Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Journey - TESU BA Computer Science
(12-21-2018, 05:31 AM)Merlin Wrote: I wouldn't recommend depending on that Operating Systems course becoming UL any time soon. Unless someone has received a specific update about this course from Study.com, we don't know for sure that SDC is working on getting that resubmitted for UL recommendation, or what the priority is for that course vs. new courses or other courses they want to get resubmitted for UL recommendation. So if it happens, it could be a long time from now.

Not to be negative, but I'd hate to see someone delay their degree plan because they're waiting on a course change that may never happen, or may happen a year down the road or something.

That's true. I had assumed that user was just starting out.

(12-22-2018, 03:45 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @ideas you should do System analysis and design before you do the Saylor course since the topics are similar. Isnt it LL now?

I was thinking of doing the Saylor course but I dont need another LL CS course.

I believe it's LL. For me, it's UL because I got it planned in before the change.

It would be nice if the Study.com course helped.

(12-22-2018, 03:29 PM)Ideas Wrote: I don't think I will be taking Saylor Software Engineering either. I only did the practice exam. I may do a second practice exam before I decide. This had more good questions than their networking exam, but in my opinion, it's not worth doing for most students, only for those with good prior knowledge. The main textbook made a statement about prior knowledge and I think it's meant for people majoring in the field. The main problem is not the book, it's the wording of the exam questions. It reminded me of Shmoop, but even more frustrating I guess. But again, this had some straightforward questions too.

Study.com Systems Analysis and Design will be next and some non-CS courses. I'll try to finish Computer Architecture before going back to OD Intro Programming.

Edit: I was looking at Study.com's Data Structures course, and I'm glad it's Java based.

Edit: The TECEP has three 10 point essays and 70 multiple-choice questions. I'm sick of networking now.

Posted some more info about Saylor SE here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid276964

I will say that I noticed fewer outright errors on the SE course. That may be because I'm less experienced or maybe it's a little better. It was still very difficult because, like you said, the wording of the questions was very strange. Some had multiple correct answers. I have been much more satisfied with study.com. Saylor SE was planned for me as UL so I really wanted to go ahead with it, but I think I will end up taking advantage of some of Study.com's new offerings instead. 

As a sidetone, I Loved OD computer programming. Probably my favorite Course so far. It was difficult and I spent about 40 hours on it, but I'd been wanting to learn python for a while so I was glad I found a course to fulfill the programming requirement in the language I wanted. 

Thanks for the update!
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
(12-24-2018, 09:46 PM)camjenks Wrote: Posted some more info about Saylor SE here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid276964

I will say that I noticed fewer outright errors on the SE course. That may be because I'm less experienced or maybe it's a little better. It was still very difficult because, like you said, the wording of the questions was very strange. Some had multiple correct answers. I have been much more satisfied with study.com. Saylor SE was planned for me as UL so I really wanted to go ahead with it, but I think I will end up taking advantage of some of Study.com's new offerings instead. 

As a sidetone, I Loved OD computer programming. Probably my favorite Course so far. It was difficult and I spent about 40 hours on it, but I'd been wanting to learn python for a while so I was glad I found a course to fulfill the programming requirement in the language I wanted. 

Thanks for the update!

Yes, I was bothered by that same question which you used as a example in the other thread! I found other examples where the text is very clearly showing multiple correct answers.

However, I also noticed fewer errors on SE versus the networks course, based on practice exams.

I did the quizzes and exam for SDC System Analysis and Design. I think that they will not help me on the Saylor exam. I think I would only get 1 extra question right due to the SDC learning, or none. Partly because (I agree with you that) some of the Saylor questions were very specific and not very good.

I think that someone could read all the material three times and still not pass. Or hypothetically if they did open-book, they still may not pass.

I'm sorry you failed by so little. I read in another thread that if you complain to Saylor with question numbers and explanations, they would give you back the points. I mean, someone who had done it with multiple questions, apparently? I don't remember which thread it was, but I could find it. So perhaps if you can remember a bit and they agreed with at least 1 question being unfair, then you passed?

(12-24-2018, 09:46 PM)camjenks Wrote: As a sidetone, I Loved OD computer programming. Probably my favorite Course so far. It was difficult and I spent about 40 hours on it, but I'd been wanting to learn python for a while so I was glad I found a course to fulfill the programming requirement in the language I wanted. 

Yeah, same here, I'm so glad I can learn some Python now! I love OD forever for offering this (and appreciate their other courses too). 

Their Python course seems a lot more time-consuming than their others.

I also started OD Robotics because the descriptions sounded interesting. It seems geared toward general audiences.

I did all the OD quizzes for Cybersecurity, and will take that final exam soon. However, I don't know if this will duplicate at TESU. Even if it does, the course material was very interesting to me.

(12-25-2018, 06:21 AM)Ideas Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 09:46 PM)camjenks Wrote: As a sidetone, I Loved OD computer programming. Probably my favorite Course so far. It was difficult and I spent about 40 hours on it, but I'd been wanting to learn python for a while so I was glad I found a course to fulfill the programming requirement in the language I wanted. 

I also started OD Robotics because the descriptions sounded interesting. It seems geared toward general audiences.

I did all the OD quizzes for Cybersecurity, and will take that final exam soon. However, I don't know if this will duplicate at TESU. Even if it does, the course material was very interesting to me.

I really enjoyed the robotics course even though it was extremely basic.I have a decent engineeringish background so I got a 99.7% on it. Actually most of the quiz questions have 3 definitely wrong answers and 1 definitely correct answer. Even someone with no background can do very well on this course, especially since it is interesting. Some of the YouTube videos were worthless and annoying but short. I remember watching a 10 minute video of a robot dancing and being like, "well that's what I would normally watch when I'm avoiding schoolwork."

The cyber security course was also interesting to me but a little harder IMO because I got an 85%. This one definitely behooves one to take notes.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • jsd
(12-25-2018, 12:05 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I really enjoyed the robotics course even though it was extremely basic.I have a decent engineeringish background so I got a 99.7% on it.

Wow!

(12-25-2018, 12:05 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I remember watching a 10 minute video of a robot dancing and being like, "well that's what I would normally watch when I'm avoiding schoolwork."

LOL!

Yeah Cybersecurity has a number of facts. Names of companies/programs, etc.

Study.com Computer Architecture is slow. It's a much harder course like others posted, and it's not something I have experience in.

I hope to finish Comp Architecture before my month membership ends, unless I end up working extra before then. I'm taking a break for an English course, but I will delay the non-CS TECEP.

RPNow/Study.com has not officially approved my others. Holiday slowdown, I guess.

@Ideas just read the book I recommend and aim to UNDERSTAND it. I have been dabbling with logic ICs since I was 8 and that book taught me some new things when I read it a few years ago. It is the key to understanding the course. Its more a test of competency at some points than teaching. I completed it in a few days cause of prior knowledge.

Come on you can do it! You're so close!! If you dont understand the material then the final assignment will be IMPOSSIBLE trust me. Its very cool stuff, I wish I could do more hardware related stuff like this.

You must enjoy it, its not hard its just different. Come on you got this!! Show that course who's boss!! Come on!
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • posabsolute
3 of my Study.com courses are showing up on my TESU eval now.

I hated the Systems Analysis and Design assignment, but of course it's not as challenging as the Computer Architecture assignment. Study.com has been quick with grading, but I guess it will be February before it gets on my TESU eval.

I may put off Study.com Computer Architecture for three months because of English and other courses.

Next I'll go back to the OD Python programming course. It's been over a month since I stopped it. Someone posted that they found some quiz questions weren't in the course material. I think I recall seeing that a couple times.

(01-18-2019, 12:14 AM)Ideas Wrote: Next I'll go back to the OD Python programming course. It's been over a month since I stopped it. Someone posted that they found some quiz questions weren't in the course material. I think I recall seeing that a couple times.

From what I recall, the issue wasn't that the lesson material is actually missing, but rather that the order of the lessons gets mixed up at some point. So OD starts quizzing you on some of the material you don't encounter until later in the lesson plan, which looks like they're asking you questions not covered in the course.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,546 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 605 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 499 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 523 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 340 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,323 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 248 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 399 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 438 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az