Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Journey - TESU BA Computer Science
Athabasca will cost me $1683. No thanks.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Discrete Math was easier than I expected. I forgot it's an LL course. I'm assuming I can score enough on the final. I did the quizzes.

I'll also be taking the Intro to Operating Systems exam very soon, followed by Computer Architecture, and Database Management.

I did half of the OD course, but I'm stopping so that I can do the above Study.com and then the 2 Saylor courses.

I may be done with all of these in Dec. I would only have Data Structures and the Capstone left, but I have a lot of English AOS credits to do.

(12-14-2018, 12:42 AM)Ideas Wrote: Discrete Math was easier than I expected. I forgot it's an LL course. I'm assuming I can score enough on the final. I did the quizzes.

I'll also be taking the Intro to Operating Systems exam very soon, followed by Computer Architecture, and Database Management.

I did half of the OD course, but I'm stopping so that I can do the above Study.com and then the 2 Saylor courses.

I may be done with all of these in Dec. I would only have Data Structures and the Capstone left, but I have a lot of English AOS credits to do.

The last half of the OD Python course is tough. I  started last Saturday and did 25% on the first day, but it was a lot of stuff I was already familiar with from scripting in bash (loops, variables, etc.). Once I hit Lesson 13 I had to start going a lot slower. I'm on 22 now, so almost done, but I've been studying at least 5 hours a day and have only been getting 2-3 sections done each day. Some of the sections had a lot of code to get through (e.g. game design), and for others it was just really a struggle for me to wrap my head around the concepts (e.g. graphs). Despite the grind, I've been putting a ton of effort into it and it's probably in my top 3 of all the courses I've done so far. I'm really enjoying learning all these topics and getting familiar with python. While there are a few odd things about the course, I think it's wonderfully done overall. The instructor's good, the information is focused and well organized, and the supplemental material is relevant.

I'll definitely continue learning it and look for ways to use it at work.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
(12-14-2018, 10:38 PM)camjenks Wrote: The last half of the OD Python course is tough. I  started last Saturday and did 25% on the first day, but it was a lot of stuff I was already familiar with from scripting in bash (loops, variables, etc.). Once I hit Lesson 13 I had to start going a lot slower. I'm on 22 now, so almost done, but I've been studying at least 5 hours a day and have only been getting 2-3 sections done each day. Some of the sections had a lot of code to get through (e.g. game design), and for others it was just really a struggle for me to wrap my head around the concepts (e.g. graphs). Despite the grind, I've been putting a ton of effort into it and it's probably in my top 3 of all the courses I've done so far. I'm really enjoying learning all these topics and getting familiar with python. While there are a few odd things about the course, I think it's wonderfully done overall. The instructor's good, the information is focused and well organized, and the supplemental material is relevant.

I'll definitely continue learning it and look for ways to use it at work.

That's great! So far, I agree that it's an excellent course. 

I'm looking forward to the game design parts which are coming up for me. The amount of time it's taking you sounds reasonable. I hope I go a little quicker, but I may take longer than you too. 

I'd really like your feedback on the final exam after you take it. Good luck with it!

Questions:
1) Is study.com Data Structures going to get ACE accreditation? 
2) Does study.com computer architecture count as UL for BA CS?
3) Will study.com's 300 level Operating systems course get UL from ACE?
4) Will study.com's Digital Marketing and study.com's "management information systems" count towards the 15 UL CS courses?
Quote:1) Is study.com Data Structures going to get ACE accreditation? 
No guarantees but I do believe that is Study.com's goal. We don't have a timetable of when it will happen. May want to inquire with study.com

Quote:2) Does study.com computer architecture count as UL for BA CS?
According to this thread( that you just commented on) https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...quivalency Computer Arcihtecture -> COS-330
So yes. Also, it is ace recommended for UL

Quote:3) Will study.com's 300 level Operating systems course get UL from ACE?
Study.com most likely intended it for UL credit but ACE evaluated it at LL. I believe that study.com will try to get it bumped up to UL at some point but there's no guarantee on that happening or the timetable that it happens. You may want to inquire with study.com to see if they will give you an answer.

Quote:4) Will study.com's Digital Marketing and study.com's "management information systems" count towards the 15 UL CS courses?
According to https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab
digital marketing will transfer to TESU as "MAR-441 : Marketing with Digital and Social Media"

You may have to inquire with TESU to see if they'll let you apply it to a BACS degree but I think it is doubtful.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • KittenMittens
(12-18-2018, 05:03 PM)KittenMittens Wrote: Questions:
1) Is study.com Data Structures going to get ACE accreditation? 
2) Does study.com computer architecture count as UL for BA CS?
3) Will study.com's 300 level Operating systems course get UL from ACE?
4) Will study.com's Digital Marketing and study.com's "management information systems" count towards the 15 UL CS courses?

1. We have no way of knowing. We think they intend to pursue ACE recommendation, but there is no guarantee it will meet the requirements, or when. I recommend that people not rely on this for now.
  2. Yes, it comes into TESU as COS-330 (Computer Architecture)
  3. We have no way of knowing. SDC intended it to be UL but it didn't meet the ACE requirements. We don't know if they have any plans to change it and try again. But even if they do, it may not come into TESU as UL since TESU doesn't have an upper-level Operating Systems course for equivalency. The BACS uses COS-240 which is the same as what Intro to Operating Systems comes in as, so if TESU accepts a future version as UL, it may no longer fulfill the BACS core requirements, or only operate as an elective.
  4. FYI, it is 15 credits (5 courses, in addition to the capstone), not 15 courses (45 credits). But the MIS and Digital Marketing courses *should* work. I can attest that they work in the ASNSM CS degree and the BSBA CIS degree, but most CS/CIS courses will work as CS electives as well. The digital marketing course comes in as MAR-441 but is also considered a CS related course.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Thanks for that info!
So from what I can tell there's 4 study.com courses that count as UL, and the need for one more UL CS course/exam. Seems that data strucs will have to be taken at a CC unless study.com gets it any time soon.
The real issue is the 5th upper level CS course/exam - not many easy/straightforward options there it seems...
I posted my brief review of Discrete Math and my mistake over here:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid276651

(12-18-2018, 05:33 PM)KittenMittens Wrote: Thanks for that info!
So from what I can tell there's 4 study.com courses that count as UL, and the need for one more UL CS course/exam. Seems that data strucs will have to be taken at a CC unless study.com gets it any time soon.
The real issue is the 5th upper level CS course/exam - not many easy/straightforward options there it seems...

We think they are trying to get UL approval for the harder Operating Systems course. There may still be at least one UL CSU-Global CBE.

(12-21-2018, 04:58 AM)Ideas Wrote: I posted my brief review of Discrete Math and my mistake over here:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid276651

(12-18-2018, 05:33 PM)KittenMittens Wrote: Thanks for that info!

We think they are trying to get UL approval for the harder Operating Systems course. There may still be at least one UL CSU-Global CBE.

I wouldn't recommend depending on that Operating Systems course becoming UL any time soon. Unless someone has received a specific update about this course from Study.com, we don't know for sure that SDC is working on getting that resubmitted for UL recommendation, or what the priority is for that course vs. new courses or other courses they want to get resubmitted for UL recommendation. So if it happens, it could be a long time from now.

Not to be negative, but I'd hate to see someone delay their degree plan because they're waiting on a course change that may never happen, or may happen a year down the road or something.

The LL Operating Systems course works fine for the BACS right now. For other UL BACS electives, the Study.com MIS and Digital Marketing courses should also be options. I'm pretty sure the MIS course will apply–at least I've seen that on a few BACS degree plans. I'm not sure if anyone has checked to see if the Digital Marketing course will apply. I only know that works in the ASNSM CS and BSBA CIS degrees.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,358 04-18-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 533 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 460 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 482 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 324 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,236 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 236 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 378 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 432 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az