Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Journey: TESU BSBA
Bad news for me on the Associates degree. The certification cannot be elapsed. Therefore I need 8 Biology credits. I am also worried about the Bio 2 lab being expensive.

I have been briefly considering a different degree, one without a capstone:
- Primarily, I am considering the ASNSM in Computer Science. I do prefer ASNSM-Biology, but I feel I should at least compare the cost/effort/time of the two. It will depend on how many of the CS Associates credits are the same as the BSBA-CIS.
- I don't think the ASBA or AA are worth getting for me. (Unless you can choose an AA major and have it on the diploma, which I believe you can't.)
- Mathematics is definitely only third place, and is unlikely to make sense for me. TESU counts all the ALEKS stats courses as STA-201 so I can't get multiple credits for those. TESU doesn't accept Trigonometry, College Algebra, Pre-Calc, or Finite Math for the Math degree. So I believe all I have is Calculus (3-4 cr), Geometry (2 cr), Stats (3 cr), meaning I am pretty far away from the 16 cr requirement. Geometry I'm not totally sure of either.

Apparently Davar is now offering Accounting for Management ACCT 302 for $20. Plus the $15 proctor fee. That sure beats the Straighterline cost. But, the deal is only for April. Exam has to be taken April 30th or sooner. I don't think I can handle it, because of possibly taking the TECEP much sooner. (In the other thread, it was recommended to take it first week of May. I am hoping maybe second week of May? I'll see what the advice is in the other thread.)

It would help so much if I had an easier location to test in Sad

I'm disappointed TESU didn't process me on Thursday like I was told. They were probably closed today. It would be nice if it happened early Monday.

I feel ok about the TECEP now that I read about it. I should have read about it before, I could have been less stressed yesterday Smile I have enough plans and will be starting to read/study within 48 hours.

Older writing: I plan to take TECEP early May, meaning schedule by April 21st. This is due to my personal situation, I need to schedule about 2 weeks in advance. Well because this one is important, I may do it at another location. I updated my To Do list to reflect that the study.com courses don't happen before the TECEP. I like this better actually, but I am even more nervous about my ID situation and some other things. Found out that the passing score is fairly low, which does help a lot. And I would have a chance to retake as well (for $114 + probably late registration fee).

I'm wondering if there's a way to get GPA at TESU for either/both degrees, and will add that to my list to investigate. Because of possibly wanting a Masters sometime.

I wish the timing would have worked out for the Psychology degree.

Edit: I learned more about the TECEP and looked at the book. I feel even more confident now, but also feel like it needs a lot of hours put in. Since I want to take the exam in about 16-19 days, I don't know if I'll have time to use study.com courses to help prepare, but I will keep them in mind.

I'm seeing how some people do 6-8+ exams in a month. I'm beginning to wonder about finishing by Oct 1st for December graduation. I feel like I could at least give it a shot, but my life will probably get in the way. I'm also unsure about the ASNSM graduation. I could try to finish the ASNSM requirements by July 1st for Sept graduation, but then I guess I end up paying $332 to get that early. If I graduated in Dec, then maybe I don't pay an extra $332. I have plenty of time to figure that out.

Edit: I complained in another thread about the $150 late registration fee. And in another thread about Shmoop Lit exam questions.

I started to think I wanted ASNSM - CS more than Biology, but it seems significantly harder. I am confused at how to see TESU's specific requirements, but I'm looking at a thread that says 7 credits are flexible (electives, I guess). For the 7 Non Theory credits, supposedly they will even take TEEX Cybersecurity for IT Professionals (2 cr), SL Intro to programming in C++ (3 cr), and SL Information Technology Fundamentals (3 cr). For the 9 Theory credits, you choose from: assembly language, compiler construction, data structure, linear algebra, numerical analysis, discrete math, or switching theory and automation. It seems pretty challenging to find inexpensive credits of this type online. They can be found at community colleges. I suppose I have to cross this off my list. I don't want something to delay my completion by Oct 1st or Jan 1st. I wouldn't mind the coursework, but do mind the cost and time Sad

Edit: Biology could be an issue too. Only because of the Biology II lab requirement. I am not sure what to do. I found a thread where sanatone said "I already had the lecture part of Biology II covered by the CLEP, but since I couldn't find a standalone lab, I took the course with lab at NMJC." I could attempt to get PLA, but the cost is high for me, since I don't have the free Kaplan PLA credit.

TO DO LIST - SUNDAY 4/15
Feedback is welcome! (I will edit this if anything changes in the next 24 hours. Then I sometimes delete and repost. Can't edit after 24 hours.)

Most important next steps, due within a week:
- Remind TESU if they don't send my college ID number Monday.
- Register for Strategic Mgmt TECEP when I have college ID number. ($114+$150)
- Keep working on my ID issue, so that TECEP goes smoothly. Ask TESU about ID policy? Check RPNow ID policies? Study.com uses RPNow??
- Schedule Strategic Mgmt TECEP exam at ProctorU and library for early May. Schedule as soon as possible.
- Read TECEP material and study. (Have 16-18 days, but have other things to do for some days, including Shmoop.)
- Do Shmoop lit course before membership expires.

Before early May:
- Exam equipment: Test webcam. Finish working on keyboard issue. Lamps??
- Schedule study.com Personal Finance exam and another exam for May 10th or sooner. (Schedule by Apr 26th.) (Take 2 exams in a row??)

First half of May, but after taking TECEP:
- Take study.com Personal Finance course and other study.com course, and prep for exam. (Probably not a Bio exam in case I switch to CS.)

Later:
- Can I get a GPA at TESU for either degree or both? Straighterline? Transfer credits do not work.
- Unsure if I need Info Literacy credit. (If yes, take CLEP A&I Lit.)
- Make a spreadsheet? Public?
- Consider switching to ASNSM-CS instead of Biology.
- Considering exams that are more expensive, but get me finished quicker and easier. (Straighterline courses especially.)
- Waiting on TESU for AP exam course numbers. (Double checking course duplicates, mostly for Biology.)
- Figure out if I need to complete a Biology II lab and where I can do this without spending a lot.
- Order ACE transcript. No rush on this since the ACE courses are common and we already know what TESU credits them as?
- Use my next study.com exam credits by about June 13th and July 13th. (Schedule weeks in advance.)
- Hopefully I come across an easier location for exams somehow.
- Gen Eds: Saylor Intro to Comparative Politics and Study.com Public Speaking
- 2 biology courses at Study.com (Pathophysiology and Genetics most likely.)
- 11 business exams and 6 computer exams listed earlier in the thread

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • slmartin
DONE:
- I registered for the TECEP, but it takes them up to 2 days to confirm registration. May 1st is in 2 weeks. I am hesitant to schedule a specific date already, and I guess I have to wait anyway, until they confirm registration.
- I hurried and finished the Shmoop lit course. It's much nicer having it out of the way.

Edit: I am wondering about maybe just getting the AAS BOG after all. It might be allowed. I believe that I wouldn't need to take any more courses/exams for the AAS BOG, unlike the ASNSM-Biology. However, I am hoping to do a second bachelor's degree which may require the same things the ASNSM-Bio does. But I could put off those courses until after I finished the Business/CIS requirements.

Edit: I feel like I don't have time to do study.com courses to prep for the TECEP. It looks like I can postpone my study.com membership/exam credit dates, but it seems like other people lost their credits earlier than expected because of this misleading date part.

Ideas Wrote:DONE:
- I registered for the TECEP, but it takes them up to 2 days to confirm registration. May 1st is in 2 weeks. I am hesitant to schedule a specific date already, and I guess I have to wait anyway, until they confirm registration.
- I hurried and finished the Shmoop lit course. It's much nicer having it out of the way.

You schedule your exam directly through ProctorU, and you can't do that until the term starts.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Edit: So I'm deciding to still go for Biology. (Although if someone has a way to test out of CS, that may be interesting, even if the cost/time investment are higher.)

I looked into ASNSM-Biology again. Biology 1 apparently doesn't count toward the AoS, so I would need 4 study.com classes. Cost wise that is not much, and I wouldn't have to study much. So it's still the lab which is the problem. I wish that Straighterline's lab kits didn't cost so much, $219 plus shipping each. I think I better go for Biology despite the lab issue.

Edit: I think A&P II at Straighterline would be fun, so maybe I won't do them all at study.com.

Edit: Sanatone couldn't find a standalone Bio II Lab and had to redo Bio II.

I'm disappointed that I didn't study for the TECEP today. That Lit course took more energy than I expected. I also had taxes. Perhaps I will a little bit of studying before I sleep.

Edit: So from now until May 11th, my plan is the SM TECEP and two Study.com courses. Personal Finance, and probably Pathophysiology since that's easy for me. I plan to take the exams back to back. Then, not long after, my study.com credits will reset and I will schedule the next two exams immediately. Public Speaking and one other.

Edit: To make the goal, after the TECEP, I would be doing 24 exams in a bit under 5 months (and Bio II course, I guess). The money could slow me down, or some particular exams/courses.

Edit: TESU has some 1 cr labs! I think it's just Chem and Physics. I wish they had Biology II. But they are expensive anyway.

Edit: If a moderator sees this, it would be great to change my thread title to "BSBA-CIS and ASNSM-Biology".

My plan below has Straighterline Financial Accounting, but there seems to be a Saylor, to save money.

I've tried to evaluate some Business/CIS options that might be easier/quicker, but cost more. I did not find anything. SL has Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Communications, and Macroeconomics, but Saylor is so much cheaper.

For Biology, Straighterline could make sense for me, since I could complete A&P I and A&P II quickly for $59 each, without labs. (In the same month I am already doing the Business/CIS courses.) Microbiology without lab is $79. This would actually add to my out of pocket cost, since the study.com courses are under the scholarship, but it would allow me to complete 2-3 Psych courses (toward a possible future Psych degree)... Edit: that might not work, since I need 30 credits to be obtained BSBA degree conferral. But this would be at COSC and I don't think most have to be in the AoS, just 15.

Also, Saylor has "BIO101B: Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology" but I believe that would duplicate credit I have. I could check.

Hopefully I come across an easier location for exams somehow. My location difficulties make this so much harder.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,998 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,669 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,126 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,663 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,741 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,359 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,604 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,333 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,392 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,868 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore