Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Journey - TESU BA Computer Science
Okay great, I feared you were going into this blind without a real expectation of what was coming. Glad that's not the case. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, I should have known better.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
It seems like there must be some $800-$850 self-paced classes in Comp Arch and Op Sys, or late-start / early-start / intersession / summer. If anyone checks the major self-paced schools, please let me know which school don't have them, so I can skip checking them.

However maybe I will end up starting some other Masters and be too busy anyway.

(02-10-2018, 09:21 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(02-04-2018, 09:49 AM)davewill Wrote: Starting enrolled should keep that from happening.

I have a separate, related question. Do you know if this would work to get me the lowest cost undergrad certificate? 
I'd like the option to put off the certificate until after the degree, as I am pretty busy for the next 12 months, and don't want to slow down the degree. I know I would have to pay a second graduation fee.

Enroll in a Masters program. 
Take any TECEP in May/June 2019.
Graduate with BA-CS degree in June 2019.
Then I think I could take at least 8 months to complete the certificate?

Would I be at risk of them changing their policies and being unable to complete the certificate? Only if they change their policies before I enroll in the certificate?

Sorry, I don't know. I would think it would be like a degree, and you should be able to declare for it and lock in the catalog it appears in.

(02-18-2018, 09:17 AM)Ideas Wrote: ...

I'm also still a bit nervous about Java class since they apparently want you to have Intermediate C++, not just Intro. So in that case maybe I should simply take Intermediate C++? I need one of the two before the Data Structures course. I just don't want to set myself up for a course that's too hard for me from the start, meaning I would be playing catch up the whole time and still end up with a B grade. But Java should be easier right? They might not allow me into Intermediate C++ with just the SL Intro C++. I think they would want a real graded course. I also prefer to learn Java but if that course needs me to learn C++ first anyway, then why not just C++.

You will find that Java and C++ have much in common from a syntax point of view. Who's Intermediate C++ are you referring to?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Yenisei
(02-18-2018, 05:14 PM)davewill Wrote: You will find that Java and C++ have much in common from a syntax point of view. Who's Intermediate C++ are you referring to?

Oh. I'm just worried the Java class suggest 2 prereqs while the Intermediate C++ only requires 1.

Community college... DeAnza.

My commitment to doing this hasn't wavered, but for a while I was more stable financially, then less stable, then more stable. Now I'm less certain again, especially if I am going to spend on an MBA.

Therefore, I'm not sure about paying the residency waiver "in advance" in June, because I could lose $1800 if I didn't complete all the requirements and graduate within the year. If I don't pay in June, the price will go up, possibly by a good percentage.

Also, the capstone price would be higher unless I enroll for June term (or July would likely count, since it's paid in June).

I hate having to think about the money this much. I feel like I have to choose between the MBA and the BA-CS. I may have to go with the MBA first, or neither to save money. Or, hopefully things change again by June, and I feel like it's safe enough to spend the money.

If only I could have gotten a loan for the first TESU residency waiver and/or the second.

Because of some misunderstanding about SL coupons, I have a membership now. I haven't picked courses yet. I may be starting their Intro C++ course soon. I'm not sure, because I am fairly busy in the coming month, so I could take different SL courses instead. However, it could help me get an A in the Java class, since the Java class is not an Intro class, and I'm currently clueless about both C++ and Java. (I know general programming concepts from other languages.) Having the membership clock ticking would be a good motivator, but I'm afraid it would need a lot more hours than the other SL courses.

I finished TEEX CyberSecurity for IT Professionals. I know that the DSST Cybersecurity duplicates one of those other TEEX, which I did last year, but it's 3 credits instead of 2. I may register for the DSST next month, due to the coupon which expires at the end of March. It is only around 8% off once you add in the test center fee, for a cost of $105-110 after coupon.

I am posting this to remind myself that I would have to register for the June capstone. Or I think I might be able to register for July's and pay in June. 

This is in addition to paying for the residency waiver, if I am confident I can graduate by June 2019. I really don't want to take that long. I would like to finish the requirements in Dec 2018. Then it will seem like a long wait to get confirmed and get it conferred.

It's discussed in various threads, but a new one is https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...pid=254353

I really want to speed up my CS degree, since it's holding back the Eng "degree" (they are majors in the same degree) which has suddenly become more important to me to finish.

I'm hesitant to try PLA, but maybe I should, if I can speed things up by 3 months, which would mean graduating Dec 2018. Graduating 6 month early is probably not possible.

I think I'll make an attempt or two to get put back on the other catalog, but I don't have much hope for that.

I would like any other advice on speeding it up. I feel like there must be some courses I can take faster, which are cheaper than TESU's. Then again, if they are self-paced they often don't qualify for FinAid/loan. This is all particularly slow because of prereqs.

I'm less interested about speeding up the degree now, but I still want to graduate in March 2019 or June 2019. I got dates mixed up, and didn't get a spot in the upcoming Java Programming class. Not good because the other course needs this as a prereq Sad But maybe March is still possible.

However, I think I'm going to do a WGU Masters degree, which will make it difficult to do 3-4 courses in the Fall term. So, I should probably aim for June. I might put it off for longer Sad

I also still haven't started the SL C++ course. I might not do it soon, so I can work on other things instead. It's a tough decision.

I still can't decide if I should do the C++ course at SL. I don't want to do it, I guess. The only reason is if it helps me get an A in the Java Programming course when I get to it. So I could self-study instead using an MOOC, but if I'm going to do that, why not get credit for C++ through SL, right? I guess that self-study is nicer since I could study Java instead, I guess. Why wouldn't this course say that it recommends C++ or Java experience, though? It says just C++ recommended.

I feel that I better take the DSST Cybersecurity exam by April 25th, as well as Saylor Software Engineering in the same time frame, so one or both could be this month. 

Then I'm strongly considering enrolling in the July Capstone (or June if needed, to get the lower Study.com affiliate pricing). Then I will take 5 online not-self-paced courses which would not be complete until mid-Dec at the earliest, and I think that my degree plan would be complete.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 17 2,483 04-21-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 592 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 490 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 517 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 334 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 271 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,314 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 247 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 397 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 434 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az