thoughts on the test. I began my first three TESC online classes this January, and so far, they're going well.

So, I have a question...... Has anyone taken the Interpersonal Communication ECE? I searched the forums and couldn't find a thing. Sad I am already registered and have scheduled a date to take the test. I have the required textbook (which I should probably start reading if I'm hoping to take the test by the end of the month.... :leaving: ) as well as the fact-sheet-thingy. Any other advice? I haven't taken an ECE before.

(edit: wow, that font is awkwardly large :eek: )
CLEPs:

DSSTs:

Other Courses:

120/120 - DONE!!!
I'm about to start studying for the intro to Educational Psych test, and was wondering if you have any idea if this test is very close to the intro to Psych test? Congratulations on finishing so many CLEPS in such a short time!
smile247365 Wrote:I'm about to start studying for the intro to Educational Psych test, and was wondering if you have any idea if this test is very close to the intro to Psych test? Congratulations on finishing so many CLEPS in such a short time!

Well, I haven't taken that test, but from what I have heard, it is similar. If you are a current InstantCert subscriber, check out the Specific Feedback section. Also, you can serch "Educational Psychology" on the site and it will probably bring up some results. Good luck on your test! Big Grin
CLEPs:

DSSTs:

Other Courses:

120/120 - DONE!!!
I only used the Instantcert flashcards for Intro to Educational Psychology and scored a 70, but I had already taken a few psychology courses and tests.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
************************************************************************************

Introduction to News Reporting TECEP
Score: Pass

Just found out that I passed this TECEP, so here are my thoughts on this test.

It took me exactly 3 weeks to get my grade, but I think it would have taken me longer if I hadn't to submitted a ticket to the MyEdison Help Desk. I originally just contacted them to see if they had received my test from my proctor, as it hadn't shown up on the "Transcripts Received" section of Online Student Services yet, but someone from TESC emailed me and said that she just posted my score.

The first thing on the exam was the 20 multiple-choice questions, then 5 short essay questions on news reporting ethics and law, and then the 3 news stories that I wrote using the reporter's notes they provide. The [only] practice test provided on the fact sheet was a good representation of the real thing. There was a short survey to complete after the test.

I used "Writing and Reporting News: A Coaching Method" by Carole Rich as my primary book (read through the whole thing), and, since there wasn't a glossary in that book, used the glossaries in the other two recommended books. In the future, I wouldn't buy all three, but this was my first TECEP and I wanted to be prepared. Wink One cool thing about studying for this TECEP was that the textbook I used primarily for this course is also the textbook I need for my News Writing course at TESC, so I knocked out the reading for two classes at once! Smile

I studied for this test over the holiday season for probably 2-2 1/2 weeks.

Although I only used one of the three recommended textbooks, I did feel pretty comfortable with what I knew on the exam. I even recognized parts of the test (especially on the ethics/journalism law essays section) that seemed to be copied and pasted from the textbooks!

If possible, try to memorize the glossary from your favorite of the three books. I worked on the Quizlet flashcards (see below), and the terms on them are from two of the books and conflicted a bit, which got confusing.

Definitely write as many practice news stories as you can -- it will make you a lot more comfortable on testing day. I used the provided reporter's notes from the fact sheet as a template to write my own practice reporter's notes. On my test, I had to write a town meeting story, a feature story, and a weather story (it said on the fact sheet you would get to choose 3 of 4 provided story options, but I didn't get to pick).

One thing that the fact sheet practice test didn't really prepare me for was a part of the news story writing section. For two of my three required news stories, they asked me to list facts that "needed to be verified or followed up on" (or something like that) after I had finished writing my news story. I did not expect that, so it did unnerve me a bit when I saw it.

I was able to take the exam at my local library, which is so much more convenient than hiking all the way over to the nearest college testing center! Definitely look into that option if you can. Smile

I used pretty much all of the three hours provided to take the test, but only because I didn't rush through the exam like a crazy person, I re-read and counted the number of words for my news stories, I went over all my answers at least two times, and I sat there for a while trying to remember the answers to some questions I didn't know the answers to. I think on my future TECEPs (that aren't all essay questions/definitions), I'll move more quickly through the test.

~American Code of Ethics for journalists
~Is it ethical to go undercover?
~Libel
~Know a few internet-related terms from the glossary (for some reason, I thought this wouldn't be covered in the test, so I skipped over it)

Helpful resources:

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions! Smile
CLEPs:

DSSTs:

Other Courses:

120/120 - DONE!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,233 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,876 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,367 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,690 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,902 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,788 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,039 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,977 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,343 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,709 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero